Article on experts - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2014, 11:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Article on experts

The Death Of Expertise

Interesting article about a percieved death of expertise or rather respect for it in todays information society. Particularly interesting when ive worked both in the medical field and dog training and saw lots of cases of laymen questioning experts.
Baillif is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2014, 12:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

It's a good read. I also like that Dunning Kruger Effect video.

It's sad that many experts stay away from venues like this because they spend more time defending and explaining every little detail instead of being able to just share information.

It's astounding how different inexperienced people are in person versus on the internet.

David Winners

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RET... )
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
David Winners is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2014, 12:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Theyll usually be less prone to voicing the opinion in person but I've noticed they'll shake their heads in agreement and either not come back or disagree in text for by email or something like that.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Here is an excellent companion article on the production of ignorance. Most definitely worth reading.

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2014, 12:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have been a member of quite a few forums from anything ranging from fishing, dogs, phones, computers and video games. Two things I noticed on every one prevail, group think and repetitiveness.

In "group think" whatever the popular opinion is, the old timers, the forum experts or people with the highest post count say becomes the truth or law, anyone that even suggests anything different is usually under assault. In "repetitiveness" people with no idea what they are talking about repeat whatever they have seen, this is an offshoot of "group think". They usually pick someone that sounds like they know what they talking about and when someone asks a question they repeat what the expert said. This leads to new people coming off as experts repeating other people's opinion without the knowledge of how they came to that opinion.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

I liked the article, it always reminds me of a saying by a comedian (whose name I forgot already) about taking advice.

He said something along the lines of "Only take advice from people who achieved what you are trying to achieve, because most people are dangerously stupid". A little harsh that much is true, but it always reminds me to be critical and take everything with a grain of salt.

Are you a real expert with real life experience or are you just rehashing something someone more experienced once said? Did you get to where I'm trying to get or are you just paraphrasing what you read on this site, wikipedia, or google?

Today it is especially important to give the real experts their proper due and be able to discern between useful advice/information and misinformation.

Critical thinking is IMO the most useful skill for the 21st century (so far at least)

Last edited by ayoitzrimz; 03-10-2014 at 12:41 PM.
ayoitzrimz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2014, 12:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okin View Post
I have been a member of quite a few forums from anything ranging from fishing, dogs, phones, computers and video games. Two things I noticed on every one prevail, group think and repetitiveness.

In "group think" whatever the popular opinion is, the old timers, the forum experts or people with the highest post count say becomes the truth or law, anyone that even suggests anything different is usually under assault. In "repetitiveness" people with no idea what they are talking about repeat whatever they have seen, this is an offshoot of "group think". They usually pick someone that sounds like they know what they talking about and when someone asks a question they repeat what the expert said. This leads to new people coming off as experts repeating other people's opinion without the knowledge of how they came to that opinion.
Yes!! Just posted pretty much the same thing
Old 03-10-2014, 12:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post
Yes!! Just posted pretty much the same thing
Lol
Old 03-10-2014, 12:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baillif View Post
Lol
Well we can still agree with other posters no?
Old 03-10-2014, 12:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

I have taken people from a fishing forum out fishing before and they will swear what I am doing will not work or the spot we are fishing will not work based on what they read on the forum. I'm like trust me I'm out here every week doing this. Then they catch a new personal best and I still think they believe I just got lucky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.