German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Chat Room (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/)
-   -   Article on experts (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/422025-article-experts.html)

Baillif 03-10-2014 10:17 AM

Article on experts

The Death Of Expertise

Interesting article about a percieved death of expertise or rather respect for it in todays information society. Particularly interesting when ive worked both in the medical field and dog training and saw lots of cases of laymen questioning experts.

David Winners 03-10-2014 11:13 AM

It's a good read. I also like that Dunning Kruger Effect video.

It's sad that many experts stay away from venues like this because they spend more time defending and explaining every little detail instead of being able to just share information.

It's astounding how different inexperienced people are in person versus on the internet.

David Winners

Baillif 03-10-2014 11:26 AM

Theyll usually be less prone to voicing the opinion in person but I've noticed they'll shake their heads in agreement and either not come back or disagree in text for by email or something like that.

RocketDog 03-10-2014 11:33 AM

Here is an excellent companion article on the production of ignorance. Most definitely worth reading.

Okin 03-10-2014 11:39 AM

I have been a member of quite a few forums from anything ranging from fishing, dogs, phones, computers and video games. Two things I noticed on every one prevail, group think and repetitiveness.

In "group think" whatever the popular opinion is, the old timers, the forum experts or people with the highest post count say becomes the truth or law, anyone that even suggests anything different is usually under assault. In "repetitiveness" people with no idea what they are talking about repeat whatever they have seen, this is an offshoot of "group think". They usually pick someone that sounds like they know what they talking about and when someone asks a question they repeat what the expert said. This leads to new people coming off as experts repeating other people's opinion without the knowledge of how they came to that opinion.

ayoitzrimz 03-10-2014 11:39 AM

I liked the article, it always reminds me of a saying by a comedian (whose name I forgot already) about taking advice.

He said something along the lines of "Only take advice from people who achieved what you are trying to achieve, because most people are dangerously stupid". A little harsh that much is true, but it always reminds me to be critical and take everything with a grain of salt.

Are you a real expert with real life experience or are you just rehashing something someone more experienced once said? Did you get to where I'm trying to get or are you just paraphrasing what you read on this site, wikipedia, or google?

Today it is especially important to give the real experts their proper due and be able to discern between useful advice/information and misinformation.

Critical thinking is IMO the most useful skill for the 21st century (so far at least)

ayoitzrimz 03-10-2014 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Okin (Post 5167433)
I have been a member of quite a few forums from anything ranging from fishing, dogs, phones, computers and video games. Two things I noticed on every one prevail, group think and repetitiveness.

In "group think" whatever the popular opinion is, the old timers, the forum experts or people with the highest post count say becomes the truth or law, anyone that even suggests anything different is usually under assault. In "repetitiveness" people with no idea what they are talking about repeat whatever they have seen, this is an offshoot of "group think". They usually pick someone that sounds like they know what they talking about and when someone asks a question they repeat what the expert said. This leads to new people coming off as experts repeating other people's opinion without the knowledge of how they came to that opinion.

Yes!! Just posted pretty much the same thing :)

Baillif 03-10-2014 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz (Post 5167449)
Yes!! Just posted pretty much the same thing :)

Lol

ayoitzrimz 03-10-2014 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baillif (Post 5167457)
Lol

Well we can still agree with other posters no?

Okin 03-10-2014 11:47 AM

I have taken people from a fishing forum out fishing before and they will swear what I am doing will not work or the spot we are fishing will not work based on what they read on the forum. I'm like trust me I'm out here every week doing this. Then they catch a new personal best and I still think they believe I just got lucky.