Change of career dilemma - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2014, 12:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Change of career dilemma

I may have the opportunity to work with K9 Dogs with a very respected Kennel. It may be a once in a lifetime opportunity for me, who knows.

I currently work for my family. I've been with them for roughly 7 hours. Since I was in high school and now I'm 24 and run all the IT stuff and I'm the only one here that does it.

So I feel its my responsibility to not let them down and put in my time here, maybe one day I'll be running the whole show and be making 6 digits?

I don't mind my job now, its definitely not what I pictured myself doing for the rest of my life. But I make good money and its not hard work. Sometimes its really stressful and they say desk jobs are rough since your chained to your desk all day.

I just bought my first house last year, so I have bills. And I just got engaged, so there will be a wedding next year.

I do not know what they will offer me working for the kennel, but I'm sure its going to be significantly less than I'm making now until I prove myself and work my way up.

My fiancé brings in a steady paycheck but still has a little over a year left of school and then will have her bachelors degree and already has a job lined up, a good job. So I know when that time comes we'll be fine.

But is it worth struggling in the process? Especially with a wedding being planned and all these new changes, sacrifices, etc.

What do you guys think (I need a shoulder or guardian angel) (Beauty school drop out )
nikon22shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2014, 01:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Maybe ask yourself if what you want right now (K9 job) is worth giving up what you want most (head of your family business). Not saying that it's an either/or, but something to think about. It sounds like a fun job, but will you be doing it the next 20 years or is this just something you want to try your hand at?

Could you go to part time at your current job and also work at the kennel?
Old 02-05-2014, 02:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Let me start out by saying I had a similar experience. I worked for the family business for 10 years. I kept hearing "one day this will be yours". My father wanted nothing more than to hand me a legacy. He sure couldn't hand me an inheritance. This business was tough, feast or famine. I eventually determined that I didn't want it. We had very open communication and I expressed my concerns. When the opportunity came, I took it at age 30 with two kids, a mortgage etc. It was tough. I worked both jobs for quite a while just so I didn't leave my father holding the bag. He eventually sold the business and retired. He was proud of me and I moved up. I am no longer there but it opened other doors. In healthcare IT now.

I'm all about following your passions but I'm not sure this is a good move at this stage in your life. However, I'm not sure there is going to be a better time to do it. Is there any way you can work at the Kennel part time and keep your current job? I may consider that but probably wouldn't leave what you have now, especially in this economy.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Hey, sorry got tied up...

While money isn't everything, it sure helps to ease your mind when you have bills to pay.

I believe I could do both, however I already manage two jobs at the same time, my full time job and then I do photography on the side and do pretty decent. So will three jobs be way too much!?!?

I'm waiting to hear back from the Kennel to see their terms and agreement. Once I see what they can offer me, I'll know for sure.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

I was doing photography on the side as well. I finally got so busy I had to give it up for awhile. This week I was asked to do some photos of the pups in our puppy class. I'm rusty as **** but I think I am going to blow the dust off the Canon and give it a shot.

One lady in our class was driving me nutz for a photo of our pup. She is in love with him. I sent her one and she went crazy about it then asked if I would take some shots of her German Short Haired Pointer for her and I agreed. Nice lady, I make her out to sound like a loon in text.

Sounds like we have a lot in common.....
Old 02-06-2014, 09:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think you and your wife need to decide this together, we really can't help you.

You can work 3 jobs if you can handle being busy, you might go weeks without a day off but if it's something you really want to do then you can do it.

Sinister ~ black GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ Dalmatian 6.30.13

Last edited by LaRen616; 02-06-2014 at 09:33 AM.
LaRen616 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2014, 09:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'll be the old lady.....you need to consider benefits. Which position offers better benefits? You are about to get married, start a family. You'll need good health care, disability, retirement.

If you are doing what you love, it's easier to get by on a limited income. But down the road, when you have a pregnant wife, sick kids and a leaky roof, you start second guessing the decisions made at this point in life.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2014, 09:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

What would you be doing at the kennel-Have you ever done that-If not trying it out for a while without quitting your current job might be a good idea
holland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2014, 10:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Spooks - Sure does, you post your photos online anywhere? Website?

Lilie - Thank you for that. My current job, I have awesome benefits and like I mentioned earlier, I have a chance to make some really good money, right now I'm about 20/hr. Which I don't think is bad for my age?

I guess the only downfall is its not how I pictured my life and what I "want" to do.

Also, this K9 position would just to be something fun to do because I think I would enjoy it, rather than actually making a "career" out of it.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:04 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by holland View Post
What would you be doing at the kennel-Have you ever done that-If not trying it out for a while without quitting your current job might be a good idea
I would start at the bottom, cleaning up poop and washing the dogs, and learning the basics of their program. But they said they need another trainer, not a pooper scooper. So I guess after 3-6 months of learning the basics, I would shadow their training program and help handle the dogs.

And no, I've never worked at a Kennel before, other than help out in a class or two, and taking photos of course.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.