German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Chat Room (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/)
-   -   In the event of a break- up, who gets the DOGS!? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/378873-event-break-up-who-gets-dogs.html)

BellaLuna 12-09-2013 05:54 PM

In the event of a break- up, who gets the DOGS!?

OK so me and my husband were having one of our hypothetical talks today and we were saying if we were to split up who would get our dogs. We've been together for just about over 15 years and have no plans of separating but we always seem to come out with these really weird conversations :D

I told him he could have the kids and the cats but the dogs we off limit they are coming with me :D

So who would get your dogs in your family? Or would you share them...
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Kaimeju 12-09-2013 06:05 PM

Maybe we are in the minority, but the pets in our family definitely have their "person." I would never dream of taking Leeloo from my hubs and Gypsy will stay with me no matter what. I don't think it's a matter of seeing them as "objects" or anything like that, it just tends to be one person who bonds to them and takes responsibility for vet bills, food, etc. although when we had a snake she was definitely shared. :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

BellaLuna 12-09-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaimeju (Post 4643849)
Maybe we are in the minority, but the pets in our family definitely have their "person." I would never dream of taking Leeloo from my hubs and Gypsy will stay with me no matter what. I don't think it's a matter of seeing them as "objects" or anything like that, it just tends to be one person who bonds to them and takes responsibility for vet bills, food, etc. although when we had a snake she was definitely shared. :)

That's like us the dogs prefer me while the cats adore him.:)

Wild Wolf 12-09-2013 06:08 PM

The dogs stay with me. I will fight Gladiator style for them... LOL!

BellaLuna 12-09-2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wild Wolf (Post 4643881)
The dogs stay with me. I will fight Gladiator style for them... LOL!

Ha-ha

KatsMuse 12-09-2013 06:13 PM

Lol! We actually have friends who are divorced and share (one week on, one week off) their dogs...just as though they were children.

The dogs are attached to both of us.
Sharing would work for me as well...;)

Jaythethird 12-09-2013 06:16 PM

There is a reason diamonds are a girls best friend and a dog is a man's. Go ahead and pawn that band off, I'm keeping my homey.

Sent from my LG-LS970

K9raqs 12-09-2013 06:23 PM

OMG - I used to think about this stuff all the time. LOL! I have always made it clear that my dogs are my dogs. I've been with my boyfriend now for 8 years and I have my dogs and my boyfriend has his dog. We both take responsibilities in caring for them, but they are separate.

Lilie 12-09-2013 06:35 PM

See...I have a devious plan for the 'just in case'. I do all the dog work. I make it seem over whelming. Hubby wouldn't want any part of that.

My Lacy was brought in to the fold so he could go with hubby when he hunts. The dog blood tracks. I've done all the training etc. Recently, we were at a training event and the trainer told hubby he needed to take the Lacy into the field for a mock track. Hubby's watched me do it a hundred times. No worries.

They never even made it past the first scent marker. Hubby, trainer, dog and a chair were all tangled up in the 50' lead. It was one of the funniest things I've ever witnessed. Needless to say, I completed the lesson....yeah, he's my dog.

JakodaCD OA 12-09-2013 06:39 PM

Right now, Jag (male aussie) could stay with the hubby, they are buds, but the girls stay with me, the cats would stay with me, and well the hubby wouldn't want my chickens:)

All dogs I have/had are in my name and I'd kill him before he could have them anyway:)