Drought in Bay Area What to do? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2014, 01:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Drought in Bay Area What to do?

Okay I live in the Bay Area and we have a drought. Our water is draining, we had no rains for a couple months. We are low on water. We have to save on our water. I would like to make a petition on change.org and don't know what to put on there. There is an environmental club at school I'm thinking to pledge them to make a petition to end this drought here. It is TERRIBLE!! I am nervous for everyone's sake here. I am not joking. If I do make a petition which I plan doing seriously, what should I say? Should I also put in factory farms? They also harm the environment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2014, 10:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I don't know how to do a petition and, personally, I think all they do is make people feel like they have done something when they have not. I certainly remember sitting in the office with my senator years ago saying the weigh input differently because it takes much more thought to write a letter or visit than to just sign a petition.

A better thing, IMO, would be to get a contingent of fellow students (perhaps the environmental club), and ask for a meeting with your state and federal representatives to express your concerns. Keep it to one issue, even though they are all interrelated, and realize your rep may or may not be of the same mind. Do some research before you go. Look up current legislation that may be relevant [there are some doozies in federal government there but I don't want to get "political" about specific issues as this is not a political forum.

Note: congress is in session only about a third of the year with the rest of the time spent in their home state. During that time they are supposed to be interacting with their constituents. Being 18, now you are a voter. Mid terms elections are this fall for the federal reps.

You may even get a teacher to help you because you would be participating in / learn a lot about the way the government works (well is supposed to work) in a hands on way.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2014, 11:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
I don't know how to do a petition and, personally, I think all they do is make people feel like they have done something when they have not. I certainly remember sitting in the office with my senator years ago saying the weigh input differently because it takes much more thought to write a letter or visit than to just sign a petition.

A better thing, IMO, would be to get a contingent of fellow students (perhaps the environmental club), and ask for a meeting with your state and federal representatives to express your concerns. Keep it to one issue, even though they are all interrelated, and realize your rep may or may not be of the same mind. Do some research before you go. Look up current legislation that may be relevant [there are some doozies in federal government there but I don't want to get "political" about specific issues as this is not a political forum.

Note: congress is in session only about a third of the year with the rest of the time spent in their home state. During that time they are supposed to be interacting with their constituents. Being 18, now you are a voter. Mid terms elections are this fall for the federal reps.

You may even get a teacher to help you because you would be participating in / learn a lot about the way the government works (well is supposed to work) in a hands on way.
I agree, I would definitely speak with reps! If you sign something or send a letter....you may get a form letter as a response but nothing to confirm they read it! Visiting or calling is definitely better.

I have called and visited about American water supply's being sold and sent to other country's. I think we should be keeping our resources at home and supplying our county's and citizens needs first. When reading your concerns of water drying up, I think about my concerns of our water supply's being sent while people here should be receiving that water.

Good luck! I have been active since I turned 17 and concerned about what our politicians are doing...well....not doing for us! It should work a different way, but sadly the corruption prevents a lot of Americans from being heard.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
mcdanfam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2014, 11:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

You can start by voting in people that would have noticed we had a drought since last year. Contact your city leaders and ask them to stop over watering the parks and the landscaped center medians to make the roadways look nice. We don't need nice, we need water. My husband has a job where he sometimes is on call in the middle of the night, he sees all the landscape watering that happens while we sleep, mostly run down the road and into the drains. Most of our water goes to agriculture, the farmers and ranchers don't get subsidized like in the mid-west, I hope someone is looking out for them. We also don't need drinking water for our toilets, can we change our plumbing? We had to report our own HOA to the water board last year for wasting water. For years we have been trying to get our landscape changed and the watering to be more efficient. People really get stuck in their ways and refuse to change.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2014, 11:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

You can also work towards educating others. I will tell you that the youth are our only hope for the future!

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2014, 11:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm not being flip here, but all the signatures in the world will not end a drought. I don't know if God has internet - I'm sure it's super fast if he does

An on-line petition, it doesn't do much, especially on a free site. You need to identify a problem, a solution you believe will work, and start writing letters. Amnesty International has been doing this for years with some major successes. You need to write to the levels of government who can enact the change you seek, align yourself with and support politicians who think the way you do. See when the very unpopular BSL came into effect here in Ontario, it was a campaign platform, but since 60% of the population cannot be bothered to go out and vote, a right people in other countries risk death to do, the party and legislation passed I live my life by one rule, do not complain about the political process in your country, unless you participate in it. You are old enough to do letter writing, telephone campaigns, canvassing. Find yourself a politician and start learning, join Amnesty groups and participate in what they do. Find your vision, define it and go for it. Best of luck.
ozzymama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2014, 12:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

We are are having a drought up north too, it's been a while since the last one, but they do happen. Relying on snow pack up in the mountains for most of our water, even heavy spring rain won't be enough to catch up as most of that just runs down stream. Like Ozzymama said, try identifying a problem, some way water could be used more efficiently and make a push for change in that area. We have been changing (& eliminating some) a lot landscape irrigation these last few years in our area. We are replacing conventional above ground sprinklers with netifim and using web based control systems. We don't typically have water shortage issues like California, but responsible use of resources is always a good idea.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2014, 01:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

The governor declared a state of emergency on Friday, which is a good first step: Office of Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr. - Newsroom

As in past droughts, everyone will be asked to reduce their water consumption by at least 20%. That would be a good place to start, if you'd like to do something to help. The only way to end the drought is for it to rain, which nobody can control, but you can certainly encourage your school and your classmates to conserve water as much as possible.

Building more reservoirs would help for the future, so our capacity to store water will be increased in years with normal rainfall, but that will obviously cost a lot of money which tends not to be a popular option with many voters.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2014, 02:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

do you think a petition can end a drought?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobobear44 View Post
Okay I live in the Bay Area and we have a drought. Our water is draining, we had no rains for a couple months. We are low on water. We have to save on our water. I would like to make a petition on change.org and don't know what to put on there.

>>>> There is an environmental club at school I'm thinking to pledge them to make a petition to end this drought here. <<<<<

It is TERRIBLE!! I am nervous for everyone's sake here. I am not joking. If I do make a petition which I plan doing seriously, what should I say? Should I also put in factory farms? They also harm the environment.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2014, 02:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

Some rain dance should yield a better outcome.
alexg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.