German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Chat Room (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/)
-   -   Post your favorite Christmas Cookie recipe (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/384138-post-your-favorite-christmas-cookie-recipe.html)

selzer 12-19-2013 06:52 PM

Post your favorite Christmas Cookie recipe

And does anyone have a recipe for those pink and white candy cane cookies? I think they are just sugar cookies with some coloring on part, but I would like to make them this year, and I can't find a recipe, what type of coloring, etc.

JakodaCD OA 12-19-2013 06:57 PM

I don't have it off hand, but your right, basic sugar cookie recipe..split the dough in half, use red food coloring on half the dough..roll out long 'strings', then twist them together and shape into candy canes..

I made snowball cookies this year, LOVE those things, but they are a pain in the butt! Maybe it's just cause I have no patience when it comes to making cookies:)

selzer 12-19-2013 07:24 PM

Thanks, I will try that.

Usually I make chocolate with peanut butter chips, chocolate chips, oatmeal/raisen, almond crescents, and peanut butter with hershey's kisses on top -- easy stuff save for the almond crescents.

This year I want to get more Christmassy. I want to do the Almond Crescents and the peanut butter with kisses, but I also want to make the candy canes, pinwheels, and these caramel cashew tarts that I saw in a cookie magazine that looks pretty cool.

Also, there are these snow men that they make with a large round cookie cutter and a smaller round one, cutter. They frost it and use semi-sweet morsels for buttons and eyes. Only they use coconut, and I don't want to use coconut.

JakodaCD OA 12-19-2013 07:28 PM

I bought a roll of gingerbread (local grocery store) cookie dough, then rolled pieces out and used a cookie cutter:) To lazy to make my own dough,,same with sugar, worked out good, I can say I baked them:)

I made Pecan Tassies (a PITA!), sugar with choc sprinkles, snowballs, choc chip, and I HAVE to have the peanutbuttr with hershey kiss:)

If I want to get fancy, heck I go buy them, at this point, I don't want to bake another cookie LOL

selzer 12-19-2013 07:51 PM

I will be with the girls on Sunday and Monday this week. I figure I can make the dough that needs rolling and cutting and put it in the fridge over night there, and then bake them on Monday with the girls.

I get to do such cool stuff with the girls. They are fun, and game for just about anything, and I can trust them pretty far. They help me peel potatoes, and a few weeks ago, one helped me make Chicken Paprickash, and her sister helped me make the spatzum -- she dropped them in the boiling water.

I am living vicariously through a couple of seven year olds (Elena will be seven in a couple of weeks).

ozzymama 12-19-2013 08:12 PM

I bought a pre-fab gingerbread house, the recipe I have, makes great gingerbread, but it also blew up my mixer, broke 3 wooden spoons - for like 2 dozen darn cookies. It was made in the store bakery, but it was a kit.
I did pfeffernusse with my daughter, Pfeffernüsse (German Spice Cookies) Recipe - CHOW because we are nut-free I took out the spices derived from nuts, just went heavier on colored pepper and instead of almonds, took dried, candied ginger and pulverized it - they are awesome, like I want to go eat them right now, like I HAD to stick them in the freezer to keep from eating them all!

ozzymama 12-19-2013 08:18 PM

I do caramel corn, it's easy, but it takes an hour of baking and stirring. 6 quarts popped corn, then the caramel is 2 cups brown sugar, 1 cup butter, 1/2 cup corn syrup, bring it to a boil, boil for 5 minutes - basically soft-ball stage, remove from heat stir in 1tsp bakind soda, 1 tsp vanilla extract, pour over corn, stir, stick it in a 250 degree over for 1hr, every 15 minutes stir. Pour it on wax paper and break apart with your hands - it was such a hit, I made it for gifts, for three bake sales (like people asking me for it)
For dh's present this year DD and I made everything, he has a tremendous sweet tooth, so we got a basket from the dollar store, she painted it, we made breton brittle, caramels and cocoa fudge. She helped me with all of it - she's only 3. By 7, she better be making my darn supper! -j/k :) Or at least be able to pour a double vodka rocks with a twist ;)

AngelaA6 12-19-2013 08:23 PM

I bake cookies year round (snickerdoodles, scottish shortbread, chocolate chip, oatmeal ect...) so picking just one for the holidays is too difficult. I usually make pumpkin loafs or dutch apple pie. Nothing too crazy as the holidays are busy enough haha. I'm not a fan of store bought sweets or bases (like pie crusts and cake mixes) so I make everything from scratch...

I really want to do french macaroons next they're too cute.

Shade 12-19-2013 09:06 PM

Hands down the most popular cookie I bake:

Easy Lemon Cookies Recipe - Allrecipes.com

SO easy and yummy :wub: I use real lemon juice instead of lemon extract to really get that lemon flavouring and make it pop :)

blehmannwa 12-19-2013 09:22 PM

I'm a complete Grinch about Christmas cookies. My ex husband would spend at least a hundred dollars on all the ingredients, bake at night and leave me the mess. It was a cookie tyranny and then he would decide that the cookie gifts were not enough and spend even more money. We were very poor so that was a stress. My ex was obsessive so decorating them was not fun either.

No cookies here--just my Mother in law's German ones which my husband hoards.

I do make Graham Cracker houses if there are any little kids around. Children do make things fun. I wish I had some young ones to spoil.