German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Chat Room (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/)
-   -   Food poisoning from handling raw: anyone? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/392026-food-poisoning-handling-raw-anyone.html)

Zeeva 01-06-2014 12:01 PM

Food poisoning from handling raw: anyone?
 
I have been handling Mister's (my diabetic cat) raw meat for the last few weeks and I think (?) I have gotten food poisoning from it...Has anyone else ever gotten food poisoning from handling their pets' raw?

I am careful and I am very paranoid. I bleach the counters and wash my hands each time...I am a little concerned as I will be converting my pups to raw at least 1x a day but because of how miserable I was all night and this morning, I do not know if I can safely handle it.

I think everyone hates being sick but with 8 critters to take care of every morning and not having the energy to lift a twig, it is even more discouraging. The cats are not so bad with the exception of Mister who gets his sugar checked, his insulin and his raw. The rest of the cats just get their food, change of water and litter boxes cleaned. But the dogs after being in their crate for 8 hours during sleepy time are so unruly, hyper and sensitive in the morning that when I am sick it is nearly unbearable to handle.

Thoughts? Experiences?

I am sorry for venting...

carmspack 01-06-2014 12:08 PM

any body that cooks from scratch handles raw meat daily. Same precautions for food safety and hygiene apply.
Never got sick in my kitchen , feeding ourselves and dogs , and cats. Feeding the animals raw for over 30 years now.
Pickling vinegar does as good a job as chlorine without the lungs sensitizing

Galathiel 01-06-2014 12:27 PM

You could also have gotten food poisoning from something YOU ate. Even a salad. There's no way to tell. It could also have been a nasty virus.

Mrs.P 01-06-2014 12:32 PM

No issues here.

I know a raw feeder with an immunosuppressed housemate. She feeds a lot outside -weather permitting. However, when she cannot she takes the same precautions as if she was preparing a meal.

I second the white Vinegar for clean up as well. It could be from anything you ate really!

Hope you feel better soon!

GatorBytes 01-06-2014 12:40 PM

Never an issue and probably cross contaminate inadvertently. Use the same cloth I wash my dishes with as my dogs and no issues, mind you I use antibacterial dish soap, I wash my hands before I touch dry towel and I use sep. towel to dry my hands when prepping his food vs. any other kitchen prep, chores...I never use any towel to dry dishes, air dry. And I rinse in very hot water.

My hands are RAW, but my gut is fine...lol

katro 01-06-2014 01:19 PM

Nope. The one and only time I ever had food poisoning was from a salad bar at a banquet hall. I assume it was either the salad dressing was spoiled or whoever handled the veggies/lettuce didn't wash their hands... I clean up with Clorox wipes and hand washing after I handle any raw meat (regardless of if it's for Ralphie or if I'm cooking it for myself).

Twyla 01-06-2014 01:25 PM

Just something to think about...

The other day I read an article, forgot where so no link, that a new strain of the Norovirus has hit the US. It appears to be a tougher one from what I remember reading. The symptoms are similar to food poisoning.

Glacier 01-06-2014 02:51 PM

Yeah, there's a new bug going around. The entire third floor of the assisted living facility I work at had a really bad case of it. Oddly enough floor one and two were fine. I think they ordered some bad take out.

SuperG 01-06-2014 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeeva (Post 4781722)
I have been handling Mister's (my diabetic cat) raw meat for the last few weeks and I think (?) I have gotten food poisoning from it...Has anyone else ever gotten food poisoning from handling their pets' raw?

I am careful and I am very paranoid. I bleach the counters and wash my hands each time...I am a little concerned as I will be converting my pups to raw at least 1x a day but because of how miserable I was all night and this morning, I do not know if I can safely handle it.

I think everyone hates being sick but with 8 critters to take care of every morning and not having the energy to lift a twig, it is even more discouraging. The cats are not so bad with the exception of Mister who gets his sugar checked, his insulin and his raw. The rest of the cats just get their food, change of water and litter boxes cleaned. But the dogs after being in their crate for 8 hours during sleepy time are so unruly, hyper and sensitive in the morning that when I am sick it is nearly unbearable to handle.

Thoughts? Experiences?

I am sorry for venting...

I can appreciate your frustration and efforts to pinpoint the source of your food poisoning.

I guess I have have always been a bit confused about contracting food poisoning via feeding raw. Since I am fairly new to the raw diet approach for my latest pooch, I have predominately ground everything up including chicken bones, turkey bones, chicken necks and backs etc. Most recently, I have started to let her crunch down beef rib bones however. Point being, I end up with a 50 lb plus container of raw ground up meat, bone and organ concoction which I end up mixing with my hand and arm..past my elbow ( to get all the way to the bottom of the bucket ), so I have this raw blend all over me by the time I am done. I have yet to experience any health issues from handling all this raw meat...knocking on wood.

But here's the thing...when I make her raw food, I handle it just as I would for any raw meat I would consume myself so in this respect, I fail to see any difference related to getting food poisoning. Yes, I have heard some say " well, you can get it ( food poisoning ) after your dog eats and then might lick your face....." I suppose it could happen but have yet to experience this as well.

I would think with a basic sanitary protocol as one would practice with prepping their own raw meat for consumption, one should be just fine.

Here's to you feeling better quickly,

SuperG

Gretchen 01-06-2014 03:23 PM

No. I think it is from something you either ate or have a stomach flu. My husband and I are just recovering from the flu, and a business friend was sick to his stomach Christmas night with a bug.

When handling any raw food, I immediately wash my hands and I feed in bowls or plates that I can put in the dishwasher to get sanitized.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2