German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Chat Room (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/)
-   -   Punctuation PLEASE! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/384602-punctuation-please.html)

SummerGSDLover 12-21-2013 03:07 AM

Punctuation PLEASE!

Why does it seem as though 40% of people have an issue with run on sentences?! These are ADULTS. Use commas, periods, question marks and exclamation points! It drives me nuts. Also... There, their, they're... They have different meanings! :banghead:
UGH!

*-*Summer*-*

boomer11 12-21-2013 03:26 AM

This is a forum to discuss dogs and get advice. Not an English class.

erfunhouse 12-21-2013 03:55 AM

Actually, not all posting here ARE adults. I get your point though.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Syaoransbear 12-21-2013 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomer11 (Post 4705818)
This is a forum to discuss dogs and get advice. Not an English class.

I have to agree with this.

Not everyone was given a good education when it comes to grammar and punctuation. I'd say that elementary and high school english classes really only offer extremely basic grammar and punctuation usage and they mostly grade students on their ability to read a book and regurgitate its contents. Serious attention to grammar and punctuation didn't seem to come around until university. What you probably were never taught about grammar and punctuation could fill a book. Literally.

Some people are just lazy or they are typing the way they speak so making the distinction between they're, their, and there is irrelevant, but some people are trying their best. So please keep them in mind.

Sp00ks 12-21-2013 07:23 AM

An english major I was NOT. However, I do try my best with spelling and punctuation.

A young guy at work, can't read cursive..... I was floored. "they never taught us" Really? People used to take pride in penmanship.

ksotto333 12-21-2013 07:24 AM

This is a dog forum, that's true. It is harder though to get through some posts without proper punctuation. I think texting has had a bad influence on how people express themselves in writing.

Crocky 12-21-2013 07:37 AM

I am sure that I have a lot of post like but sometimes autocorrect is not my friend. I try hard to look at what I am posting before I do. I also post a lot when time is not on my side.
Also when in a large forum like this there are folks from all different countries of all different ages of which English may not their first language if at all or education has not been a priority or possibility. I think it is important to be cognizant of that.

MichaelE 12-21-2013 07:41 AM

Not knowing the difference between 'than' and 'then' irks me the most.

I remember you didn't pass if you didn't know the three 'R's'.

Now it's 'No Child Left Behind' even if they are dumber than a box of rocks.

We can't have little Johnny or Jane feeling left out and passed over now can we...

Twyla 12-21-2013 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sp00ks (Post 4706026)
An english major I was NOT. However, I do try my best with spelling and punctuation.

A young guy at work, can't read cursive..... I was floored. "they never taught us" Really? People used to take pride in penmanship.

I haven't verified this as fact, but have heard from several friends and neighbors - schools here are no longer teaching cursive.

PhoenixGuardian 12-21-2013 08:19 AM

Every now and then I get typing too fast and screw something up (which drives me insane). However, since I am focusing on English courses in college, I really try very hard to keep my writing neat and tidy. It annoys me when I see something that you just about need a translator for, but not everyone worries so much about their grammar, which is just fine. I don't really care, just as long as I can understand what they're saying.