German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Chat Room (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/)
-   -   Rat Question: (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/411074-rat-question.html)

HarleyTheGSD 02-14-2014 02:58 PM

Rat Question:

I'd like to start out by saying that I think rats are adorable creatures. I would love to have one as a pet. I know that they are very intelligent, clean animals. But I heard somewhere that they are extremely social and need another rat companion to keep them happy. Is this true? How much time would one have to dedicate to a rat if this is true and you keep one rat?
How much time should you spend in general?

Freddy 02-14-2014 03:01 PM

I Bet someone on here would know: Rat Forum

SourisUmbrella 02-14-2014 03:06 PM

As someone who has owned plenty of rats, I have known people who have had pet rats that do fine by just themselves if that is something your bent on doing. Whether you get one rat or two, you should spend as much time with them as you can- 30 minutes, 2 hours, whatever you can. They are very social, and are just fine wandering around in a safe area while you watch over them while you do homework, dishes, whatever.

However, nothing replaces the loving, constant companionship of another rat of the same gender as a cage mate. They groom one another, sleep and play together, and form a deep bond.

Whatever you decide, having more than one won't make them love you any less. : ) I think you're making a great choice- rats are, in my opinion, the best rodent pet one could ask for!

HarleyTheGSD 02-14-2014 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SourisUmbrella (Post 5022322)
As someone who has owned plenty of rats, I have known people who have had pet rats that do fine by just themselves if that is something your bent on doing. Whether you get one rat or two, you should spend as much time with them as you can- 30 minutes, 2 hours, whatever you can. They are very social, and are just fine wandering around in a safe area while you watch over them while you do homework, dishes, whatever.

However, nothing replaces the loving, constant companionship of another rat of the same gender as a cage mate. They groom one another, sleep and play together, and form a deep bond.

Whatever you decide, having more than one won't make them love you any less. : ) I think you're making a great choice- rats are, in my opinion, the best rodent pet one could ask for!

Thank you for this information! In the past, I had the choice to get either a rat or a hamster. I got a hamster, because I heard some deceiving information about rats. I regret the decision. :( I sold the hamster before I got my second GSD, because I wanted to spend all of my time with the new pup. Now that he's all grown up, I'd like to add a new addition. :)

HarleyTheGSD 02-14-2014 03:47 PM

Also, what size cage would be suitable? If you could post pictures, that would be especially helpful.

Mikelia 02-14-2014 05:53 PM

Two rats are no more work than one rat and the benefit GREATLY from companionship. Think of it like feeding ol' roy vs a good quality kibble or raw; yes they survive but do they thrive?
Here is a rat cage calculator page Ratty Corner Cage Calculator
It is generally recommended 2 cubic feet of cage space per rat. They LOVE to climb so a wire cage is ideal, also allows for more ventilation. They need small bar spacing so finding a larger cage with small bar spacing can be difficult.
And here is an AWESOME general info page on keeping rats as pets The Dapper Rat

HarleyTheGSD 02-14-2014 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikelia (Post 5022962)
Two rats are no more work than one rat and the benefit GREATLY from companionship. Think of it like feeding ol' roy vs a good quality kibble or raw; yes they survive but do they thrive?
Here is a rat cage calculator page Ratty Corner Cage Calculator
It is generally recommended 2 cubic feet of cage space per rat. They LOVE to climb so a wire cage is ideal, also allows for more ventilation. They need small bar spacing so finding a larger cage with small bar spacing can be difficult.
And here is an AWESOME general info page on keeping rats as pets The Dapper Rat

I understand. Thank you.
I was thinking maybe I could buy two rats and l could give one to my boyfriend. So we each have our own pet rat! :D Does that seem acceptable? Thank you so much for the info!

HarleyTheGSD 02-14-2014 08:15 PM

Oh! Forgot to ask. I'm assuming two males will do fine together, since same sexes may be housed in the same cage. Correct me if I'm wrong. I've always only had male pets, wouldn't want anything else. :)

S.F. 02-14-2014 08:23 PM

We have rats. They are cute, clean and will ride on your shoulder like a parrot. They live about two years. Females can live together in a small group. We have had up to four of them at once. Our vet said males should not live together. We did have one male with three females. All neutered and spayed. We would take them out if the cage about three times a day. If you get one be sure and research safe foods for them to eat. They are prone to tumors.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

dogfaeries 02-14-2014 08:58 PM

I've had 2 males living together before. They were best friends and spent a lot of time snuggled together in a hammock in their cage. My mother had a rat named Julie that ran around in her computer room, and would come if you called her. She was adorable.

Sent from Petguide.com App