German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Chat Room (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/)
-   -   do u spend money on ur fosters? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/391114-do-u-spend-money-ur-fosters.html)

pets4life 01-04-2014 05:45 PM

do u spend money on ur fosters?

I had to feed them good food to boost their immune systems give them toys and a bit scratching post to fight with I felt so bad

came upto like 250!! tho

You guilty of this?

Jax08 01-04-2014 05:52 PM

Yes. But most often the food is reimbursable? Toys are not.

pets4life 01-04-2014 06:14 PM

for tax yes

But i would not take money from the actual shelter id feel to bad for it

500 cats neeed homes :(

Powell 01-10-2014 10:31 PM

I have a Lab mix....maybe BC? and have had him since January. I call him the wild child. He stays outside in my Fort Knox kennel. I think the shelter just forgot about him. If I had a fenced in yard I would train him for a hunting dog. Sweet boy. Black with a spot of white. I feed him 4Health Grain Free Whitefish.

misslesleedavis1 01-10-2014 10:33 PM

Yes i do, i buy them all there food lol, and how the heck are you???

Liesje 01-10-2014 10:35 PM

Yes I do. The pet store I shop at gives me a discount when I'm buying supplies for foster or rescue dogs :)

DJEtzel 01-10-2014 10:59 PM

Yes, I don't pay taxes on their stuff, and can write all off that I do.

The rescue will give me food/supplies... I take supplies as necessary, but I can't feed them Meijer/purina/kibblesnbits food... So they get whatever my dogs are on. I spend a lot, but it's my donation to the rescue/animals, after all.

LifeofRiley 01-10-2014 11:54 PM

What? You can itemize those types of foster expenses as a charitable donation for tax purposes? I had no idea.

I typically cover all the costs of care for my foster dogs (food, treats, minor medical), not because I have to, but because I choose to... In fact, with one rescue I like to foster for, it is just a lot more convenient for me to take the foster dog to my vet for a minor issue vs. their vet that is in the suburbs. If it is a major medical issue, I will bring the dog to the vet that the rescue works with in the suburbs.

I never thought to keep a record of those types of expenses for tax purposes. I do, however, keep car mileage logs of the volunteer work I do for tax purposes.

DJEtzel 01-10-2014 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeofRiley (Post 4812298)
What? You can itemize those types of foster expenses as a charitable donation for tax purposes? I had no idea.

I typically cover all the costs of care for my foster dogs (food, treats, minor medical), not because I have to, but because I choose to... In fact, with one rescue I like to foster for, it is just a lot more convenient for me to take the foster dog to my vet for a minor issue vs. their vet that is in the suburbs. If it is a major medical issue, I will bring the dog to the vet that the rescue works with in the suburbs.

I never thought to keep a record of those types of expenses for tax purposes. I do, however, keep car mileage logs of the volunteer work I do for tax purposes.

Yep. I keep all receipts and turn into my accountant at the end of the year. :)

Magwart 01-11-2014 12:05 AM

Car mileage logs??! :shocked:

I never thought of that. I've driven two hours (one way) to do a home check...many times. I am so glad you posted that!