Grills... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2014, 03:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Grills...

...the kind for food. I'd like to get one for my husband because my puppy is driving him nuts. Right now we just use one of those little round charcoal grills. We do burgers, dogs, steaks, kabobs and would probably never grill for more than 4-6 people at a time so we don't need something huge. Even that would be a stretch, it's usually just us or us and another couple, not looking to feed the block. I don't think I need special "attachments". I have no clue about brands, type (charcoal vs. gas, or both?), prices.... Just something simple and affordable. What should I be looking to spend? Just look for a sale at Lowes, or....?
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Last edited by Liesje; 02-24-2014 at 03:05 PM.
Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2014, 03:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

OMG! You're going to deny your DH the pleasure of BBQ shopping?! That so wouldn't fly around here. I'd be singing Tammy Wynette if I did that.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2014, 03:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If you're going propane, don't get anything but a weber. They're more expensive than the cheap lowes or home depot brands, but you're paying for the quality. They're built 100x better than the cheaper brands.

If you're going charcoal, I'd still get a weber too.
Lucy Dog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2014, 03:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

depends on how much you would like to spend. When researching grills almost 2 years ago I found that Weber GAS grills were one of the only in my price range that had the correct type of stainless steel. All the others had a cheaper Chinese stainless that rusts pretty quickly. I prefer gas because I'm a frequent griller and I save $10 a week not buying charcoal.

Stay away from familiar brands like viking, etc that don't traditionally make grills. Kitchen aid (I think that was the brand) made a version for Costco that was a disaster. They get paid to throw their name on a piece of junk.
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2014, 03:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

I'm no expert in grilling, but we recently changed from a regular ole propane grill to an indirect heat propane grill. The indirect seems to cook quicker, but the real benefit was the eveness of the cook. We do not have to worry about flames up either, and if we had the urge, we could steam crab/lobster on it as well. I wish I could remember the brand though... We bought one that you had to put together yourself, handmade blahblah, but I think it was fairly decent in price. I'll look around for some info.

*** Here's a link to the grill we bought, I have no idea how much my dad paid though. Bubbasovens

I will say, the only downside, was having to put it together. The directions were humorous at best.

***** I personally would like one of these bad boys, but I'm more into smoking than grilling. Portable Pig Cooker & Grill - Bubba's Ovens

Last edited by ApselBear; 02-24-2014 at 03:20 PM.
ApselBear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2014, 03:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

For 4-6 people, you could probably get away with something like this. Might get a little tight for 6, but you should get by. Depends what you're grilling.

Amazon.com: Weber Genesis 6511001 E-310 637-Square-Inch 38,000-BTU Liquid-Propane Gas Grill, Black: Patio, Lawn & Garden Amazon.com: Weber Genesis 6511001 E-310 637-Square-Inch 38,000-BTU Liquid-Propane Gas Grill, Black: Patio, Lawn & Garden
Old 02-24-2014, 03:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApselBear View Post
I'm no expert in grilling, but we recently changed from a regular ole propane grill to an indirect heat propane grill. The indirect seems to cook quicker, but the real benefit was the eveness of the cook. We do not have to worry about flames up either, and if we had the urge, we could steam crab/lobster on it as well. I wish I could remember the brand though... We bought one that you had to put together yourself, handmade blahblah, but I think it was fairly decent in price. I'll look around for some info.
Those indirect cookers are basically just outdoor ovens. When you're grilling, you want high heat and flames with stuff like burgers and steaks. That's why charcoal grills cook so well. They burn so hot.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

How fussy are you with your meat? I'm super picky about how I like my steak cooked, so the searing feature on ours gets used alot. You might not need this though.

ETA: ApselBear, lol - we had screws left over. What a nightmare that was!

Last edited by Blanketback; 02-24-2014 at 03:23 PM.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2014, 03:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Dog View Post
Those indirect cookers are basically just outdoor ovens. When you're grilling, you want high heat and flames with stuff like burgers and steaks. That's why charcoal grills cook so well. They burn so hot.
Actually our indirect gets plenty hot for burgers and steaks. All the indirect does, is spread the heat out evenly and prevent flare ups.
**But you will miss the flame charring that some people do look for... besides that though the flavor isn't any better or worse.

@ Blanket- Yea we had a few leftovers, and also had to force some of the different parts to fit when they didn't really want to lol

Last edited by ApselBear; 02-24-2014 at 03:27 PM.
ApselBear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2014, 03:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Real charcoal is the only way to go...
GSKnight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.