German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Chat Room (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/)
-   -   To People from Outside the U.S. - Is the Super Bowl popular in your country? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/405010-people-outside-u-s-super-bowl-popular-your-country.html)

Gretchen 02-01-2014 10:29 AM

To People from Outside the U.S. - Is the Super Bowl popular in your country?

The Super Bowl is almost like a national holiday in the U.S. Our employee took this weekend off, he's a big sports fan. I look at it as an opportunity to go shopping or take my dog to a fun outdoor place without any crowds.

What is the perception of it outside the U.S.?

Kahrg4 02-01-2014 10:36 AM

When I've lived overseas it was nothing. Most countries have their own major sport event that gets similar attention and Americans are usually just ignorant of it. When was the last time an American sat down to watch the AFL Grand Final?

alexg 02-01-2014 10:49 AM

I know people that do not care about the SB in this country...

dogfaeries 02-01-2014 10:57 AM

Many years ago we were on a trip to Egypt for 2 weeks. The day we got there, the Super Bowl was on. Dallas and Buffalo were playing. We were watching the game in our room, and Thurman Thomas (of the Bills) had the ball and was running for all he was worth, when suddenly the Super Bowl disappeared and was replaced by some South African cricket game. I almost had a stroke. The football game never came back on, and I had to find out who won the next morning in the newspaper.

Saphire 02-01-2014 11:06 AM

Huge in Canada.....employers can wxpwct many sick calls tomorrow.

Susan_GSD_mom 02-01-2014 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexg (Post 4945234)

uhhh, wellll, I do like to watch the commercials... I hear there's a cute one with a puppy and a Clydesdale this year, I'll make sure to catch that...

dogfaeries 02-01-2014 01:45 PM

That Clydesdale commercial last year made me get all teary eyed. Not so sure I can keep it together if they add a puppy to it!

Chip18 02-01-2014 01:50 PM

Quote:

I'm going to watch "The Puppy Bowel" on the Animal Channel!:D

gsdsar 02-01-2014 01:54 PM

I have lots better things to do than watch multimillionaires throw a ball around.

I went to Ireland a few years ago and there was a huge Hurling game on. I think that's what it's called. Flags flying, pubs crazy. It was a blast!!! Never heard of the sport before then.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Liesje 02-01-2014 02:11 PM

Quote:

Definitely. Maybe it's a regional or work culture thing but it's most definitely not akin to a national holiday for us (my family or work place). I'm going to my parents tomorrow...to watch movies and Downton Abbey, lol. March Madness and/or MLB playoffs if the Tigers are in it are a much bigger deal.