Grills... - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2014, 02:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApselBear View Post
Actually our indirect gets plenty hot for burgers and steaks. All the indirect does, is spread the heat out evenly and prevent flare ups.
Just like an oven does. That was my point... it's just an outdoor oven instead of a grill. I'm sure it cooks things just fine though. I'm not doubting that. It's just not the way I'd go.

Indirect heat is good for slow cooking. When I smoke ribs or a pork butt, I'm using indirect heat, but I'm also smoking at 250-275 degrees on a smoker instead of a grill. When I'm cooking burgers, I want it at like 700 degrees or as hot as possible for a nice medium rare.
Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2014, 02:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSKnight View Post
Real charcoal is the only way to go...
Amen to that, but a lot of people don't want to deal with charcoal. Gas is much easier.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Dog View Post
Just like an oven does. That was my point... it's just an outdoor oven instead of a grill. I'm sure it cooks things just fine though. I'm not doubting that. It's just not the way I'd go.

Indirect heat is good for slow cooking. When I smoke ribs or a pork butt, I'm using indirect heat, but I'm also smoking at 250-275 degrees on a smoker instead of a grill. When I'm cooking burgers, I want it at like 700 degrees or as hot as possible for a nice medium rare.
Well I guess I'm not seeing your full point, because my indirect grill will hit 700 no problem. It's keeping it low heat that is difficult. The only real difference between this indirect heat grill is a metal pan has been placed over the flame to catch grease and prevent flame ups.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Well I guess I'm not seeing your full point, because my indirect grill will hit 700 no problem. It's keeping it low heat that is difficult. The only real difference between this indirect heat grill is a metal pan has been placed over the flame to catch grease and prevent flame ups.
Really? I'd think it would be pretty hard to get a cooking surface up to something as hot as 600-700 degrees unless it was directly over it's heat source. I could be wrong though.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Really? I'd think it would be pretty hard to get a cooking surface up to something as hot as 600-700 degrees unless it was directly over it's heat source. I could be wrong though.
The pan sits just over the flame and the meats on the grill above it.
On the lowest setting we hit 400-425. Barely turning the knob really cranks the heat though, I would be afraid to turn it past half strength.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:47 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
The pan sits just over the flame and the meats on the grill above it.
On the lowest setting we hit 400-425. Barely turning the knob really cranks the heat though, I would be afraid to turn it past half strength.
Their website has the max temp at 500.

BBQ Ovens & Stainless Steel BBQ Grills - Bubba's Ovens
Old 02-24-2014, 02:53 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Their website has the max temp at 500.

BBQ Ovens & Stainless Steel BBQ Grills - Bubba's Ovens

I never noticed that. I wonder why our grill seems so powerful then. We never made any modifications to the burner or anything.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 02-24-2014, 02:57 PM   #18 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Forget the temp, how can you BBQ without the carcinogenic charring? That's the best part, lol!
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2014, 02:59 PM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
I never noticed that. I wonder why our grill seems so powerful then. We never made any modifications to the burner or anything.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Are you using one of those built in metal thermometers to gauge temp? They're very poorly built and really inaccurate. Get a quality digital thermometer like this one if you really want to know what temp you're cooking at.

Amazon.com: Maverick Et-732 Remote Bbq Smoker Thermometer: Patio, Lawn & Garden Amazon.com: Maverick Et-732 Remote Bbq Smoker Thermometer: Patio, Lawn & Garden

If it's not a quality digital, it's most likely junk.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:18 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Hubby was the BBQ king in the family. He even built his own pit from scratch & included a fire box. Ended up so big and heavy, he had to use the tractor to move it. Then...he found the art of propane.

I like propane better because I don't have charcoal spillage (new and used) everywhere. We don't have to keep fire wood for the fire box anymore. Whereas that doesn't seem like a big deal, it is to me when you find little nasties living in your stored wood.

The grill he purchased also has a burner on the side. So he can multi task while watching the grill. He mounted the entire grill on a small (cheap) furniture dolly so he can easily roll it any where on the porch (not just count on the one side with wheels). I like the dolly idea as it makes cleaning easy and I can move it out of the way when it's not being used.

But alas...once he got the grill mastered, he purchased a smoker. His new love, the smoker. Easy to regulate the heat. He can put a couple of briskets on low and leave them on all night with out the fear of losing temp...unless it's windy and the flame from the propane tank blows out.

We actually did our Thanksgiving Turkey on the smoker last year. It was really good.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.