German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Chat Room (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/)
-   -   How about your own vaccinations? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/393170-how-about-your-own-vaccinations.html)

wolfy dog 01-08-2014 11:58 AM

How about your own vaccinations?

Question to those of us who practice limited vaccination protocols. Do you get yourself vaccinated against the flu, whooping cough etc?
I have never had these and am currently debating myself if I should get a flu shot with possible risking side effects. Or what I could do to limit these. Thuja, like we would give our dogs before and after the vaccine?
Just curious.

Shade 01-08-2014 12:06 PM

No, I've never done the flu, whooping cough (had a severe reaction as a child to the vaccine so I'm now exempt), chicken pox, or the like vaccines.

dogsnkiddos 01-08-2014 01:07 PM

Unless a vax is really needed I just avoid them now that I am an adult. The majority are egg based and I have a severe egg allergy. Alternatives have to be specially compounded and most of the time it is simply not worth it for me. When I was pg with Boy they determined I had no immunity to MMR (despite vax and also childhood infection with one of those) so I had to have it again right after he was born. I avoid the flu shots.

Girl has immune issues. If you walk by with a sniffle she will likely end up in the hospital a few days later. She had her childhood vax on schedule and developed NO titers! We had to redo them several times to help her develop immunity. Her tests show she is still not as strong with titers as would be expected. I count on others to vax and have herd immunity to help her fragile state. All that said, I still do not vax her for flu.

N Smith 01-08-2014 01:25 PM

I do not do any annual vaccines, and as far as I am concerned, I am done with Vac's for life at this point.

My son had the major ones done as suggested, but I did not bother with Chicken Pox etc.

I use Certified Therapeutic Grade Essential oils for prevention and early intervention when I do get ill. Thus far I have not had any illness that lasted beyond a few hours at all last fall or this winter. I love it!

MichaelE 01-08-2014 01:29 PM

The last flu shot I received was 25 or more years ago while in the Air Force.

I've had the flu once since then, about 12 years ago.

I have no need for flu shots.

Liesje 01-08-2014 01:31 PM

I do all vaccines available to me that I can afford and that make sense. Tetanus every 10 years, last one was a dTap or whatever b/c of the increase in whooping cough (not me getting it, but spreading it to infants). I get the flu vaccine each year since it's free. I was required to have a Hep B series and meningitis when I entered college. When I traveled to Africa I got Hep A, yellow fever (that's a fun reaction!), and typhoid. Polio and rabies were also options but I opted out based on the region of our travel. As a kid I had whatever was the going norm. I actually got chicken pox, vacc was not available yet. Incidentally, I just had Shingles (I am 29) and will not be getting a Shingles vacc because the likelihood of getting it again is about 3% whereas the vaccine only decreased your chances by about 50%. When the HPV vaccine came out I asked my Dr. about it but we decided not to do the series since it was costly, I was already married, and only a year from the age max at the time.

There is so much hysteria and misinformation about vaccines. You are not protecting yourself but OTHER people. I am a healthy person without major autoimmune problems so I see no reason I should NOT get vaccinated and protect the young, elderly, and immunocompromised people near me.

carmspack 01-08-2014 01:39 PM

no . not for myself . two interesting interviews I listened to over the last few days - one spoke to the need to reacquaint ourselves with bacteria more , the problems with a stripped "sterile" environment and increasing allergies and other problems , the avoidance of anti-bacterial cleansing agents which promote bacteria that are resistant and avoiding triclosan in personal skin care and dish detergents as it is toxic , enters the water stream and has other environmental effects. It is an ingredient in anti gingival toothpaste .
The other discussion was about the flu vaccination and MSG which is a neurotoxin , used as a stabilizer --

so no .

Liesje 01-08-2014 01:45 PM

There's handwashing (or excessive handwashing) and then things like meningitis, hepatitis, polio.... You can't reintroduce bacteria to yourself and expect to build up immunities to things that can be deadly or leave you with permanent problems.

Overuse of harsh antibacterial cleansers vs. vaccines are apples and oranges. A lot of things we get vaccinated against are viral.

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho...17811687_n.png
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Va...02477036534120

Wild Wolf 01-08-2014 01:46 PM

None for myself, except tetnus every 10 years. I had my Hep vaccines and all the mandatory shots as a kid/in elementary school but haven't done anymore.

Wild Wolf 01-08-2014 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carmspack (Post 4796106)
The other discussion was about the flu vaccination and MSG which is a neurotoxin , used as a stabilizer --

so no .

MSG is one of my triggers for BAD migraines with aura for me. (My migraines mimic strokes)... did not know they can be found in vaccines. Blah!