Do you consider yourself well off? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2013, 12:02 AM   #21 (permalink)
Master Member

When I was a kid...my mother use to say to me I cried because I had no shoes until I saw the man with no feet.

I forget what age I was when it 'dawned' on me what it meant !

Yes...I'm well off ! (and sober 16 years !)
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013, 12:46 AM   #22 (permalink)
Elite Member

My rainboots are muddy and cracked. I got laid off, then lost my job after finding a new one. Actually within the past 2 years I've gone from riches to rags.. literally.

Live in an expensive area that I can't even afford to move out of, try to eat good but sometimes eat noodles or hotdogs for a week straight. I don't stress too much because eventually I'll make things better in time. For now, I live just outside of Vancouver - the 2nd most expensive city in the world to live in or even near really..

I don't do as much for my dogs as I'd like, at the moment. I make minimum wage, but my dogs are happy - so I'm happy.

Vida (3years) & Hype, 7 weeks
Kaity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 12:56 AM   #23 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Yupp, I am well off. Some people are a little off. I figure I am a bit farther off than that, well off probably is about right.

Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 01:19 AM   #24 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would not consider myself well off at all.

I have a lot of student debt that I am trying to pay off (Graduate school).

I own my own vehicle, pay my bills, and have a VERY small savings (for the dogs mostly...lol).

I am in the middle of transitioning to another job. I was recently promoted but didn't take the position due to the fact that I would have to move way up North (another 3-4 hours way from my family which would make it a total of 8 hours North of them). I am now in the process of transitioning to another company in a new position.

Scary time in my life, but I am 27, and have fast tracked in my career this far and therefore have a lot of experience and education backing me.

When I think "well off" I think of my parents, never had to worry about money and can do as they please, when they please.

elisabeth_00117 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 01:33 AM   #25 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Yupp, I am well off. Some people are a little off. I figure I am a bit farther off than that, well off probably is about right.
You are so cool and funny!
harmony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 01:56 AM   #26 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm far from "rich", but consider myself well off.

I'm 29 now and have zero debt of any kind. The only debt I'd have is if I owned a home, but I rent. The homes around here pretty much start at a million plus and I really don't want to have that kind of mortgage over my head.

I've got a stable job that I can pretty much pick and choose when I work - I'm self-employed, so it's all on me. Decent size savings and money spread around in mutual funds and other similar type investments. The markets been treating me well lately. I own a couple cars. I never really have to worry about making next months bills or rent which is nice. The current dog will always have her medical bills paid or an emergency operation if needed. I've got another puppy on the way this summer to look forward to.

And more important than the financial stuff is I'm happy with my life. Good family to rely on if needed. I like what I do and never stress over a job I hate. I've worked jobs in the past that I absolutely hated and you couldn't pay me all the money in the world to work a job I hated going to every day now. Can't buy that kind of stuff with money.

Give me a Mets world series or a Jets super bowl and I could probably die happy.

Last edited by Lucy Dog; 02-06-2013 at 02:02 AM.
Lucy Dog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 04:57 AM   #27 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Zeeva, who are you working for? LOL just kidding....

We are secure...in our mid 30's & have been meeting our financial goals along the way. We are both thankful for the jobs we have...while my husbands has always been challenging and has kept me on pins & needles at times it's been worth it and has put us in a good financial position.

We are very conservative with our money, save a lot and have outstanding credit. Both of our girls know how to balance a checkbook and are required to put a % of money earned or given in their savings accounts.

......having our boy has brought a lot of joy to our home and we are thankful for him too
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 06:44 AM   #28 (permalink)

Default Do you consider yourself well off?

Personally I think my fiancé and I are quite comfortable for the age we are at the moment and with our careers still developing. I'm 22 and she is 24, my salary would be around 30k without overtime and hers almost 60k. We live in Australia so it's a below average income really for myself, but I am a 2nd year electrician apprentice.

We own both our vehicles outright and have a 300k+ mortgage on the home, have travelled oversea's twice now both for 2 weeks a trip. We are currently planning our wedding for later this year and another overseas trip for 3 weeks this time for the honeymoon. Can't wait! All out utilities and bills are always paid also.

All I can say is hard work and smart choices on spending goes a long way to where we are now. On top of my full time apprenticeship I also work in a pub, so weeks total hours between the 2 exceeding 70-80 hours. I'm just keen to pay off the house!

Money isn't everything though, I think being "well off" comes down to how you spend your money and what you can do with it too enjoy life. A family friend of mine is filthy rich but miserable as all ****. As they say, money can't buy you happiness.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Benny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 06:46 AM   #29 (permalink)

Default Do you consider yourself well off?

* So a weeks total hours between the 2 jobs can often exceed 70-80 hours*

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Benny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 07:02 AM   #30 (permalink)
Master Member

We consider ourselves comfortable.

I still work; husband's retired. We own two houses mortgage-free. We are debt-free.

We threw every extra dollar into paying off the mortgages early. We have no children; we're thrifty (except when it comes to Joey - he's spoiled rotten).

My salary goes toward savings; I have a 401K/IRA. I hope to retire by year end. I realized that no matter how much you save, it will never be enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.