German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Chat Room (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/)
-   -   WWII buffs/historians? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/397913-wwii-buffs-historians.html)

Sookie 01-18-2014 12:26 PM

WWII buffs/historians?

Is anyone on here particularly interested in or well-versed in WWII history?

Baillif 01-18-2014 12:28 PM

I'm far more versed than most I'd say, at least in terms if the western front less so on the eastern but still far more knowledgeable than most. It was an interesting time period to study that much is clear.

jafo220 01-18-2014 12:28 PM

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Whats parts?

I find it interesting.

MichaelE 01-18-2014 01:07 PM

I have studied the political aspects of the Third Reich in depth and what led up to it. I am also well read in the subjects of Heinrich Himmler, Adolph Hitler, and most of the rest of his inner circle along with the inner workings of the Polizei, Sicherheitsdienst, and Algemeine SS.

Why do you ask?

Cassidy's Mom 01-18-2014 01:11 PM

My husband is a WWII buff.

Sp00ks 01-18-2014 01:27 PM

Watch and read everything I can on the subject. Drives my wife nutz sometimes. Mostly the european theater. I'm not as versed on the pacific. I love the WWII movies and documentaries. Sometimes I think I was born in the wrong era.

valb 01-18-2014 01:36 PM

I've become way more interested in it over the years, I
wish I had paid more attention to it in school! My father
went into the Marines at 16 years old. I have some items
of his from back then, field jacket, gaiters, long handled
underwear!

Last year I 'inherited' my Mom's hope chest, and when I
went through came across pictures I'd never seen, of my
Dad during the war years. He refuses to talk about it at all,
never has really, I only know a couple of stories that I
pried out of him by roundabout means. I wish I could get him
to say more, since at 87 years old, there's not much time
before that's all lost, but I don't think it's going to happen!

Sookie 01-18-2014 01:50 PM

I have always been interested in WWII but it isn't my field. But since I moved to England I've become increasingly interested in it because it's more of a living history here - I live about 20 minutes from Dover where there are still vacant spaces where buildings were bombed, and the woods behind my house has huge bomb craters from air attacks. And then I recently found some casings - and other bits - in the woods while dog-walking and when I cleaned them off and looked them up it turns out they are from WWII. So, I guess just asking to see if other people are interested in it because for me it is now part of my dog-walking-life (and also none of my friends are interested in my finds).

ken k 01-18-2014 02:08 PM

yes, more than just a "buff" here, cool to see there are others on the board with the same interest

please be very careful as to what you pick up or dig up, there are still un exploaded ordnance around, i think it was month ago a worker was killed in Germany when the backhoe hit an un exploded bomb while they were excavating for a parkinglot,

Sp00ks 01-18-2014 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ken k (Post 4856825)
yes, more than just a "buff" here, cool to see there are others on the board with the same interest

please be very careful as to what you pick up or dig up, there are still un exploaded ordnance around, i think it was month ago a worker was killed in Germany when the backhoe hit an un exploded bomb while they were excavating for a parkinglot,

I saw the article on that, crazy. Killed the backhoe driver and blew out windows in buildings for a couple blocks.