Do you consider yourself well off? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2013, 09:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Do you consider yourself well off?

This is probably a silly question and I doubt many will answer (?) but I've been wanting to ask everyone for a while now. I think owning a dog is a luxury and you do have to be somewhat well off especially to own a couple or even a few dogs.

So, do you consider yourself well off?

I consider myself sort of well off. I don't have to work but I should in order to have some extra income to take the dogs for training etc. We are pretty heavily in debt for education loans but those are deferred for now. I was on unemployment but it recently got exhausted so I am going to get any job I can get my hands on for now...
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

O.K., I will bite . . .

No, I am not well off. I went to college, got my degree and work in the animal health field. I work 40-50hrs per week. My boyfriend works a full time job and a part time job.

Despite all of our hard work and dedication to work our anual household income for our number of household members (two adults, no children) we still fall below the state poverty level.

I buy my dogs quality food (Fromm), take Tober to training classes. They get everything they need health wise (whithin reason).
Just to clarify "whithin reson" . . . My older dog likely has a brain tumor, I cant be sure because I cant justify paying for the advanced diagnostics it would take to make a proper diagnosis. Being that she is so old, I would not pay for surgery to remove potential tumor, not to mention she is a TERRIBLE patient (biter) and would be a nervous wreck in a clinic situation. Heck, she is a nervous wreck when I bring her to work with me.

We manage our money carefully, and provide our dogs with the best we can afford. Even if it means we go without some things.

I would like to add, I come from a family of a single Mom with 3 kids living off 30k per year. So, I guess if I compare my financial situation now to that of our financial situation when I was a kid growing up there has been significant improvement!

Until we meet again . . .
Bear(rescue)-GSD, my soul mate.
Kai-(rescue)GSD, my forever baby.
Kobie-Pomeranian, my tiniest dog with the biggest heart.

Last edited by shannonrae; 02-05-2013 at 09:33 PM.
shannonrae is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 09:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

I consider myself comfortable. I'm 25, almost debt free will be by the end of 2013 until I take the buying a house plunge.

My boyfriend and I don't make a huge amount of money but we've been smart with it, can survive if one of us is out of work for some reason and are able to do/buy what we want within reason. When I have kids, I'm sure my spending habits and lifestyle will change.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Courtney M.
Gaia-GSD 03/09/2012
Cuervo vom Kiebitzende 07/01/2013
gaia_bear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 09:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

No, but sort of. I can't go buy myself nice things anytime I want, but my utilities aren't getting shut off. I feed my dog a decent quality kibble, he's always well taken care of as is my fiances puppy. I treat myself to small things every so often. I'd say i'm just about comfortable.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Nope. My dog is though, somehow. He eats better than me, sees the vet more often, and his closet is more full than mine!
Syaoransbear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 10:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't consider myself well off, but comfortable. I've worked sometimes three jobs as a single mom. The last 7 years I've been able to work one job and live comfortably. I am able to go out and buy whatever I want and I'm fine. My son is turning 21 and I'm able to financially help him with a down payment on his next new car. I'm also able to pay for his college, which is very important to me. I have good medical benefits for my son and I. I also have a nice 401k program at work. I am able to buy a home this year and I won't be poor after doing so. My dogs eat well, have medical care, training, and every toy imaginable. More importantly I have a wonderful family, good friends, and my animals...that makes me rich in so many more ways then having money.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 10:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

We are well off!! Only in the category of happiness..money sucks but we have our 5 dogs and a cat and a bird that make our lives rich. They totally eat better than us and go for check ups more often than us. I am a stay at home wife/dog care giver and wouldn't change a thing.

Karma6577 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 10:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
AJT

I think the definition of 'well off' may differ regionally since the cost of living varies so greatly from state to state and country to country...

As for me, I'm comfortable and happy where I am at. Given where I live and what I do for work, I'm considered average but maybe considered well off in other countries and/or states.

We can probably all agree that most of our dogs, animals, pets are well taken care of and live a very happy life. Happiness is the most important!!
AJT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 10:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

you consider yourself well off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeva View Post
This is probably a silly question and I doubt many will answer (?) but I've been wanting to ask everyone for a while now. I think owning a dog is a luxury and you do have to be somewhat well off especially to own a couple or even a few dogs.

So, do you consider yourself well off?

I consider myself sort of well off. I don't have to work but I should in order to have some extra income to take the dogs for training etc. We are pretty heavily in debt for education loans but those are deferred for now. I was on unemployment but it recently got exhausted so I am going to get any job I can get my hands on for now...
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 10:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

you are mega, mega, mega rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma6577 View Post

>>>>> We are well off!! Only in the category of happiness..<<<<<

money sucks but we have our 5 dogs and a cat and a bird that make our lives rich. They totally eat better than us and go for check ups more often than us. I am a stay at home wife/dog care giver and wouldn't change a thing.

doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.