Why is hunting neccessary? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2014, 01:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Why is hunting neccessary?

I don't like hunting and don't understand why some people think its needed some like myself disagree with hunting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2014, 01:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

It's a sport for some and for some it may be part of survival? I don't like it either maybe because I'm a girl soft at heart.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Mala is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2014, 02:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Game management, theres no more predators and if we dont kill the animals theyll overpopulate and then crash.
volcano is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2014, 02:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If it's done legally, responsibly, and humanely, and you eat what you kill, I have no problem with hunting.

Lobo, how do you feel about predators? They hunt, kill and eat other animals. Is that wrong?
Freestep is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2014, 02:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

I was a very poor single parent that relied on food banks to get through the week. I made friends with a family that hunted and used the meat to supplement protein. She could cook venison and elk beautifully and the sausage and jerky that they had made was rich and delicious. It was better than the cheap, nasty meat that I could buy.

I don't hunt and I dislike hunting for sport but if you are going to eat meat, it's best to know where it comes from.
blehmannwa is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2014, 02:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

I agree that as long as you do it legally, humanely, and you eat it then there is nothing wrong with it. To me it is better than farming animals, then herding them up and slaughtering them en masse. At least with hunting they have a chance to escape and such.

Unless you're a vegetarian, I think it's a bit hypocritical to be against sustenance hunting. Now sport hunting is another thing entirely, and I think it is stupid. Killing for the fun of it or to be able to brag about the animals you killed seems like a waste of life.

AkariKuragi is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2014, 03:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Let me preface with I've never personally hunted an animal.

At the same time, SW PA had and still has a horrible White Tailed Deer problem. I can't count how many car wrecks were caused by deer just darting out into the road, or just being in the middle of the road. The deer were also human aggressive. I can't count how many times during my 24 years in Pittsburgh I was chased back into my house by deer who just didn't give a darn when trying to go to school, or walking my dog. There's nothing like trying to go to your car at 5 am...and then having to call your boss and tell them you are going to be late because there were five deer standing around your car and all the yelling and screaming in the world did nothing but irk them and make them come after you.

Hunting was the only thing that kept the numbers down. I'd rather a hunter take the animal and use it for meat to feed their family and friends than Fish and Game doing night hunts in your back yard and not giving the meat to needy families. The minute my neighbors got permission for cull hunting (higher tag limits due to nuisance deer and permission for out of season hunts) the problem deer went away and it wasn't so crazy. During rutting season and during any deer rushes (seasonal movement) we didn't have to worry as much about getting caught by a deer. It extended to other animals.

Personally, I love wild game. There's not much wild game that I haven't sampled, but I only eat off of what was being used for food, not sport. Sport hunting does nothing for me and I wish it was outlawed. I feel, unless you are using the entire animal, you shouldn't be able to take it.

Finnian The Irish Lad WGSD: SAR
Abeni the Little Warrior: Pomeranian rescue.

"Res nos operor ut alius algo"
"Go mairidís beo"

Last edited by Shaolin; 03-03-2014 at 03:13 AM. Reason: Sent post before I was ready.
Shaolin is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2014, 03:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

I don't understand how or even why someone would kill a lion or tiger or elephant, what is the purpose?

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

http://www.epi4dogs.com/epiinsnapshots.htm
Harry and Lola is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2014, 06:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

I dont hunt. never have. But I do receive large quantities of deer meat from friends. Saves me money on meat during the winter. As everyone says as long as its legal then I have no problems with hunting animals for sport or survival. People fish too, killing animals..but we have to rely on the laws to protect the animals as well from illegal killings

Tom

Penny - 9/7/12 (GSD)

Abbi -5/9/09-12/7/12 (GSD)
TommyB681 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2014, 06:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mala View Post
It's a sport for some and for some it may be part of survival? I don't like it either maybe because I'm a girl soft at heart.

Being soft is not the same as being weak.

Being cruel is not the same as being strong.

Being clever is not the same as being wise.
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.