Contact Lenses - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2013, 08:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Contact Lenses

I got my trial contact lenses today and I'm doing fine... I think I accidently put one on the wrong side... Whoops

Do any of you wear contact lenses? For how long? And how long does it take you to put them on / take them out?
Got any stories to do with contact lenses...?
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2013, 08:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I used to wear them. Once I thought I dropped one, so I put a new one in. Everything was fine for hours until I started my long drive home. For almost two hours, I was all but blind in that eye. When I got home and took them out, I had two in the same eye!

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 09:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I've been wearing them for a couple of years. The first few days was ROUGH. I actually passed out trying to put them in at the doctor's office (she said it's actually very common, lol-- people hold their breath). Getting them out was ten times harder than putting them in... I was at my parent's house the first day I had them and I couldn't get them out. I started to freak out and my dad had to dig it out for me (it went up under my eyelid...). He said to imaging you're peeling a grape, which was the grossest analogy but looking back, it's pretty accurate.

Oh-- watch out for dog hair on your hands when putting them in or taking them out there is no pain quite like having a dog hair under your lens.

Also-- always have a backup pair and solution, or your glasses with you... I had one tear while I was wearing it (pretty painful), and I didn't have a spare... so I had to drive home blind in one eye, basically. Not fun!

It's tough the first few days but SO worth it. After about a week, you'll be golden. Now I can put them in or take them out in just a few seconds (I don't even need to be in front of a mirror), it's just second nature. You also get over the "ick" factor of touching your eye really quickly too.
LoveEcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 09:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

I've worn contacts for over 30 years. They have gotten MUCH easier to care for and cheaper to buy over the decades.

Take your time...yes, watch for dog hair on your hands. ALWAYS carry a case to put them in, a small bottle of saline and a pair of glasses with you in case something happens. I have several sets of cases/saline/glasses in various sizes to take with me. Keep your old glasses...an out of date pair of glasses beats being unable to drive or work/play.

In all my years wearing lenses, I have only had a couple of problems. Occasionally, your eyes may get too dry and a lense will fall out. (Here's where the little bottle of saline comes in handy). Camping with contacts is problematic. I found investing in a few boxes of daily disposables was worth the money.

Most importantly, never, EVER touch your lenses with dirty hands!!!

Over 30 years later, I have never forgotten how aggravating the first few days of learning how to wear my lenses felt, but I also haven't forgotten how AWESOME it was to see without glasses.

If you are going through hades, keep going!
Scarlettsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 09:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

I wear daily ones - you throw them out after a day. I actually find no problem to put them in / take them out! My optician told me some men faint and I was really confused why as it seems so easy to me.
I am paranoid about cleaning my hands anyway - so that's not a problem
Also, I heard that contact lenses make it so that if you use them for a few months your vision becomes worse without them and you'll need glasses... Is that true?
PS. I do have glasses if anyone is wondering
Old 02-24-2013, 11:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

Hi Speedy,

I have worn contacts since I was 12 (I am now 40). That is great that you have the daily ones - I am planning to get some of those. Mine are the ones you are supposed to wear for 2 weeks then throw out. My biggest advice which doesn't pertain to you anyway is don't sleep in them unless you absolutely have no choice. For YEARS I slept in mine, and it finally damaged one of my eyes a bit so the optician told me to take a break from sleeping in them. I couldn't believe how much better my eyes felt taking them out every night. Also, I started using a product called Clear Care and they are so clean and easy to see out of when I use it.

Any time you go on vacation or out of town make sure to bring a few more contacts then you will need. Occasionally a contact will be warped in the package and you won't be able to use it so have a few extra.

Also, once I rubbed my eyes hard and my contact rolled around toward the back of my head. I was absolutely freaking out, but if it happens just stay very calm and eventuallyit should slide back to where it is supposed to go.

If you put your contact in and it is not comfortable then take it out and rinse it. It sounds so obvious, but I have actually worn mine when they felt uncomfortable because I was in a hurry, and once scratched my eye and had to switch to glasses until it healed.

It takes me seconds to pop mine out and back in, but once in awhile I will have difficulty either taking one out and getting it in correctly. I have found when I can't get one out I start to kind of panic, so I have learned to take a little break then come back to it.

Overall, I love my contacts. I can see so much better than when I wear glasses. I hope yours work well for you.
LaneyB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 11:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneyB View Post
Also, once I rubbed my eyes hard and my contact rolled around toward the back of my head. I was absolutely freaking out, but if it happens just stay very calm and eventuallyit should slide back to where it is supposed to go.

Thanks for your time.
I didn't know that contacts could go to "the back" of your eye. I got told by my optician to gently rub my eyes when they're closed, like a massage
Thanks for your stories everyone, this is the reason why I really love this forum! Greatest people ever
Old 02-24-2013, 11:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I've worn contacts for the last 15 odd years or so I think. I've very poor vision (-8.5 in one eye and -9 in the other). Plus astigmatism. The only trouble I had was taking them out. I used to pinch them out with my nails. GROSS! LOL. Good luck to you c:!
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #9 (permalink)

I have a really low prescription, same in both eyes so it doesn't matter which eye the contacts go in, since I was 15 i have worn, them I'm 29 now. At first they made my eyes water like crazy I looked like I was terribly upset all the time. I remember teachers asking me what was wrong all the time, haha. Luckily, I never had any trouble putting them in or taking them out too much, at first it took about 5 minutes to put them in. Now putting them in takes about 5 seconds. Same as taking them out. I've never had any problems with my eyes from them

Once I woke up really early to leave on a trip a few years back, and being in a sleepy daze i accidentally put a contact in the same eye i just put a contact it. That was weird...
Sevastra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 08:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

I wore them for 3 years. I quit wearing them due to severe dry eyes. I think the drugs i take for R/A caused the dryness.

Mark.o
marksteven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.