Do you consider yourself well off? - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2013, 07:07 AM   #31 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I figure it could always be worse. I am paying taxes, and living the dream.
Loneforce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013, 10:08 AM   #32 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I am well off. I have a healthy family. I have a house to call home. I have healthy animals. I have a spouse who (strangely) still thinks I hung the moon and we've been married over 30 years. I serve a God who loves me.

I think that makes me well off...blessed would be a better description.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #33 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I have my health, which was rather 'iffy' over two years ago, so I consider myself well off. Any day I get up and don't hear a lawn mower over my head I consider myself lucky.

As for material wealth? I'm comfortable. I own my home, I'm single and can buy pretty much anything I want and don't have to ask permission.

I don't make mega-millions every year and I don't own my own aircraft (as much as I wish I could afford it), but I get by reasonably well and my bills are paid.

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 10:26 AM   #34 (permalink)
Master Member

In general, yes I do. My husband works for the state government here and they've had pay freezes 6 of the last 10 years though so we're getting closer and closer to the "not well off" side of things. My bosses continue to give me small raises so that helps.

Otherwise, we only have two credit cards with any kind of active balance, our cars are all paid off, we have money in retirement programs, deferred comp programs, IRA's and in savings, and our house will be paid off before we choose to retire.

Overall I would say that we are.
Odin (GSD 8/28/13)
Cosmo-space cat
Chess-fuzzy cat
Valentine-our ragdoll cat
Two great skin kids
3dognite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 10:32 AM   #35 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to zivagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Yupp, I am well off. Some people are a little off. I figure I am a bit farther off than that, well off probably is about right.
...and the number one answer is ^^^^^^ :lol:
Fell in love: Instantly
zivagirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 01:48 PM   #36 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to Powell

I wouldn't say well off, but the only real debt I have is the truck. I work at this radio station for my "socialization" and fast access to the internet.
Powell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 02:37 PM   #37 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Compared to some, I'd have to say yes, but I struggle to pay bills, wait to buy this and wait a little longer to buy that, juggle this and juggle that, do without this and do without that.
A lot of people have it worse than me, I should be grateful that we have managed to keep our heads above water thru all we've been through and we didn't claim bankruptcy. We put everything into a business and lost it, but we are standing (a little wobbly but still standing).
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 02:45 PM   #38 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Well Im having one of those days when Im quite sure I should have done something else for a living! However particularly when I look at my job and benefits I know I am incredibly lucky. If having a dog is a luxury then I must be really well off. Hopefully by august we should have no mortgage. Since this is the kind of day where I am less then optomistic this thread is good for me. You know like spinach or jogging!

Lucky- GSD Rescue 2/16/2002
Thunder from the East: adopted 1/25/2013
Miss Chevy Cruz - adopted 1/25/2013
Daisy&Lucky's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 05:06 PM   #39 (permalink)

LOL not at all, if you just look at my own income. My partner makes a very good income, though, so as a household, yes...but we just moved in together in October, so I'm still getting used to that.

I pay all the dog expenses and our finances are largely separate (and we split things like utility bills), though. It's just that he owns his house outright so I have the luxury of not having a monthly housing payment, so suddenly I'm far more well-off than I was before! And I came into the relationship with 4 dogs...

Dogs are a luxury, though. I go without on a lot of things so that I can afford mine. To me, it isn't a hardship...but I drive a 20-year-old truck, I work long hours, I paid more for rent for years and often lived in poor-quality homes just because they'd let me have 4 dogs there (the 5th just came recently for anyone checking this against my sig LOL). I have a savings account for medical emergencies that honestly really would have come in handy sometimes for other things, but I refuse to touch...except said animal medical emergencies. And even that is a luxury if you're talking about actual subsistence-level incomes--been there, done that too!

It's a relatively affordable luxury, though, and most dog owners can easily afford it just by sacrificing something they don't really want anyway (a new car every few years with its corresponding payment, premium cable, that sort of thing), but yeah, it is still a luxury.

Also, with the number of unwanted dogs that my local shelters euthanize weekly, it may be a luxury but I won't judge someone who can't provide for their dog like I can. As long as they take care of its basic needs, that's fine. I've certainly been there as well, and it was still a luxury...but even impoverished people need a little luxury in their lives. During the Great Depression people who could barely eat kept pets and scraped together pennies to go see movies...when you're living a subsistence lifestyle, having someone to love and who loves you (even if it is a dog), or an hour or two of escapism is worth so much.
Bandit-8 y/o ACD
Wooby-14 y/o ACD
Abutiu "Abi"-ACD puppy and hopeful future SAR dog!

Last edited by RowdyDogs; 02-06-2013 at 05:11 PM.
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 07:22 AM   #40 (permalink)
Elite Member

EVERYONE in this forum is well off. Just stop looking at the materialistic things in life and REALLY look at what you have compared to what MANY in this world have :P

Berlin vom Spartanville 1/13/13
Zeke 5/25/07
Luther 2008 - 7/23/12

"Take this trouble from me: Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." Max Von Stephanitz

Last edited by Anubis_Star; 02-07-2013 at 07:26 AM.
Anubis_Star is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.