German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Chat Room (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/)
-   -   Snowed in at the kennel (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/410434-snowed-kennel.html)

Baillif 02-12-2014 10:58 PM

Snowed in at the kennel

So durham nc is currently under 5 inches of snow. While thats not much for some places here its grounds for a state of emergency and everything shuts down. Except the kennel. We're here the dogs are here. Weirdly enough a 8 week old husky puppy showed up just before the blizzard. Shes here too and hopefully doesnt scream me awake every 2 hours.

Probably will though

onyx'girl 02-12-2014 11:02 PM

Mush her!

Loneforce 02-12-2014 11:05 PM

Maybe she will surprise you. Wishing you a safe quiet evening.

d4lilbitz 02-12-2014 11:09 PM

You're first pupp sleepover lol!

Jax08 02-12-2014 11:10 PM

5"? Yikes! Does our area even have the appropriate snow plows?

llombardo 02-12-2014 11:13 PM

I don't want to see snow again for a long time. We have had about 65 inches so far and I can't remember the last time I remember all of these piles staying around for so long. It could cause an issue for flooding here shortly:(

JoeyG 02-12-2014 11:16 PM

Good luck! Hope you make it through ok, if all else fails just let them out to play in the snow. Haven't met a dog that doesn't love it yet :-)

onyx'girl 02-12-2014 11:17 PM

I feel bad for all the people down south. This system is creating havoc. I hope you get a warm up shortly so the power can be restored.
We've had over 100" of snow this winter with no thaw. It's going to be a mess when it does melt. I just hope the rain isn't part of the meltdown.

Baillif 02-12-2014 11:26 PM

Not the first time ive slept with the trainers. I spent two nights in a row with this same class a week or so ago the last time it iced over. I keep a pillow and sleeping bag here permanently sometimes just for if we train late into the night and theres no point in going home because morning let out is not far off.

The little husky came in a screamer. They only had her 3 days but since they let her out anytime she was "panicking" it became a trick of hers. Shes been quiet the last few hours though. Shes been super cute in the snow.

selzer 02-12-2014 11:32 PM

Ok, so I am about 5'6". The kennels are 6'. Now when I stand on the snow outside the kennels my head is level with them.

Since most of the kennels are covered, this is kind of a problem. I also have 2x4s spanning across the top of the kennels and the contractor put them so that the 4" is coming down from the top of the kennel. So if I was 5'8" they would brush the top of my head. Fine in the summer time, spring and fall. But in winter when there is, like now, a good 4" solidly packed down in the kennel where the dogs have run back and fourth and back and fourth. Well... it is ok if I do my normal routine and duck in all the right spots. When something out of the ordinary happens, it is good that I wear a hat as it can soften the blow somewhat.

I am ready for winter to go away now.