German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Chat Room (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/)
-   -   Another Bearded Dragon Question (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/379513-another-bearded-dragon-question.html)

HarleyTheGSD 12-10-2013 08:11 PM

Another Bearded Dragon Question

I've had my beardie a little less than a year. I got him from a breeder in Illinois (traded my corn snake for him, I just love bearded dragons so much!). He was an adult when I got him. Very healthy, alert, and friendly.
Here's the question:
Kaius (that's his name :)) only eats out of my hand. I've left food in his dish before, but he has never touched it. I let it sit for 3 days before I became worried and gave in to hand feeding again. I don't mind hand feeding him, I actually like it. I'm just wondering if this is normal...
And there may come a time when I'm gone and he'll have to eat by himself. Is there anything I can do to encourage him to eat by himself?

marbury 12-10-2013 08:49 PM

Not normal, no. What type of dish are you using to feed? How 'deep' is it? What are you feeding?

HarleyTheGSD 12-10-2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marbury (Post 4651689)
Not normal, no. What type of dish are you using to feed? How 'deep' is it? What are you feeding?

I use either a flat plate or a plastic bowl. The bowl is pretty deep, but I bury it in the sand so that he can easily eat out of it (or so I thought). I feed him romaine lettuce, cabbage, squash, apples, grapes, and bearded dragon pellets out of this.

HarleyTheGSD 12-10-2013 09:03 PM

I also know how dangerous sand can be. I use play sand and throw out food that has been covered in it, and clean out the water dish when needed.

marbury 12-10-2013 09:25 PM

Try spiking his meal with a high-quality protein like butterworms or silkworms (or a nice roach). I haven't had a beardie that willingly ate the pelleted diet. You can also go with some crickets in a pinch, but aim higher if you can.

HarleyTheGSD 12-10-2013 09:37 PM

Okay. Tank you for the help!

MiaMoo 12-11-2013 12:30 AM

I would definitely lose the sand. Sand can cause problems for most reptiles, they end up ingesting it and it's not something easily passable.

I agree with mixing some live feeder insects into his diet. Silkworms are great, as are dubia roaches. If you gut-load crickets that can be a good source of nutrients for him as well. Don't leave live insects in the cage with him overnight, they can bite.

If you're really desperate, no reptile can resist the occasional waxworm. :apple:

HarleyTheGSD 12-11-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiaMoo (Post 4653297)
I would definitely lose the sand. Sand can cause problems for most reptiles, they end up ingesting it and it's not something easily passable.

I agree with mixing some live feeder insects into his diet. Silkworms are great, as are dubia roaches. If you gut-load crickets that can be a good source of nutrients for him as well. Don't leave live insects in the cage with him overnight, they can bite.

If you're really desperate, no reptile can resist the occasional waxworm. :apple:

Is reptile carpet a good substrate? I was thinking about buying some for christmas. I also heard that ceramic tiles are nifty, but I'm pretty sure they're more expensive and I have no idea where I would buy them.

marbury 12-11-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarleyTheGSD (Post 4655449)
Is reptile carpet a good substrate? I was thinking about buying some for christmas. I also heard that ceramic tiles are nifty, but I'm pretty sure they're more expensive and I have no idea where I would buy them.

Tiles are your best bet. I would imagine there are Home Depot or Lowes stores in your state; go to one and check out their natural slate tile. It has a rough surface and natural pattern deviation and can come in some pretty awesome colors. A single tile won't be more than a few bucks. Get enough to cover the base of your tank or terrarium (likely a 40br) and have them cut as necessary. Lowes in our area is the only one that will cut tile for you while you wait. The slate is super easy to clean, keeps their nails short, and holds heat very well for basking. Just be sure to monitor your temps because the substrate change will throw things off.

Glad you're getting him off sand! Great choice.

HarleyTheGSD 12-11-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marbury (Post 4655609)
Tiles are your best bet. I would imagine there are Home Depot or Lowes stores in your state; go to one and check out their natural slate tile. It has a rough surface and natural pattern deviation and can come in some pretty awesome colors. A single tile won't be more than a few bucks. Get enough to cover the base of your tank or terrarium (likely a 40br) and have them cut as necessary. Lowes in our area is the only one that will cut tile for you while you wait. The slate is super easy to clean, keeps their nails short, and holds heat very well for basking. Just be sure to monitor your temps because the substrate change will throw things off.

Glad you're getting him off sand! Great choice.

Sounds good. There's a Lowe's not far from us, I think I'll go with the tile. :)