Coyotes break window in attack on dogs - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2013, 07:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
We have 6 ft in the back yard and it stops everything but raccoons! The coyotes at work will usually dig rather than jump (6' chain link), but I wouldn't put it past them to try if they wanted something bad enough.
I was at a friends house last year and he has lots of property and they were jumping over his fence then back over...it was like it was a game or maybe they were teaching the younger ones?
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2013, 10:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Our neighbor has a friend in Riverside (not far from where this took place)...
She called us this morning to tell us about it, because she was kinda freakin out.....since we have many coyotes here.
*FWIW...It is a true story.*
robinhuerta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 10:46 AM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I just read this story, the one I read before wasn't as detailed. I didn't know there were 3 dogs and the coyotes still attempted to eat them. These aren't what I would consider small dogs, so it worries me that they are getting more brave. I wonder what the coyotes would do if the dogs fought back instead of run(which I think was very smart of them to do)? There is not a place I can move to that this won't possibly happen with mine
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
Old 01-27-2013, 11:09 AM   #14 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynneLittlefield View Post
Don't believe everything you read.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
I don't but I believe this.
GregK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 11:47 AM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Here's another link Pack of coyotes try to break down door chasing suburban dogs - Chicago Sun-Times
I wonder if coyote/wolf hybrids have migrated this far west? Not that that would make this event more likely, just curious after the natgeo story a few years back.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 12:45 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Here's another link Pack of coyotes try to break down door chasing suburban dogs - Chicago Sun-Times
I wonder if coyote/wolf hybrids have migrated this far west? Not that that would make this event more likely, just curious after the natgeo story a few years back.
Several years ago I was driving through the border of this town(by the forest preserves) and two huge creatures were walking across the street. I swore they were wolves because of their size. They weren't dogs and they were't coyotes, just to big. There was a disease that went through and killed off lots of the deer in the area and this is probably part of the problem with them finding food. They are out and about day and night. I've seen them crossing the road at 9am, in the park at about noon, etc. When my golden was just over a year he was by my patio door growling...I look and see a coyote nose to nose with him. After this I did go get pepper spray to protect my dogs on walks.
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
Old 01-27-2013, 02:12 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Out here we have tons of coyotes, but they are generally very shy. They'll absolutely kill pets and livestock (and yeah, fences aren't always the deterrent people think), even big dogs, and it is absolutely unheard-of for them to cause property damage like that trying to get at dogs when the owner is around. Beagles aren't very big so it wouldn't surprise me that a group of coyotes would attack 3 beagles, though generally they do prefer solo dogs or very small ones. My (at the time) 60-pound GSD used to keep our local pack away from my goats just because they were hesitant to approach anyway (too much evidence of dogs and humans around), and one big dog barking at them without coming too close was enough to chase them off. Other times I scared them off just by opening the door and stepping outside, or turning on the light. You also almost never see them hunting during the day. Occasionally I've been stalked by a single coyote during the day, but it's always either been clearly a juvenile just learning the ropes (they follow you out of curiosity sometimes but aren't a real threat), or a mother making sure I'm not threatening her nearby den and she leaves us as soon as we're out of the vicinity. I've always been ignored or run from when I see them at night.

Years ago we did have a big problem with coyote/dog hybrids that were much more aggressive than a true coyote. They often looked similar but they would attack even with people around and sometimes attack people. At one point there was an advisory to not jog or run on ditch roads between dawn and dusk as there were some close calls. I wonder if it might be something like that? From what I understand they are a lot more common than wolf/coyote hybrids.

And of course with any wild animal, they become more dangerous as they become more habituated to close contact with people. I could see coyotes doing this if they'd learned not to be afraid of humans.
Bandit-8 y/o ACD
Wooby-14 y/o ACD
Abutiu "Abi"-ACD puppy and hopeful future SAR dog!

Last edited by RowdyDogs; 01-27-2013 at 02:16 PM.
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 02:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyDogs View Post
I could see coyotes doing this if they'd learned not to be afraid of humans.
I think this is exactly it. Coyotes are sighted downtown Chicago(several times) with not a care that people were everywhere. We see them all times of the day..I have stopped to watch them and I'm in a car talking to them 5 ft away, not running away. They are everywhere, I don't know of a place that they aren't. I keep taking in cats because I don't want the coyotes to kill them, its not a pleasant sound, I hear it quite often
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.