German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Chat Room (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/)
-   -   Couldn't live without a dog, so we adopted an Akita! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/413938-couldnt-live-without-dog-so-we-adopted-akita.html)

Caitlin 02-20-2014 10:50 PM

Couldn't live without a dog, so we adopted an Akita!

Hey guys! Long time no talk. After the passing of my Mali (GSD) I kind of left the board a while. It's been rough not owning a dog. I always said I wanted German Shepherds my whole life, but I wanted to wait until I found a breeder with the perfect pup for me and until I had loads of time to train a puppy. So I am waiting, probably for another few years.

That said, I have found that it is hard to handle not having a dog in the house. I have my two cats, and they're great, but you know they're not dogs. They can't go anywhere with you! So after a couple of months of discussion and intense diliberation my fiancÚ and I decided to adopt an older dog who desperately needed a home. We scanned shelters for months, met a few, but never fell in love with any of them.

Until today. Today we met George. He will be renamed, something my fiancÚ has yet to come up with, but for now I'll just refer to him by his shelter name. He was found roaming the streets with another Akita, most likely a breeding pair, according to the shelter. He looks purebred but I am not positive so I will post pictures later. I intend to pick him up tomorrow after buying some necessities he'll need. He's good with dogs, cats, and extremely friendly. The shelter described him as hard to adopt because he's big and a project dog, due to his lack of manners when playing. He mouths and rough houses a bit too much for the average person. I don't see an issue with being able to train that out of him (his other house manners demonstrate that he most definitely seemed to live in a house before becoming a stray) but this is my first Akita type dog so any advice would be appreciated. He's already a big boy, around 85 pounds with a head like a bear. I'm extremely excited to finally having a dog again, even know I know some intense training is in order.

So any advice from anyone with Akita experience? I plan on training him to run with me eventually (I've gotten to where I love running) so hopefully he'll like that.

:wild:

GSDBESTK9 02-20-2014 10:56 PM

This is very interesting, my boss found a pair (male and female) of Akitas running at large a few years ago as well. She kept the male and her dad kept the female. I wonder if there is a local breeder is dumping them when he/she no longer needs them. :(

Caitlin 02-20-2014 11:04 PM

They actually told me that around the same time they found this pair they found a lot of other Akita's in the area which seems to be rare. He wasn't neutered when they found him so that definitely could be the case.

onyx'girl 02-20-2014 11:06 PM

They are gorgeous, but I think a challenge as far as training. Aren't they known for being a bit dog aggressive and very protective of their handlers....more so than a GSD?
I think the DA probably comes from other dogs reacting at their body language/tailset. So it is a 'reputation' but not a genetic trait. I can't wait to see photo's of formerly George.
That is interesting, Carolina. Hope a breeder isn't dumping dogs.

Caitlin 02-20-2014 11:11 PM

Yes I read a lot about the other animal aggression found in the breed. He routinely plays with the other dogs there, large and small and they reported no issues as well as telling me that during his cat tests he just didn't seem much interested in them at all. We'll see how forthcoming the shelter has been but from the interactions I've had with him, seen him in, and videos I've watched of him with other animals he seems like a big goofy sweetheart. To be honest he sort of reminded me of a less hyperactive Lab in an Akita body. Which is why maybe he might be mixed with something, or we just got lucky?

KathrynApril 02-20-2014 11:12 PM

Good luck with the adopted dog an look forward to pics! :D

Caitlin 02-20-2014 11:13 PM

Here is a video of him playing with one of the other dogs: Video

That's from the shelter's site, I hope to get better pictures and stuff tomorrow.

Angelina03 02-20-2014 11:35 PM

He looks super sweet and friendly. Congratulations.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

shepherdmom 02-20-2014 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caitlin (Post 5059186)
So any advice from anyone with Akita experience? I plan on training him to run with me eventually (I've gotten to where I love running) so hopefully he'll like that.

We had a rescue Akita for many years. Great dog. Was fine with other big dogs, hated cats and small dogs. Wonderful with kids. Blows coat twice a year. OMG so much fur! :D:eek: Any questions please ask! :)

Gretchen 02-20-2014 11:51 PM

I'm sorry about being a downer, but my daughter's roommate has an Akita that has attacked Molly twice now. We no longer have contact. We used to walk with a man with an Akita over 100lbs. His dog had a history of killing one and maybe another dog. He would keep his dog about 10' away from Molly at all times, he did not trust his dog, even though he felt his dog liked Molly and enjoyed walking 10' behind her. Another neighbor with an Akita also does not trust his dog around others, so he is a loner.

My daughter's roommates' dog loves everyone in their household, her dog and a cat. It seems very possessive and protective.