German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Chat Room (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/)
-   -   Random: Horse possible poisoned who is at fault? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/394978-random-horse-possible-poisoned-who-fault.html)

VTGirlT 01-12-2014 03:16 PM

Random: Horse possible poisoned who is at fault?

So I was not part of this, but someone who is close to me is. And i changed the names to keep it safe.

Sam and Laura are "friends."

Laura did Sam a favor by giving her horses grain, hay, and water and to tuck them in for the night. Sam checked on one of the horses later the night at 12. (not the horse that was poisoned) In the afternoon Sam texts Laura about her selling something to her. Laura says no thanks. Sam than later texts her and says because her horses stall door was not locked, the horse got out and got into supplements with high protein ( and it could possibly colic) and also probably got into rat poison. Sam said that she put the rat poison away so that the dog that Laura would take wouldn't get into them. But that the horse somehow got into it.
Sam got the vet out and they are going to tube him and charcoal.. Sam's fiance wants Laura to pay for it. Laura says that the rat poison should not have been in there, that she was doing a favor and its an unreasonable request and that the last person who checked the barn was in charge for making sure the doors were all shut and locked. Sam's fiance says that either Laura takes the horse out, pays them money for the bill or gives the horse over to them...

Who's fault is it? Or is there even one? Who should be responsible? What would you do? Do you think Laura should pay the Vet bill or Sam?

Laura is worried about court and what not.. and I feel bad..

Just wondering what people who are not associated with either of the people think.

Side note: My opinion Sam is very selfish, she is the type of person to get something for free and sell it to a friend for $80.00 when its worth $100.00 new, or if one of her horse bucket's was mostly broken with a crack and her friend happened to be the one using it at the time and it breaks, Sam will make the friend pay for it. This kind of thing happens all the time with Sam..

angelas 01-12-2014 03:20 PM

Were the horse's being boarded at Laura's? Or did Sam stop by a Laura's place to take care of the horses?

VTGirlT 01-12-2014 03:21 PM

They are Sam's horses and the horses are at Sams. Laura did the favor of going over to do some chores for her.

Jax08 01-12-2014 03:22 PM

"Sam's fiance says that either Laura takes the horse out, pays them money for the bill or gives the horse over to them..."

This has me confused. Whose horse is it? Laura's? Or Sam's?

VTGirlT 01-12-2014 03:25 PM

Oh I'm sorry i knew i would forget something. Laura has one horse that she does a full board at Sam's place. So she pays Sam to board that horse there. Sam has 4 of her own horses and one other boarder at her place. And the horse that got out and into things WAS Sam's horse not any boarders.
When Sam wen't to the barn later after Laura did some of the chores, Sam was checking on one of her 4 horses, (not the one that got out.)
I hope that covers everything, its gets very confusing using different names!

Jax08 01-12-2014 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VTGirlT (Post 4820722)
They are Sam's horses and the horses are at Sams. Laura did the favor of going over to do some chores for her.

If it's Sam's place and Sam's horses it is his responsibility to make sure poison is no where that an animal can get into it. And it's his responsibility to make sure the animals are secured in their stalls.

what a court would say? who knows...

Jax08 01-12-2014 03:27 PM

She needs to get her horse out of there ASAP. They can not take her horse for THEIR vet bills. If it was a bill she incurred for her horse or boarding fees then yes. But just the threat of this would make me pull my horse out of there immediately.

Blanketback 01-12-2014 03:31 PM

I can't see a court finding that a 3rd party should be responsible for what is stored in someone else's barn. That's just crazy. If you were babysitting in someone's home and the child got into medication that was improperly stored, it would be the parent's fault, right? Sam sounds like a manipulating opportunist. I hope the horse is ok.

stmcfred 01-12-2014 03:36 PM

I agree with Jax. Laura should get her horse out of there asap. I don't know Sam or how she is but I'd be worried something might happen to Laura's horse.

Stevenzachsmom 01-12-2014 03:40 PM

I agree it is Sam's responsibility and Laura should move her horse ASAP. Who leaves poison where it is accessible to pets? Perhaps the horse let itself out of the stall - like this one.....
VIDEO | Houdini Horse learns to escape from stalls