Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Sonoma County, Calif.
Warning on lilies and toxicity for cats
Having learned a (very expensive) lesson this weekend, I
thought to pass on a warning to cat owners.
Yesterday, a friend came over and brought me a bouquet of
lilies (they haven't opened yet but I think they are the Stargazer
type) and I put them in a vase on the kitchen counter. Friend,
husband and I then went out for the day. Came home to a
bit of upchucked leaf matter in the upstairs hall. Cleaned it up,
didn't think much more of it, until a bit later, cat brought up
her entire dinner, with another small piece of leaf in it. Thought
to ask husband to look up lily toxicity, and we were on our
way to our emergency vet center here in town, thank goodness
we have that place.
The toxin in lilies is unknown, but you have to treat quickly, and
so our little kitty has gotten charcoal and is on fluids and will be
at the e-vets for three days, trying to preventing renal failure.
Talked to the vet this morning, she is doing good and making pee
and he said if he didn't know what she was in for, he wouldn't
know there was a problem. So hopefully we're okay.
I asked vet about how common this is, and he said he sees it
quite a bit, especially around Easter time. So all of you, please
learn this lesson along with me and avoid trauma to your kitties,
and a couple thousand dollar hit to your pocketbook!
Tamsen's Dogster page:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.