Hmmmm - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 01:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wink-_-wink View Post
I am not sure what the big hang up on political posts is but I thought you could post about whatever you wanted... freedom of speech and all... so I checked the rules.
Lucia posted a link to the "no politics" rule - as you can see, it's been in effect for nearly 4 years, long before you were a member here. Perhaps it could be more prominent, but since the political posts were in the Chat forum, that's where the rule was announced and stickied.

Quote:
According to the rules (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...ts.html)nearly any type of post is aloud. But the admins hold the "right" to censor the posters of this forum as they see fit...? Seems a bit on the rough side? Censorship violates the first ammendment...which technically in turn is a crime (just saying).
The first amendment question has come up many times before, and I'm baffled as to why. This board owner (a Canadian corporation) has the right to set whatever rules they want and board members have the right to choose not to participate in the forum if they don't agree with the rules. In America you do have the right of free speech, but we're not in America, we're on the internet, along with people from all over the world, who certainly don't expect American civil rights to apply to them.

Admins and Mods are not "censoring" your posts, we are simply applying the board rules, which is our (unpaid, volunteer) job.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 01:58 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
The first amendment question has come up many times before, and I'm baffled as to why.
Because unfortunately many people don't understand that the Bill of Rights apples to the actions of the US gov't and it's representatives, not to the actions of private individuals or corporations. (ETA: and only in the US, of course, but that's not what people usually have a problem remembering from civics/poly-sci class)

Plus, many people don't have a REAL concept that the internet is global and just assume your site is in their home country. I mean, somewhere in the back of their minds they know it could be hosted elsewhere, it just doesn't occur to them unless it's posted somewhere.

Last edited by stealthq; 01-29-2013 at 02:01 PM.
stealthq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 02:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member

as a former service member i applaud and thank you for your service. first and foremost this is a gsd forum. as a service member you are used to following the rules and just like the service, to be a member here we are obligated to follow the forum rules. if you want to be involved in a political forum, try jeep forum.com. they have a political and religion debate section. scroll down till you find it. interesting that you are unable to find value in the forum in the way it is intended, a gsd forum.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 02:12 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthq View Post
Because unfortunately many people don't understand that the Bill of Rights apples to the actions of the US gov't and it's representatives, not to the actions of private individuals or corporations. (ETA: and only in the US, of course, but that's not what people usually have a problem remembering from civics/poly-sci class)

Plus, many people don't have a REAL concept that the internet is global and just assume your site is in their home country. I mean, somewhere in the back of their minds they know it could be hosted elsewhere, it just doesn't occur to them unless it's posted somewhere.
I know, but it's not that difficult a concept to grasp, and it seems to be a uniquely American phenomenon - this assumption that your civil rights follow you wherever you go, including other countries and online, which is not actually IN a country.

I'm an American, but it would never occur to me to go to Canada, or Europe or South American and demand that they respect my American civil rights. Why would they? Why SHOULD they? I just don't get it.

Even here there are limits to the right of free speech. Your employer can certainly ask you not to swear, or proselytize in the workplace, and just try going to store or restaurant and shouting obscenities. Won't take long before you get asked to leave.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master Member

Being as patriotic as you are, you ought to know that the First Amendment prevents the Federal and State governments from infringing on citizen's rights to free speech, to worship freely, your freedom to peaceably assemble, and the press to report freely without government intervention.

It has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with rules on a privately run and operated internet forum. I assume in the military you were not permitted to speak poorly of your superiors? Were you permitted to wear anything you please (commonly held to be freedom of expression?) This shouldn't be a foreign concept.

The First is about what the government is or is not permitted to restrict on its civilians, not what you are permitted to say or not say, and where you can or cannot say it. It doesn't follow you with every word you say or every word you type, no matter what.

Last edited by Draugr; 01-29-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Draugr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 02:15 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
as a former service member i applaud and thank you for your service. first and foremost this is a gsd forum. as a service member you are used to following the rules and just like the service, to be a member here we are obligated to follow the forum rules.
I would imagine that there are limits to free speech in the military, so this shouldn't be such a foreign concept to the OP.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
Knighted Member

also, if you do decide to stay, you may want to not post threads about ceaser, the dog training guy, severe angulation or working gsd vs show lines. seems like they "stir the pot" and could cause you to miss out on some advice from some really knowledgeable breeders and owners here.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:20 PM   #18 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
I know, but it's not that difficult a concept to grasp, and it seems to be a uniquely American phenomenon - this assumption that your civil rights follow you wherever you go, including other countries and online, which is not actually IN a country.

I'm an American, but it would never occur to me to go to Canada, or Europe or South American and demand that they respect my American civil rights. Why would they? Why SHOULD they? I just don't get it.

Even here there are limits to the right of free speech. Your employer can certainly ask you not to swear, or proselytize in the workplace, and just try going to store or restaurant and shouting obscenities. Won't take long before you get asked to leave.
as former service member myself i can assure you we and the op are taught in boot camp that our "rights" do not follow us to other countries. actually are rights are checked at the gate and we are then obligated to follow the ucmj. either way, life in the military is simple, follow the rules or you are out.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:23 PM   #19 (permalink)
Knighted Member

cassidy, appears you type much faster than i do. lol
Old 01-29-2013, 02:25 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:

I agree with you.

I don't understand why so many others don't seem to get it either. But then, we are talking about a populace where a significant percentage (I think the last poll I saw was ~11%) don't know who's the current President, something that I find completely mind-boggling and a tremendous look at the general ignorance in regards to politics/civics. Yeah, OK, if you have no interest in politics you might not know your House representative, for example, but the President!? When he's seemingly in the news every time you turn around? How do you miss that?
stealthq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.