Cat Question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 11:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Cat Question

I have a feral barn cat. She will allow me to pet her, but not hold her and NEVER pick her up. I've worked for nearly a year just to get her to let me pet her while she eats.

This morning while at the barn I noticed she had a string wrapped around her tail. She is a long haired black cat and the string is white. It looks like the string that is used to seal feed sacks. It's about an inch from the tip of her tail. The string is long enough that it drags behind her.

While she ate her breakfast, I started petting her. She'll let me touch all over her body, so I just worked my hand back to her tail. I couldn't tell if it was tied or wrapped. My error was I stopped petting her and held the string in one hand and made a failed attempt to untangle it from her tail. She jumped, I pulled her tail and off she went.

The string is a light weight type string. It'll break easily. So I'm not as concerned about her getting hung up, as I am about the string getting tight on her tail.

So, after much thought, I think I have two choices. One), I can trap her in her kennel (she'll go in for tuna) and take her to the vet. They'll sedate her and remove the string. Or Two) I can throw a blanket/towel over her, hold her tight and remove the string myself. At least that would be the plan.

She's a rescue that has been spade. So she has been sedated before, but I don't have record of if she had any complications. Having said that, I hate to sedate her just for string removal.

Any cat folk out there have a better idea to attempt to remove the string? My daughter is in town, so I'll have an extra set of hands. But the cat won't come near her (as she doesn't know her). I did pull her breakfast (after she ran) to make sure she'd be good and hungry tonight. I'm 99.9% sure she'll be in for dinner.

Just a note: There is no possible way that anybody 'tied' the string to her tail. She won't allow anybody remotely close to her (but me during feeding). So I think the string is wrapped and not tied.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

I think the blanket idea is good, but just know trust can be broken with a feral pet. I had a feral cat that I tamed up a bit, and during the summer decided to put some flea preventative on her. Just the stuff between the shoulder blades. She would never come near me again after I did it.

Do you think the vet would really sedate her? Or would they just pull the string off? I don't know that the vet would want to sedate unnecessarily if the string can be pulled off fairly easily.
LaneyB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneyB View Post
I think the blanket idea is good, but just know trust can be broken with a feral pet. I had a feral cat that I tamed up a bit, and during the summer decided to put some flea preventative on her. Just the stuff between the shoulder blades. She would never come near me again after I did it.

Do you think the vet would really sedate her? Or would they just pull the string off? I don't know that the vet would want to sedate unnecessarily if the string can be pulled off fairly easily.
Because it's a feral, NORMALLY the vet sedates while the cat is still in the kennel to do any vet work. But I'd have to call and make sure they'll do it for string removal.

I've had feral cats for the past 20 years or so. I haven't had a problem with them forgiving me in the past. Especially after trapping them in the kennel. It might take a week or two, but they'll eventually forgive me. I haven't had one leave..yet. This cat is a young cat. I haven't trapped her yet. I think that's why I'd rather try doing it myself. Save the kennel trap for an emergancy. I just don't want this to turn into something ugly (cutting of circulation). She is a really long haired cat, so I can't tell if it's tight or not.
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Old 02-04-2013, 12:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

I was going to suggest the same thing cover her and then attempt to get the string off just be sure to cover yourself up as well and having your daughter around would be the way to go as they can tend to be a bit fiesty when restricted, and if all fails then go to the vet. Best of luck with the task at hand
BellaLuna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 12:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would do the crate capture then blanket and get it done. Less stress .

Definetely make sure to take the crate to a small closed room before opening it, we've made that mistake before and had to start at square one And heavy gloves!

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 12:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

See if your local animal shelter has an animal trap. Smaller than a kennel and you should be able to get at the string while she's in it.
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) – Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 12:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri & The Gang View Post
See if your local animal shelter has an animal trap. Smaller than a kennel and you should be able to get at the string while she's in it.
Ah!!! Didn't think of that. We have a small animal trap (I don't 'do' possums). Hmmmmm
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Old 02-05-2013, 08:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Just a quick follow up regarding the great cat adventure.

Daughter (who is visiting from out of state) went out to the barn while I was at work. She tempted the cat with a can of tuna. When the cat came up and started eating, she snatched it by the neck and squished her to the ground with one hand and removed the string with the other.

Luckily the string wasn't tight. Luckily the cat didn't take her hand off.

Kids...geesh.
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Old 02-05-2013, 09:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

oh well - I was going to suggest a very small amount of tuna with some oral ace in it from the vet...letting her go in a crate with the tuna, closing the door and letting her fall asleep in it, then taking off the string....

Lee

wolfstraum.net

wolfstraum is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 10:15 AM   #10 (permalink)

I'm glad it worked out so well. Feral cats are so vulnerable. We used to keep several at our barn until the coyotes got so numerous. We brought the last three into the house and made them pets.
Marnie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.