German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Chat Room (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/)
-   -   Neighbor's dog developed from fearful/submissive to fearful/aggressive (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/401002-neighbors-dog-developed-fearful-submissive-fearful-aggressive.html)

Gretchen 01-24-2014 10:49 AM

Neighbor's dog developed from fearful/submissive to fearful/aggressive

Without training or intervention, is this a common result?
Our neighbor has a male 50-60lb mix, probably pit/herder that is 2 yrs old now and barks aggressively at Molly whenever he has a visual on her. Molly is 3.5 years.

When this dog was a pup, he was so submissive around Molly. When he would see us across the street he would lay down and expose his belly. He was very friendly and seemed like he wanted to meet us. After a few months I asked if our dogs could meet. Molly was very playful in GSD way, being growly and romping, the mix pup seemed happy to meet but acted very submissive. The owner was very protective of his dog, and the next time we met he made it clear he did not want his dog to have any contact with Molly saying, "he does not like dominant females". I wasn't sure if he was referring to me or Molly! Was I wrong in asking them to meet?

The mix dog is overall friendly to people, but untrained and jumps on people. He gets to go to the office with one of the owners during the day. When the dog was a pup, I mentioned some good trainers in our area, but the owners said they planned on doing private one on one lessons. I don't think the training ever materialized. Now that this dog is mature, he is taking the initiative to bark aggressively. Molly totally ignores him, but I'm wondering if this behavior typically escalates to something worse?

Stevenzachsmom 01-24-2014 11:06 AM

I can't answer, as to the progression - though at two, the pit mix is now mature. I don't think you were wrong to ask for the dogs to meet. You are neighbors. IMO, it is good if neighboring dogs can meet and learn to get along. It makes life easier. My dog gets along with the neighbor dogs that share fences. They happily greet each other, when outside at the same time. The neighbor may not understand the GSD playing style. If Molly wasn't bullying him, especially with him being completely submissive, I don't see the problem.

It would have been nice, if the neighbor had given the dogs a chance to get to know each other. Now, his dog is behaving badly and he probably has no idea how to correct the behavior. At this point, I think you and Molly should definitely keep your distance.

Gretchen 01-24-2014 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevenzachsmom (Post 4896546)
I can't answer, as to the progression - though at two, the pit mix is now mature. I don't think you were wrong to ask for the dogs to meet. You are neighbors. IMO, it is good if neighboring dogs can meet and learn to get along. It makes life easier. My dog gets along with the neighbor dogs that share fences. They happily greet each other, when outside at the same time. The neighbor may not understand the GSD playing style. If Molly wasn't bullying him, especially with him being completely submissive, I don't see the problem.

It would have been nice, if the neighbor had given the dogs a chance to get to know each other. Now, his dog is behaving badly and he probably has no idea how to correct the behavior. At this point, I think you and Molly should definitely keep your distance.

Thanks, this makes me feel a little better. After reading Carmspack "popular" early socialization thread, I was concerned I might have done more harm than good in encouraging a meet. On the other hand, I live in a very dense housing area, lots of condos, lots of dog owners so its always better when we can get along.

What's kind of funny is as much as the owner wants to avoid us, I think they work only two blocks from our business and I've seen him walk his dog by us during his lunch break a few times. And I often take Molly to work.

Syaoransbear 01-24-2014 12:27 PM

Could he possibly just leash reactive?

Baillif 01-24-2014 01:25 PM

It's not uncommon for a puppy to start out submissive and anxious when young and then when it gets a little older and gets a little bolder to try new tactics to make something they are anxious or fearful of go away. As they learn that behavior works and continue to practice it that is what you end up with.

huntergreen 01-24-2014 01:40 PM

is the dog neutered?

Gretchen 01-24-2014 01:49 PM

huntergreen -I'm 99% sure the dog is neutered because it came from a shelter. Most animal shelters in my area will spay/neuter prior to adoption.

Baillif - I see, the dog is mature now and getting bolder and really wants us to go away. It's been interesting to see how this develops first hand, especially reading about it so much here. Also sad that it could have been prevented.