German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Chat Room (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/)
-   -   Dog jumped out of car window in movement (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/390738-dog-jumped-out-car-window-movement.html)

Helios 01-03-2014 06:17 PM

Dog jumped out of car window in movement

I don't really know if she really jumped out of the car window or if she was pushed out of it, but here she is. I don't know what to think. My mother was the one that saw everything, I wasn't there. The dog fell on the ground. Almost was hit by the cars passing there.

My mom turned around to get her, the car sped up and was no where to be found, a couple of guys helped her to get the dog in the car since the dog was going straight to a freeway. She saw the car, went to look for it and no luck. She went to a police station that was near the place where she fell, left her number there. She waited like 10 minutes before bringing her home.

This is her, what do you think about her condition?

http://imageshack.com/a/img600/1709/4d5a.jpg

She's a female. How old do you think she is? I know she's not old.

When I received the called I thought that she had jumped out of the car's window but when I saw her in person, I thought that maybe she was abandoned...I don't know what to think. The car didn't stop, didn't come back.

Would you guys offer me some tips here? This is my first time dealing with a dog in that condition, she's really tense, insecure and nervous. I don't know if she was abused. I have not introduced her to my dogs and don't plan to do it yet. She growled at my female 12 year old pekingese, I can imagine why though.

Regarding food, I'm giving her every 3-4 hours small quantity of food...Rice and chicken...

No pee or poop yet...She got home around 11:30 a.m

katieliz 01-03-2014 06:41 PM

I think she was likely pushed since the car did not come back. I think you should take her to the vet right away and keep her separate from your dogs until you know she is not sick with anything contagious. Awfully nice of you to help her. Take care...

jocoyn 01-03-2014 07:34 PM

She looks pretty thin. Dalmation? I could see that....no excuses for doing that but........You are an angel for taking her in.

wolfy dog 01-03-2014 07:35 PM

Hats off to you!! The feeding you are doing is good; not too much at each given time so you don't overload her system.
Spend time with her without trying to put pressure on her. Let her take the initiative to make contact with you. Avoid making eye contact, face her sideways from a sitting/kneeling position, per her under the chin and keep movements slow, voices calm and reassuring. You can try hand feeding her once in a while. I once had a foster dog like that; she was an emaciated mess and so scared but after 6 months you wouldn't know it was the same dog.
I loved giving her a second life and I am sure you do too. She is lucky that you took her in. Hope they catch the jerks who did this to her.
If you decide to keep her, make sure you get her vet records in your name, county license etc. This will help in case her previous owners decide they want her back when they run into you. Also get a written statement from witnesses and the dates and location so you have proof of abandonment.
Enjoy her and keep us posted.

Helios 01-03-2014 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katieliz (Post 4768346)
I think she was likely pushed since the car did not come back. I think you should take her to the vet right away and keep her separate from your dogs until you know she is not sick with anything contagious. Awfully nice of you to help her. Take care...

haven't taken her to the vet. Everything is pretty much closed here since holidays. So It'd be mean an e-vet visit...I have two neighbours that are coming back on Monday (Both of them are vets, my vets) I plan to wait for them to check her...:(

Yes! thank you, I'll keep them separated...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocoyn (Post 4768698)
She looks pretty thin. Dalmation? I could see that....no excuses for doing that but........You are an angel for taking her in.

Thank You!!

I forgot to add! She's a dalmation.

Here's another pic of her:

http://imageshack.com/a/img835/4237/dflv.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfy dog (Post 4768706)
Hats off to you!! The feeding you are doing is good; not too much at each given time so you don't overload her system.
Spend time with her without trying to put pressure on her. Let her take the initiative to make contact with you. Avoid making eye contact, face her sideways from a sitting/kneeling position, per her under the chin and keep movements slow, voices calm and reassuring. You can try hand feeding her once in a while. I once had a foster dog like that; she was an emaciated mess and so scared but after 6 months you wouldn't know it was the same dog.
I loved giving her a second life and I am sure you do too. She is lucky that you took her in. Hope they catch the jerks who did this to her.
If you decide to keep her, make sure you get her vet records in your name, county license etc. This will help in case her previous owners decide they want her back when they run into you. Also get a written statement from witnesses and the dates and location so you have proof of abandonment.
Enjoy her and keep us posted.

Thanks a lot for this!!!! I'll do that. She wags her tail and comes close but if you touch her, she'll get really tense, you can see it in her body language. I'll handfeed her, it sounds like a good plan...I plan to recover her and find a good home to her...I got a puppy coming in *February*, and with the dogs that I already own I got my hands pretty full here so I'm not keeping her...

I tried cleaning her ears. I was able to clean one, the other not so much. She growled and "bit" more likely got my hand. -my faul though-. It was not that hard, my gsd has grabbed it harder playing LOL... I'll just leave her alone and try to win her trust...slowly. I'll start like you said. And will use a Muzzle next time if necessary when the time to check her comes...

EDIT: regarding your comment about catching the jerks...don't think we'll....

Oh and regarding her collar, it's not a corrective one just in case though..

BellaLuna 01-03-2014 09:12 PM

Oh man thats awful :( Thank goodness you guys took her in. Poor girl...

Helios 01-04-2014 07:07 AM

Thanks! :o

Update: She peed and drank plenty of water! :D:D:D

llombardo 01-04-2014 07:22 AM

Sadly people dump dogs everyday . Looks like this one needs some TLC. I had a Dalmatian many years ago. I found her in a garbage can looking for food, she was about 4 months old. Thank you for taking care of her.

Helios 01-04-2014 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llombardo (Post 4770426)
Sadly people dump dogs everyday . Looks like this one needs some TLC. I had a Dalmatian many years ago. I found her in a garbage can looking for food, she was about 4 months old. Thank you for taking care of her.

Yes...It is sad. :( What does TLC mean? :o

Angelina03 01-04-2014 08:29 AM

TLC - tender loving care.
Poor baby. That is so sad. Thank you for taking care of her. I hope you find her a good home where she can be happy and loved...

Sent from Petguide.com Free App