Anybody else into fish keeping? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013, 06:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Anybody else into fish keeping?

I've been in the hobby since I was about 18 so about 12 years. Right now I have three tanks, two fresh and one marine... I'm hoping to get down to just one though. My favorite tank is my freshwater planted 75 gallon, it looks like total crap right now because I'm in the middle of redoing it... I pulled out a ton of overgrown plants.

But I snagged some pics of a couple of my fish... My three favorites are my clown loach(whom I've had about seven years), koi angelfish and red parrot fish. Also have a short video, hope you enjoy! And tell me about your fish if you have some.

Brutus-Red Parrot Fish by Carriesue82, on Flickr

Rio-Clown Loach by Carriesue82, on Flickr

Rio and Brutus by Carriesue82, on Flickr

Carriesue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 07:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

nice pictures. i am only into "fishing".
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 07:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I had a maximum of 13 freshwater tanks when I was in HS.

All the way up to 50 gallons. Nothing larger. I had a Tinfoil Barb the size of a small frying pan in a 20 gallon tank. I had to keep him by himself, he ate everything I tried to introduce to the tank.

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 07:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

We have several Koi ponds outside. My husband was the fish guy,but I recently got more into it over the past year or so.
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 08:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have a 30 gallon freshwater tank, I've had it for 6 years and have tried a few varieties of fish. My favourites are tetras, but I've had loach, gouramis, barbs, mollies, swordtails, and a few other randoms. I even had a frog for a while, it was really cool but only lived a few weeks

Right now I just have 5 fish, three glow eye tetras and two blood fin tetras. They're all almost 18 months but still doing well

I'm waiting for these guys to pass and I think I'm going to try something new, maybe angelfish.

I have a Asian theme with a large dragon that blows bubbles and a cherry blossom tree

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 08:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

We have two salt water and a fresh water. (My husband's and son's tanks.) I love all the corals. I'm glad I get to look and don't have to do anything. I have a huge garden pond with a stream and water fall. I don't keep fish in it. I just want native wildlife. Of course my son throws feeder fish in there periodically. They get big. The blue herons eat them. Back to no fish.

Wayne (P.Oliver) has some amazing setups. Maybe he will post some new pictures.
Stevenzachsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 08:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I was into fish for about 25 yrs. I never bred fish, just had nice plants and some community. I had a pleco that lived for at least 20 yrs before I gave everything to a HS kid...nice hex tank and accessories(I wish I'd kept the diatom and other stuff!) My kids were toddlers and I was sick of the maintenance.
After my son got older the bug hit him, so once again fish. He gave everything away when he moved out last spring. Moved back home and decided he wanted a tank again, so reef is his new hobby. I am not/will not maintain it! Here are a few shots of it, smaller 20 gallon and he should have saved more to go better quality, but it isn't my deal.

I can't believe how fast the coral grows. Some of it is really encroaching already.
We also have a koi pond(my baby!) and I love the plants as much as the fish:

Old 02-11-2013, 08:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

We had a nice 20 gallon blackwater tank with fish actually breeding on their own and one day my young daughter (just before we left for a long weekend) decided the fish needed to be fed. I was heartbroken when we came back.

Had a few killies after that and they were fun. But aquariums are a lot of work.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I started about two years ago with a 20 gallon with mollies, platies, gouramis, and a couple tetras. One day I went to the fish store and fell in love with the yellow gourami, so I brought it home. Well the yellow gourami kept growing and at the same time the mollies started having babies...not good for someone that had no clue about fish. So I went and bought a 55 gallon for my yellow gourami, which turned out to be a gold severum, a bala shark, sucker fish, angel fish, and a cool catfish(none of these fish belong together, but do well together). Once the mollies started dying off I stayed away from them and got a couple guppies. I started with 5 guppies and I have about 50 now in the 20 gallon and they are doing well...not sure how, because the tank is so small. I just went and looked at 210 gallon tanks for when I move, but I think I'll go with a 175 because its longer and the bala shark is getting big, the gold severum is huge, and the sucker fish is about 8-10 inches now. The guppies will get the 55 gallon and I will get rid of the 20 gallon. Yes I have learned lots about fish in the last two years
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC
Brennan- Golden Retriever

"A dog is the only thing on this earth that loves you
more than he loves himself."
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 09:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
We had a nice 20 gallon blackwater tank with fish actually breeding on their own and one day my young daughter (just before we left for a long weekend) decided the fish needed to be fed. I was heartbroken when we came back.

Had a few killies after that and they were fun. But aquariums are a lot of work.
Love killies, Discus and other brackish. Harder to keep for sure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.