Spare bed/bedroom ideas needed - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2014, 03:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Spare bed/bedroom ideas needed

We have friends who will be staying with us about a month. They are from CA and will be in our state to do an open adoption. I'll be converting my husband's "mancave" into their room, already have all the baby stuff lined up. I'm not sure what to do about a bed for them. I'll borrow a full size mattress off the spare bed at my parents house and already have linens (my MIL and FIL often come but bring their own air bed). The problem is our house is really old and because older two-story homes have narrow halls and steeper staircases, you cannot fit a full size box spring upstairs. We have a queen sized bed but got a box spring that's two pieces. I never see the two-piecers available for cheap/free and unfortunately we're not in a position to spend $$$ on an entirely new bed system (plus my husband will be wanting his mancave back). I'm trying to think of how to safely and comfortably elevate a normal mattress...?? I can't use a normal bed frame because there won't be a box spring. There are platform beds but so far I haven't seen one available for free/cheap. The best I could think of so far was placing like 20 of those sturdy plastic "milk crate" type cubes upside down and laying the mattress on top of that. I kind of don't want to just put the mattress on the floor, I want them to feel like it's a fairly "normal" space since it will be an extended stay but we're really strapped for cash right now and I've spent some of our own money already on getting all the baby supplies.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2014, 04:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Would your MIL/FIL allow you to borrow their airbed for this month? If you want, you could place that on top of the mattress. Another thought would be a futon or daybed. I'd try the local Habitat ReStore for cheap, and ask on FreeCycle for free. Craig's list also has a "free" section.
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2014, 04:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Some places give away wooden pallets for free. You could utilize those - even double stack them for more height.

Speaking from experiance, when it comes to new babies, young children & house guests - the bed isn't as important as a nice, over stuffed chair, one that rocks is priceless and a TV in the room.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2014, 04:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Have you looked at IKEA? They sell no-box-spring systems for really cheap (<$100). And, I often see them at places like ReStore and craigslist for even cheaper.

The milk crate thing isn't a bad idea- my dad had actually made me a platform bed like that in high school (it was great for extra storage).
LoveEcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2014, 07:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

ooo pallets, that might work.

MIL and FIL live two states away, we won't see them again before our friends arrive.

IKEA is 3 hours away, so just to go there an back is an expensive trip, gas-wise, plus like I said whatever furniture we add to this room temporarily needs to come back out, it won't remain a bedroom. We used to have one of their platform beds and it completely collapsed several times, never again!

There are already two large armchairs in the mancave. We'll keep one or both (if they both fit) for them to use. There's already a TV (well two right now!) in the mancave.

The reason I want the mattress off the floor is that our friends are also expecting and my girlfriend will be over 7 months pregnant when they are here. Now I don't have babies yet myself but I'm guessing at 7 months pregnant you don't want to be getting up off the floor all the time.

You'll probably laugh but....I actually got the milk crate idea from an episode of Red/Green many years ago.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)

Last edited by Liesje; 03-10-2014 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I love Red Green. May your next project be the window awnings made from old car hoods....
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2014, 07:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

You are 100% correct...she being that pregnant won't want to be sleeping right on the floor. Also the comfortable arm chair is a good idea, many times in my later months I slept sitting up due to the weight or position of baby/babies.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
nktigger99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2014, 07:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would get an airbed. They are fine for short term and some of the high end ones are comfortable if you don't have back problems. Futons aren't as comfortable as many of the air beds. Or you can get a futon frame, put a nice air mattress on the futon matress if you need the height.

Last edited by onyx'girl; 03-10-2014 at 07:57 PM.
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2014, 07:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

She WILL be pregnant, over 7 months. We had a futon frame but similar problem to the box spring...can't go up the stairs and make the corner (at least not a futon that's the size of a double bed).
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)

Old 03-10-2014, 10:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla

They have frames for air mattresses. Fold and put away after use for next time.

Cabela's Folding Air Bed Frame with Queen Air Bed and Pump : Cabela's

Below is what we use camping - yeah really roughing it LOL Sleeps great.

Intex Comfort-Rest Rising Comfort Air Bed : Cabela's

Uses regular bedding sizes - on sale right now to Almost the height of a regular bed.
Twyla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.