Getting My Snake (Pet Snakes Update)! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2013, 07:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Rei
Elite Member

Thumbs up Getting My Snake (Pet Snakes Update)!

A lot of you have seen this on Facebook already, so apologies for the repetition, but I did want to update everyone who helped me on my previous thread (Pet Snakes?).

I know I was originally going to go with a Ball Python, but I just couldn't help myself I ended up deciding on a Jungle Carpet Python, and I guess we'll just see how it goes LOL I guess crazy WL German Shepherds aren't what people usually recommend for a first dog, either, so maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment.

I'm not as worried about getting tagged and the little nips as I used to be, which is good because I still plan on handling frequently. Plus, the breeder thinks it'll be fine to get one as a beginner herp owner, which helps with decision. I'm actually really looking forward to it!

I've already picked out the baby I want, and will be picking him up at the expo in January. Meanwhile, I'll begin purchasing supplies for the enclosure! Here's a picture for those interested -

And the "pedigree" (family tree). I'm hoping he'll get better looking in time and take after his mother.

We'll start out with a tub until he gets prettier, and then I'll see about saving up for a better display. Plus I'll have to buy a thermometer, a hydro-thermometer, substrate, two hides, an under tank heater, substrate (aspen?), and possibly a climb. Will try to find a wide water dish too for the humidity, too. Would really love any input from the experts, too!

Bree - 2/11/08 Tuxedo DLH Cat

Raina - 8/12/11 Black Smoke DLH Cat

Rei is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2013, 09:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

He's beautiful. Is this variety aggressive?

I kept snakes and other reptiles in high school. I'm far from being a herpetologist but I had fun with them and learned a lot about reptiles.

My favorite was a corn snake I kept. He was very docile.

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2013, 09:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I hate aspen, it clumps and gets damp and gives my girl scale rot quickly, if your going with aspen stick your hand in it alot to make sure its not wet. As stella the boa got bigger and started going to the bathroom alot more i started using paper towel.....its not as pretty but its so much easier to remove and replace.
misslesleedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2013, 08:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rei
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelE View Post
He's beautiful. Is this variety aggressive?

I kept snakes and other reptiles in high school. I'm far from being a herpetologist but I had fun with them and learned a lot about reptiles.

My favorite was a corn snake I kept. He was very docile.
I wouldn't say aggressive, but they can be more than a little snappy as babies. A lot of them gain confidence and mellow out as they mature, but some can still be a bit defensive of their enclosure. They get very "on" during feeding time, though, which can be good because they're easy keepers, but also a little nerve wracking if you're uncomfortable with that kind of intensity from a large snake.

I actually only just started thinking about snakes as pets a few months ago, when I started that other thread!! I still have a lot to learn, but am very excited to start getting into reptiles. Corn snakes are really lovely and definitely would have been the best choice for me, and they're what I usually recommend to friends who are also interested in a snake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misslesleedavis1 View Post
I hate aspen, it clumps and gets damp and gives my girl scale rot quickly, if your going with aspen stick your hand in it alot to make sure its not wet. As stella the boa got bigger and started going to the bathroom alot more i started using paper towel.....its not as pretty but its so much easier to remove and replace.
Oh, thanks so much for the heads up!! A lot of people actually have recommended paper towels and even newspapers as well, so maybe I'll go with the paper towels instead. I hadn't done my research on substrate yet so I appreciate the input

Old 12-10-2013, 09:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

You went with the one l liked best!!!! So how big do these guys get?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Khaleesi von Feuer- German Shepherd 2/3/2013
MilesNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2013, 09:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rei
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesNY View Post
You went with the one l liked best!!!! So how big do these guys get?

Woohoo!! I'm glad you did, because it was a really tough decision for me, and ultimately this was the guy I felt best about. Looking at his parents and how his coloring/pattern is now, I have high hopes for him!

They average out to be about 5' - 7' but stay fairly slim compared to ball pythons. It's right in my ideal size range so I'm very happy about that!

Old 12-10-2013, 09:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

I do love the look of Aspen but does need to be checked regularly. Make sure its high quality from a reputable source as its a common source of mites.

Rommel - GSD furball
Cloud, Scarlett, Big Girl, and Jarvis - Red Tail (Colombian/Central American) Boa Constrictors
B&Cgetapup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2013, 09:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rei
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&Cgetapup View Post
I do love the look of Aspen but does need to be checked regularly. Make sure its high quality from a reputable source as its a common source of mites.

Really good to know and I appreciate the warning. I will probably go with something other than aspen, then. I'm starting out with a tub anyway so the set up doesn't have to be fancy and good for display Just as long as it can meet the snake's needs, I'm good! If there's a better/safe alternative I'll definitely go for that. Would there be any problems with using paper towels, or newspapers?

Not sure if it matters, but I will definitely be getting a separate tub just for feeding.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Gorgeous! Can't wait for the pictures!

I liked paper towels for hatchlings and juvelines. For big guys, I really like Eco-earth.
Boaz von der Quellwasser - little man in training!

http://vomfeuergarten.weebly.com/
GatorDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2013, 11:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Rei
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDog View Post
Gorgeous! Can't wait for the pictures!

I liked paper towels for hatchlings and juvelines. For big guys, I really like Eco-earth.
There will definitely be a million pictures. There always is

And thanks for the recommendations! Is there a particular reason to change up from paper towels as they're older? Trying to learn!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.