Anxiety much? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2013, 04:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Anxiety much?

I've been having really bad anxiety lately. I'm happy to say that a lot of my depression is under control with my new meds but I haven't been able to shake the constant feeling that something 'bad' is going to happen. A lot of it comes from my pets and lately Zeeva's been driving me nuts because she won't listen when I ask her to come inside; she simply loves to dig in the snow and my husband threw kibble out there for her which she loves to sniff/dig up and eat. Nothing is more interesting to her than sniffing out one minuscule tid-bit; not even cheese or treats. It can literally take me 20 minutes (not including the time I let her run free to do her business and play which probably totals to 40 minutes) to get her to come inside :'c. I've to grab her collar to bring her in and now she runs away from me as if playing chase. I let her play outside while I watched from inside but this makes my anxiety increases because...I don't even know why.

And this silly nagging feeling that we are going to be homeless at some point because of all the cats that I have. I know I've discussed this before but I can go weeks without thinking about it and then weeks where it scares the living bujeezes out of me :'c. My cats are fine. We're managing them well. I haven't had any problems with my landlord. No one has asked to come over. Nothing needs fixing. Even if we were to get kicked out I know we'd be able to find housing fairly quickly...and yet this feeling lingers like a dark cloud.

I know that if I stay busy, even doing chores like shoveling the snow or fun things like walking the dogs (I've slipped and fallen recently :c), I'm fine. But down time comes, especially at night when I'm alone with the pets, and my anxiety peaks to the point of where I start hyperventilating (paper bag medication required). It's so silly and yet so real. The generic statement my head knows all is fine but my heart won't let me rest comes to mind...

Does anyone else deal with anxiety especially anxiety over little things or literally for no reason at all?

Last edited by Zeeva; 02-09-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 04:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

How I used to deal with my anxiety before was to just write in a journal a lot, but you're writing on here so that works too. It may or may not make you feel better. I would literally write every tiny little thing that was worrying me and for some reason it just always felt a little better to let it all out, sometimes I'd go back and read them and if I saw one thing that wasn't worrying me recently, instead of re-worrying about it i'd find that I'd feel a little proud of myself for realizing it wasn't on my mind recently. Made it feel like I was succeeding little by little . It may not work for you, but thta's what I used to do.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

I think winter had gotten the best of most of us....I am starting to feel depressed latley, it feels like just the beginning for me. I could literally sleep all day if I was allowed to do so. I know when there is NOTHING to do (like usual in the winter) I also sit with my thoughts and one thought leads to another, and before I know it, I'm freaking out too! lol! Not REALLY funny, but I know where you're coming from. I get what I would consider minor anxiety when I have a lot to get done. Then I cannot seem to focus on ONE thing, and scurry around, and get absolutley nothing accomplished. So then I have a glass of wine....and all is good!

Jackson- DDR/WGSL 5/5/10
Tinah vom Gildaf- DDR 4/29/13
PupperLove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 06:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

I don't know how come some people are so laid back and others are complete messes when it comes to sweating over small stuff, but I am one of those messes as well. I can spend hours thinking about one tiny thing like one sentence I may have said to someone that I think about afterwards and worry if they took it the wrong way. I have to make sure I'm REALLY tired before I go to bed, or I'll start thinking, adrenaline will go up and all of a sudden I'm worrying about something stupid and not even the least bit tired anymore. No idea how to cure it, but it helps to have a good rock to lean on (friend or partner). Thankfully my fiance is the complete opposite of me and never worries about anything. Books, wine and video games are my life soothers. Just remember, you're not alone.
GoSailGo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

I agree about not being alone. I know a LOT of people who have either depression, anxiety, or a mix of the two. Then it makes me wonder where it comes from and if it's a reaction the chemicals in our environment, or in the food we are eating, and why I never used to feel this way, and if I am an alcoholic because I drink wine to feel better, and if the alcohol is going to give me health problems....lol

Jackson- DDR/WGSL 5/5/10
Tinah vom Gildaf- DDR 4/29/13
PupperLove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 06:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PupperLove View Post
and if I am an alcoholic because I drink wine to feel better, and if the alcohol is going to give me health problems....lol
I wonder about this too! I don't drink every night, but if I've had a rough day (and there are a lot of those!) I will have wine or a few beer. I know a lot of "old people" who drink vast amounts of wine religiously every night though so I think we're ok.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSailGo View Post
I wonder about this too! I don't drink every night, but if I've had a rough day (and there are a lot of those!) I will have wine or a few beer. I know a lot of "old people" who drink vast amounts of wine religiously every night though so I think we're ok.
I'm muslim and don't drink c: So I wouldn't know...but sometimes I wonder how much stress does wine really relieve...
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 06:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeva View Post
I'm muslim and don't drink c: So I wouldn't know...but sometimes I wonder how much stress does wine really relieve...
Only a little. The issues your brain needs to sort out are still there though. Can you drink chamomile tea? That has a nice calming effect as well and its yummy on a cold winter night.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Anxiety yup I know how you feel I have 3 kids and whenever they make a mess or fight which is constantly here I feel as though my blood pressure is sky rocketing. My anxiety is the house is never clean wait well that may fall into another disorder but who knows what I do to cope is count to 10 and deep breaths or I go on a vacuuming binder( which my husband makes fun of) weird I know but for some reason it makes me feel better I'm sure I have plenty of other things that trigger me but at the moment I'm clear and can't think of them lol. For all you guys that are having the winter season it doesn't help you get the winter blues I've been there before and know all to well I was born and raised in Ny, and lived in Ct, most of my life we only moved to Fl, two years ago and every winter I would go into this funk and it was awful. Just take it 1 day at a time and relax .Life's to short to stress over so might as well make the best of it while we can. I try to tell myself that as well lol..
BellaLuna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 08:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

meditation, twice a day for twenty minutes.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.