Hmmmm - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 07:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Thumbs down Hmmmm

well where to start...

I guess maybe here will work.

I do not think this forum is for me anymore. I have been here for several months contributing pictures, insight, thoughts, concerns, questions, and a few laughs along the way. I am an OVERLY patriotic american citizen/serviceman who proudly has fought in combat for my (and your) rights as citizens. As a matter of fact, a little bit about me.... There has been one of my relatives in EVERY SINGLE AMERICAN CONFLICT EVER! From me on up through my father, his father, his father and so on and so forth we have been in every single American conflict ever recorded! (I find it AWESOME) I am that guy that still gets goosebumps when the national anthem is sung.

I recently posted something that I thought people should hear about because it was a VERY big deal amongst myself and my fellow servicemen that I work with. I posted the link here to share and get some feed back on what some of you other servicemen and women thought about this topic, and anyone else who wanted to chime in. That post has since been deleted and dubbed "political". I am not sure what the big hang up on political posts is but I thought you could post about whatever you wanted... freedom of speech and all... so I checked the rules.

According to the rules (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...ts.html)nearly any type of post is aloud. But the admins hold the "right" to censor the posters of this forum as they see fit...? Seems a bit on the rough side? Censorship violates the first ammendment...which technically in turn is a crime (just saying). But I couldn't find anything concerning "political posts". Then I went back into the forums and in the description to the cafe section it says it there. When I posted the horrible post I didn't click that link and had never seen that before.

So for anyone who happened to read my terrible post and it offended you in any way, I appologize. I do not post with malicious intent. But in my leaving (apparently you can not delete your profile simply not log on anymore) I may still lurk a little bit but I will not post any more on this forum for fear of being censored once more. (even though I will likely be censored and have this post deleted on me even though this doesn't violate any rules)

In the end, I want to thank those of you who posted kind remarks about my dog. Those that helped me out when I had questions and helped guide me in the right direction. Those that laughed with me in making goofy captioned pics. And those that allowed me to look in awe at their gorgeous dogs. Thank you GSD addicts. You will be missed.

~Wink

Old 01-29-2013, 07:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

I do not follow many forums, but I do know they all have their own sometimes quirky rules. It's really not about violating the 1st amendment, it's just about the rules for that particular forum. There are groups I don't belong to because I don't agree with their philosophies, I don't let it bother me I just go elsewhere. That said, I would like to thank you and your family for your service to this country. It is truly appreciated. Take care and have a good day...
ksotto333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 07:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

With all due respect (I don't know what thread/posts you are talking about, just logged on) this is a privately owned forum. The owner has the right to have it censored as s/he pleases. I've never liked that political discussion is banned, but I was around when it was and it was not pretty. This is a German Shepherd forum and it is exhausting for mods and admins to have to do the majority of policing (of adults, which shouldn't need to be done in the first place) in topics that have no relevance to dogs or the breed. I'm saying this as a member that's been here for several years, not as a mod.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 07:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Well, I hate to see you go, but the rules are there for a reason. Political posts are prohibited because it's one of those things that can become heated and nasty. People are passionate about politics and religion and just seeing what happened during the last election on facebook was very disheartening. I deleted a ton of nasty posts on a daily basis.
I think the admins are right that it doesn't belong here, this is a dog forum.

You can't "post whatever you want". This forum would be in such a state of disarray if that were allowed to happen.
If you want to leave because you feel you were censored, that is certainly within your rights. But I don't see why having to follow rules is such a hard thing.
Nikki (Polydactyl kitty) 6/15/07

~ Chasing your tail gets you nowhere ... 'cept back to where you started ~
http://www.youtube.com/GSDGunner
GSDGunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 08:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDGunner View Post
Well, I hate to see you go, but the rules are there for a reason. Political posts are prohibited because it's one of those things that can become heated and nasty. People are passionate about politics and religion and just seeing what happened during the last election on facebook was very disheartening. I deleted a ton of nasty posts on a daily basis.
I think the admins are right that it doesn't belong here, this is a dog forum.

You can't "post whatever you want". This forum would be in such a state of disarray if that were allowed to happen.
If you want to leave because you feel you were censored, that is certainly within your rights. But I don't see why having to follow rules is such a hard thing.
Well said.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:23 AM   #6 (permalink)

I've moderated a forum before, and political threads generate a ton of work. They get nasty, they get heated, reports are made (false ones and legitimate ones, and both need to be read) and it becomes a huge time sink cleaning them up. I have no problem with the rule that they're not allowed. It is a dog forum, not a political one. There are plenty of other places online to discuss politics.

I don't know if the moderators here are paid, but I would be surprised if they are just judging by how most forums work. Asking someone who volunteered to moderate a dog forum to deal with political discussions is a pretty big leap IMO.

And yeah, this isn't a violation of your 1st Amendment rights. This is a private business and they don't owe you (or anyone) a platform.

I appreciate your service to our country. There are usually not similar restrictions on PMs if you have specific posters in mind you'd like to discuss your concern with.
Bandit-8 y/o ACD
Wooby-14 y/o ACD
Abutiu "Abi"-ACD puppy and hopeful future SAR dog!
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 08:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

there are forums for probably every interest imaginable, and I would imagine that there are plenty for politics.

There are set rules here for reasons, there are rules against presenting negative remarks about a breeder when someone inquires....that is very restrictive, and often there are outcries about honesty being helpful to people looking for pups. But if something negative is posted, even if true, with videos, the retribution is furious and at times unwarrented and downright aggressive and nasty. I remember a newbie with a pup with issues, and that person was driven off the forum due to his honesty. The fall out was way out of proportion to a breeder not standing behind a misplaced, mis-evaluated puppy. So - to make the forum enjoyable, and to avoid drama and nastiness, no negatives allowed publically ---- Political discussion is even more dramatic and nasty. This is a GSD forum, so I respect that political discussion should take place on a political forum....

Lee
Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia BH ~ ATB Basha Sch3 IPO3, Danger Sch1 RH SAR ~ Kougar Sch3, Kyra Sch3, Cito Sch2, Alice Sch1, Kelsey CD, Ret ~ Fenja Sch3s

wolfstraum.net
wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 08:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyDogs View Post
I
I don't know if the moderators here are paid, but I would be surprised if they are just judging by how most forums work. Asking someone who volunteered to moderate a dog forum to deal with political discussions is a pretty big leap IMO..
Moderators receive no compensation in any way. And this is a dog forum, with international membership, not a political forum.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 09:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
Moderators receive no compensation in any way. And this is a dog forum, with international membership, not a political forum.
Hey!!! What about getting to chat with the rest of us? That's gotta be a major perk!!!

Wait...maybe not....
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 09:02 AM   #10 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

The removed post was in the, though they apply to all posts in all forums:
02/25/09 Policy Regarding Political Discussions

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.