Human Question - tingly tongue tip after eating spinach or kale - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2013, 05:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Default Human Question - tingly tongue tip after eating spinach or kale

Anyone else ever experience this?

I have read various things but lips/tongue tingly ... you know I have been eating spinach all my life and kale in recent years and it goes away in a few hours....no other "allergy" signs...no escalation and they are such healthy foods.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced. It is rather unpleasant and I have narrowed it down to these culprits (mainly spinach more so than kale) as culprits.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2013, 06:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

I get this with lime. Seems like an allergic reaction, but has never escalated, same as yours. Just don't ask me to give up my tequila shots. Kale and spinach? Could give these up easily
billsharp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I get itchy lips, inside of mouth and tongue after eating melon - watermelon, cantaloup or honeydew.....I know I am allergic to them after testing many many moons ago...but I have a little now and then anyway...

Lee

wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 06:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

hands up in the back row -- check out zinc difficiency -- tingling tongue is one of the signs --- pumpkin seeds are great for zinc . there are some awesome recipes for vegans using spinach , pumpkin seeds and avocado in a salad , another we had was penne with olive oil and lemon dressing , with spinach , then roasted red , orange, yellow and green peppers cut into strips and laced in criss cross colourful pattern over the spinach (cooked with olive oil and garlic) then raw ground pumpkin seeds with olive oil and lemon , black pepper . It's a good combination.

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 06:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would definitely guess extremely mild allergy. There is nothing in either of those that should cause any kind of mouth tingling! I assume it's safe as long as it never gets worse, although these types of things can suddenly take on a life of their own, so be careful! But they are such good greens for you I'd be hesitant to give them up if it's something you've had for years but never a more serious reaction.

I just say that because one of my coworkers developed a nut allergy over about a 2 year tme period that start out so mild it took him forever to even really suspect anything, but then got worse VERY quickly.
GSDElsa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 08:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

I take a salad to work everyday that is spinach, kale mix and i cut up red pepper. I have never experienced that though.

I would rather spend time with my GSD than alot of people!!!!
myshepharley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 08:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

I had a friend who was allergic to bananas. They mad the roof of her mouth itch..talk about annoying!
Old 02-22-2013, 08:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Mmm next time I eat spinach I will see what happens if I take a claritin beforehand.

The zinc thing is interesting because, actually, I may *not* be getting enough zinc now that I look at it (we cut back meat in our diet a lot! and because of my mother's gout hardly ever eat shellfish (we love crab)) She gets vitamins but I am really trying to get all nutrition from food...We do usually eat a butternut squash every week. Why the heck are we throwing away the seeds?....

Did find this-
http://www.livestrong.com/article/351096-foods-that-cause-geographic-tongue/

and eggplant and pecans also cause a sensation for me though less extreme.

My daughter (genetics, mine?) does have mild geographic tongue (I do not but maybe it is a recessive and I have one gene if it is genetic). In any regards neither of us has anything this extreme. I do get some small bumpiness on the tip of the tongue though.

And lo and behold, our nutritional genius, Carmen (a zinc tie-in):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographic_tongue

Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles

Last edited by jocoyn; 02-22-2013 at 08:20 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Well, it persisted and during a routine blood check my doctor noted a significant B12 deficiency. One of the joys of growing older and not eating much meat along with less efficient digestion.

Get my first shot tomorrow. And, yes, tingling tongue is a symptom.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Acid reflux meds cause a B12 deficiency if that applies
kr16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.