German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Chat Room (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/)
-   -   Red Eared Slider and Minnows (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/418154-red-eared-slider-minnows.html)

HarleyTheGSD 03-01-2014 03:33 PM

Red Eared Slider and Minnows

I'm wondering if I can put a few small minnows in the tank with my red eared slider turtle. His shell is approximately 5 inches long and 3 inches wide. His head is about the size of my thumb. Will the minnows harm him in any way/ annoy him? Are they a nutritious treat?

Discoetheque 03-01-2014 07:15 PM

The minnows will not bother your turtle. He may decide to snack on them, though...lol. They are a fun and tasty treat...I used to get them for my slider when I was a kid, and it was fun to watch him tear around the tank after them. A much better option than goldfish, which provide little to no nutritional value.

HarleyTheGSD 03-01-2014 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discoetheque (Post 5118450)
The minnows will not bother your turtle. He may decide to snack on them, though...lol. They are a fun and tasty treat...I used to get them for my slider when I was a kid, and it was fun to watch him tear around the tank after them. A much better option than goldfish, which provide little to no nutritional value.

Thank you for the reply! I'll definitely get some minnows for him this year.

coulter 03-01-2014 08:40 PM

I used to feed all of my red eared sliders nothing but minnows from my pond. Loved watching them chase the minnows around the cage

Lucy Dog 03-01-2014 09:03 PM

Don't be surprised when the minnows aren't there in the morning.

What kind of set up do you have?

HarleyTheGSD 03-01-2014 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucy Dog (Post 5118985)
Don't be surprised when the minnows aren't there in the morning.

What kind of set up do you have?

Oh, I know. :)
30 gallon aquarium (short). Filled less than halfway with water. Maybe five inches deep. A few plant decorations. A basking/ hiding rock, and another cooler basking area.

Lucy Dog 03-01-2014 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarleyTheGSD (Post 5119161)
Oh, I know. :)
30 gallon aquarium (short). Filled less than halfway with water. Maybe five inches deep. A few plant decorations. A basking/ hiding rock, and another cooler basking area.

Did you just get him? You're probably going to need to upgrade soon. I had two sliders at one point and they were in a 75 gallon tank and that was getting a little tight for them. I was close to getting them a 150 gallon tank, but didn't have the room at the time for it. Sliders get big.

I had it about 3/4 full and a nice big filter. I think it was rated for like 200+ gallons. Those turtles poop a lot and make that tank really dirty.

This was a while ago but their main diet were those pellets every few days. Minnows or crickets once a week. And they always had access to leafy greens. Mine loved collard greens. I always had some floating at the top of the tank.

Make sure they have a nice dry dock and a heating lamp right on top of the dock. You'll also need a fluorescent UV-B lamp as well. Make sure you have both types of lights.

HarleyTheGSD 03-01-2014 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucy Dog (Post 5119201)
Did you just get him? You're probably going to need to upgrade soon. I had two sliders at one point and they were in a 75 gallon tank and that was getting a little tight for them. I was close to getting them a 150 gallon tank, but didn't have the room at the time for it. Sliders get big.

I had it about 3/4 full and a nice big filter. I think it was rated for like 200+ gallons. Those turtles poop a lot and make that tank really dirty.

This was a while ago but their main diet were those pellets every few days. Minnows or crickets once a week. And they always had access to leafy greens. Mine loved collard greens. I always had some floating at the top of the tank.

Make sure they have a nice dry dock and a heating lamp right on top of the dock. You'll also need a fluorescent UV-B lamp as well. Make sure you have both types of lights.

I've had him for about seven years. Got him when he was only about two inches long. Yes, I have all of this. I actually am looking to buy a larger aquarium soon. I don't have the money now, but it's definitely on my list of things to buy. I'll probably buy on craigslist.

Lucy Dog 03-01-2014 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarleyTheGSD (Post 5119225)
I've had him for about seven years. Got him when he was only about two inches long. Yes, I have all of this. I actually am looking to buy a larger aquarium soon. I don't have the money now, but it's definitely on my list of things to buy. I'll probably buy on craigslist.

Oh.. haha. Sounded like you just got them and wasn't sure what to feed. Definitely get him some minnows to chase around and eat. I used to get my two about 10 every week.

HarleyTheGSD 03-02-2014 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucy Dog (Post 5119361)
Oh.. haha. Sounded like you just got them and wasn't sure what to feed. Definitely get him some minnows to chase around and eat. I used to get my two about 10 every week.

How many should I put in at a time?