Things to come - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2013, 03:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Things to come

I've been debating a lot about whether I should tell you all this...because we'll find out for sure in March if this is concrete.

My husband and I might move back to California. He has applied for a first year spot in Cali. This year has been pure misery for both of us and we are willing to take the hit and start all over instead of going into second year residency. Which means he'll be in residency for five years instead of four.

I'm concerned about moving my pets. We had our truck but traded it in for a car. I've no way to transport my cats and there's no way I'm leaving a single one...can someone suggest a cheap way to transport them? We can't afford much. Do you think kenneling them all day and letting them out at the hotel is a safe bet???

I've found a dinky little job which I'm embarrassed to say what it is. But I had to leave my MS off the application to be considered. We need the money and I need something to keep me occupied...

Our lease is up in April so I'll probably move in with my parents in Las Vegas until my husband completes his first year in June...and we'll go from there.

I'm scared but I can't wait to get out of this inhumane place. I don't understand why people live here and love it. I think the people who have lived here all their life don't know anything better.

Thoughts?
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 04:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Is there any way one of you can take the car and the other follow in a rented van? At least in a van you can put seats down and put kennels in the back with the dogs. We've traveled with cats crated before. It wasn't bad. One had to be sedated a bit because she was deathly afraid of the car. But, everyone made it from central FL to upstate NY without any problems. It was for my sister. I rode with her in the rented van (we had the animals and some small stuff like clothes) and her husband followed with the full Uhaul towing their car.
-Storm vom EnZ (05/16/12)
TrickyShepherd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 04:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

How exciting for you! I know you have been miserable in Chicago. Even though I am from there and still love it, I know that I would not want to be living there now that I have been out here for the past five years.
Can you rent a bigger vehicle to drive out there so there's more room to transport all of the animals? I'm sure the kitties would be ok in their carriers for the car ride.
I know it will be hard for your DH to add an extra year onto his residency, but ultimately you will probably be happier out in CA than miserable in Chicago! Good luck, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you
Old 02-12-2013, 04:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I had to laugh a bit... we use to take 3 cats (in carriers) and 2 dogs in a neon when we went home to visit our parents.. lol.

Now that I have the van, the cats (2 now, as my one passed) go in the 36' crate with a pillow and litter box, Zefra in the other crate next to the cats and Stark loose in the back (seat belted).
Old 02-12-2013, 04:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisabeth_00117 View Post
I had to laugh a bit... we use to take 3 cats (in carriers) and 2 dogs in a neon when we went home to visit our parents.. lol.

Now that I have the van, the cats (2 now, as my one passed) go in the 36' crate with a pillow and litter box, Zefra in the other crate next to the cats and Stark loose in the back (seat belted).
mmm...that's a good idea. getting two big crates putting 3 in each and a litter box in each crate...
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 04:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

My husband and I drove all the way from Michigan to California with my 3 cats at the time and a bunch of other critters and the cats did really well. I kept them in the back seat of the car and had each one in a separate crate. I had to sneak them into hotels but if you stop at Motel 6's you can do it guilt free because they allow pets and don't have a limit.

I brought a couple of those cheap throw away litter boxes and put food and water out in the hotel room when we stopped at night. The trickiest part was gathering them up in the morning lol because they were stressed and would hide under the bed but we managed.

Granted I didn't have two big dogs with me and we hauled... butt, made the whole drive in 3 days but the cats did ok and were surprisingly silent the whole trip.
Carriesue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 04:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

By the way, what part of California would you be moving to? This is actually the coldest winter I've ever experienced out here in Southern California, it's been in the 50's during the day and we've even had a few frost warnings! If you lived in Nevada then I'm sure you're probably used to not having seasons, only thing I don't like about living here... it's sun shiny and beautiful almost every.single.day. Course, northern Cali is a different story!

Last edited by Carriesue; 02-12-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Carriesue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 04:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisabeth_00117 View Post
Oh my. lol! I can't even imagine how that was possible.

The car we had to tow up to NY was a Neon. That's not a very large car. I used my old camry to move a few times, and with even one dog I had a problem. Zira used to be crammed in the back seat. lol It's much easier with the Jeep now.
-Storm vom EnZ (05/16/12)
TrickyShepherd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 04:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Can you talk to your vet about getting some calming medication while you transport your pets? I know change is scary, but don't be that scared of CA. Right now it is bright, sunny and 58 degrees at my house. To me the only down side of CA is politics and taxes, but since you live in Chicago, you are already used to this.

There are many members here from different parts of CA, we can all suggest nice areas to live and hiking trails, etc. Have you lived in CA before?
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 04:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

amina, I am all for leaving a place that makes you miserable!!

I think renting a van or if you have ALOT of stuff to transport, one of those rental trucks, getting a couple of crates for the kitties would work just fine and putting litter boxes in each.

It may cost a bit to get a rental vehicle, but it would be worth it to easily transport your stuff and the animals..

Congrats on your job, who cares what it is, these days a job is a job, money is money!

Sorry your hubby will lose a year but being happy is more important..Hang in there

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.