I have been handling Mister's (my diabetic cat) raw meat for the last few weeks and I think (?) I have gotten food poisoning from it...Has anyone else ever gotten food poisoning from handling their pets' raw?
I am careful and I am very paranoid. I bleach the counters and wash my hands each time...I am a little concerned as I will be converting my pups to raw at least 1x a day but because of how miserable I was all night and this morning, I do not know if I can safely handle it.
I think everyone hates being sick but with 8 critters to take care of every morning and not having the energy to lift a twig, it is even more discouraging. The cats are not so bad with the exception of Mister who gets his sugar checked, his insulin and his raw. The rest of the cats just get their food, change of water and litter boxes cleaned. But the dogs after being in their crate for 8 hours during sleepy time are so unruly, hyper and sensitive in the morning that when I am sick it is nearly unbearable to handle.
I am sorry for venting...
I can appreciate your frustration and efforts to pinpoint the source of your food poisoning.
I guess I have have always been a bit confused about contracting food poisoning via feeding raw. Since I am fairly new to the raw diet approach for my latest pooch, I have predominately ground everything up including chicken bones, turkey bones, chicken necks and backs etc. Most recently, I have started to let her crunch down beef rib bones however. Point being, I end up with a 50 lb plus container of raw ground up meat, bone and organ concoction which I end up mixing with my hand and arm..past my elbow ( to get all the way to the bottom of the bucket ), so I have this raw blend all over me by the time I am done. I have yet to experience any health issues from handling all this raw meat...knocking on wood.
But here's the thing...when I make her raw food, I handle it just as I would for any raw meat I would consume myself so in this respect, I fail to see any difference related to getting food poisoning. Yes, I have heard some say " well, you can get it ( food poisoning ) after your dog eats and then might lick your face....." I suppose it could happen but have yet to experience this as well.
I would think with a basic sanitary protocol as one would practice with prepping their own raw meat for consumption, one should be just fine.
Here's to you feeling better quickly,