RIP Pete Seeger - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2014, 07:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator
 
jocoyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 14,456
Default RIP Pete Seeger

The planet lost a great one yesterday. If you don't know who Pete Seeger was, he is worth learning about!

Pete Seeger, legendary folk singer, dies at 94 - The Washington Post
__________________
Nancy
www.scsarda.org

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-28-2014, 09:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
glinny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chaseburg, WI
Posts: 400
Default

My favorite human being ever. I always had an immediate answer to questions like, "If you could have dinner with anyone, who would you pick?" It was always Pete.
__________________
Linda
Effie (GSD) 7-20-11
glinny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2014, 09:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Nashville, TN and Budapest HU
Posts: 4,276
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by glinny View Post
My favorite human being ever. I always had an immediate answer to questions like, "If you could have dinner with anyone, who would you pick?" It was always Pete.
I met him a few times and had the honor to hear him sing.

I grew up with him, as my father had an expansive range of musical tastes.....
__________________
www.k9imports.com
V KK1 Molinari Enzo SCH3,IPO3,VK3,FH (WUSVx3,FCIx4)HOT
KK1 Frodo v Biezenhoeve SCH3,IPO3,HPO3.FCI & WUSV '10-'12, FCI '14. HOT
KK1 Griff v Tajgetosz SCH3,IPO3(BHOT) FCI & WUSV 2013
Smithie86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2014, 09:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator
 
jocoyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 14,456
Default

Wow, I never saw him in person. We are taking the grand-kids to see Arlo Guthrie in a few weeks. Not quite in the same league but ..... just thinking how much his songs have been a part of my life.
__________________
Nancy
www.scsarda.org

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2014, 05:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
Wetdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 7,393
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
Wow, I never saw him in person. We are taking the grand-kids to see Arlo Guthrie in a few weeks. Not quite in the same league but ..... just thinking how much his songs have been a part of my life.
Pete was a friend and long time admirer of Arlo Guthrie's father, Woody.

He did many songs written by Woody, the most well known was perhaps "This Land is Your Land".


Both Pete and Woody were often hated for their politics. They were the voice of those who had no say in the politics of their times.
__________________
"I'd better go with you Huck, civilization can be dangerous."-------Tom Sawyer(Mark Twain)
Wetdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2014, 05:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator
 
jocoyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 14,456
Default

Yes, Pete Seeger also took it as an honor when people TOOK his songs and made them their own. Peter Paul and Mary, the Byrds, Joan Baez, the Kingston Trio. I was glad to see at the inauguration they did NOT leave out the whole set of verses to this land is your land which is quite a powerful song as you get to the end. My parents were not heavily into folk music but I was pretty much weaned on the Kingston Trio (a gateway drug, hahaha)

I gather he may have been sort of a surrogate father for Arlo Guthrie, given that Woody was slipping away for many years while Arlo was growing up. It was touching that he had a cameo in Alice's Restaurant.

He sang some Bob Dylan tunes. It is so expansive. He was friends with Will Geer (the Waltons, but who was quite the political activist) who introduced him to Woody Guthrie. ......... It is sad you can mention these icons of the Folk era and so many young folks don't know who all these people were, the Weavers, Odetta, Lead Belly......sigh. Who are today's Pete Seeger, et al? I honestly don't know, not so much the genre but.....
__________________
Nancy
www.scsarda.org

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2014, 07:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
Wetdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 7,393
Default

You are right. Here is one of my favorites. Very simple, very basic tune and lyrics----but to me it conveys a power far beyond its seemingly simple façade.

For me, it is impossible to listen to this song and feel hopeless. My mind always gives me a picture of the sun coming out after a rain----and all the world looking green, fruitful and hopeful.

The Garden Song.

__________________
"I'd better go with you Huck, civilization can be dangerous."-------Tom Sawyer(Mark Twain)
Wetdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2014, 07:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
Wetdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 7,393
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
Yes, Pete Seeger also took it as an honor when people TOOK his songs and made them their own. Peter Paul and Mary, the Byrds, Joan Baez, the Kingston Trio. I was glad to see at the inauguration they did NOT leave out the whole set of verses to this land is your land which is quite a powerful song as you get to the end. My parents were not heavily into folk music but I was pretty much weaned on the Kingston Trio (a gateway drug, hahaha)

I gather he may have been sort of a surrogate father for Arlo Guthrie, given that Woody was slipping away for many years while Arlo was growing up. It was touching that he had a cameo in Alice's Restaurant.

He sang some Bob Dylan tunes. It is so expansive. He was friends with Will Geer (the Waltons, but who was quite the political activist) who introduced him to Woody Guthrie. ......... It is sad you can mention these icons of the Folk era and so many young folks don't know who all these people were, the Weavers, Odetta, Lead Belly......sigh. Who are today's Pete Seeger, et al? I honestly don't know, not so much the genre but.....
I think Pete himself left you with the answer.

The Garbage Song.


__________________
"I'd better go with you Huck, civilization can be dangerous."-------Tom Sawyer(Mark Twain)
Wetdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2014, 08:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator
 
jocoyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 14,456
Default

This was my introduction to Pete Seeger - through the voices of the Kingston Trio as a young child. The grownups were talking of some kind of war .... and the boy down the street went in the army....that was all before the big escalation but I clearly remember talking about it with other kids (because all our dads had gone to WWII) .......But so many songs, some political, some just folk music, other just children's songs.


__________________
Nancy
www.scsarda.org

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2014, 08:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator
 
jocoyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 14,456
Default

Time to pull out the old vinyl! And on a good note! Another hit Seeger wrote!


__________________
Nancy
www.scsarda.org

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:40 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com