Losing touch with the forum - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 09:07 AM   #21 (permalink)
Master Member

Amina I'm glad you're back, I've missed your doggie tales!

I'm always here, I spend way too much time online but I don't feel that I quite have the experience to reach out on a lot of posts.

Courtney M.
Gaia-GSD 03/09/2012
Cuervo vom Kiebitzende 07/01/2013
gaia_bear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 10:02 AM   #22 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I find that I do more checking in and 'lurking' now than I do posting(whether it's replying or making new threads).
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 10:15 AM   #23 (permalink)

I left for a long time when my female shepherd developed DM. There was nothing to say, training was no longer relevant. I just wanted to spend my limited time with her, and the posts about happy healthy dogs and puppies made it worse. Now I have a rescue with a whole different set of skills and problems, and the game's back on
StephenV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 06:10 PM   #24 (permalink)
Elite Member

Amina ... good to see you back!!!! How were your holidays?

When I joined the forum, I was working at a job where I literally did absolutely nothing all day. I sat at my computer and read the forum from 7 to 3, Monday to Friday ... I had absolutely nothing else to do. So I contributed lots and lots and enjoyed most of the threads.

I left that contract at the end of December, and have started a new contract where I'm super busy, and don't yet have the internet LOL

Once I get home, take Ky out for our outing (even in -39 for heaven's sake is that EVER COLD!) it's almost 7 pm, then I eat and the last thing I want to do is get back on the computer after being on it all day!!!

And part of it is the repetition of the same questions from newbies ... I find it frustrating that most of them don't bother reading through the archives / searching for their question ... before posting ... I've seen the same question 5 times in 2 days and just sigh and move on.

I have made some "friends" on here, but three of them quit posting on a regular basis because of some of the "flaming" that went on ... that turned me off a bit too. I do have a thick skin but I don't like to see other people get slammed because they have done something differently.

Hopefully, I'll be able to get back on here a bit more often ... if I'm not, no one's forgotten, it just means I'm actually working for my pay cheque LOL
Old 01-25-2013, 07:44 PM   #25 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I do a lot more lurking than posting. It's hard for me to take the time to read through all the threads. When I see something interesting, I might respond and, when I come back later, have 5 pages of posts following mine. I really don't feel like taking the time to read through all of them to keep up with the thread or see if someone commented on what I posted.

Also, I think it would be nice if we could have a "Like" button as there is on Facebook. There are times when I see a post that I really agree with, but there are several pages of posts following. If I take the time to respond to that post, chances are the person may not even see my response.

So, I guess the thing that keeps me away is the sheer volume of posts and not enough time to read them. When I want/need GSD information, I usually do a search and get information that way rather than starting a new thread.

Edelheid von Baerchenhaus (Heidi) ~ 3/18/2003 - 8/15/2012
Heidi's Dogster page

Sophie von Baerchenhaus ~ 8/15/2012 -

.......__o
.......\-\
....( )/\( )...
Heidi's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 09:22 PM   #26 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Amina, you really do post unique interesting threads that are so interesting and refreshing to read, like this one and the "show me your backyards". Okay, my turn to explain why I took a forum break. It was really a combination of what the others have said. Yes, I got tired of the same old questions. What I now to do is not stick to one subject like the training but to go to active topics (which is how I found yours ) and new posts, so I don't get in a rut, and just enjoy the braggs and the photos - that way I've really come across some interesting different threads. And yes, I did get discouraged and got into a heated thread in the breeders section with the working line folks being loudly opposed to the big oversize GSDs like my Sting. But I came to realize, that they did have some valid points (the standard for one), but so what, it didn't really matter what they thought, to each their own. And of course there was work - converting old Microsoft spreadsheets to Excel, like Kyleigh wrote the last thing I wanted to do was get back on a computer in my off time. What got me back, was a new GSD owner who I met last May. She had rescued a GSD and had 3 other dogs and a cat. I recommended the forum and so I thought, why not see what's going on, and I stayed.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:15 PM   #27 (permalink)
Elite Member

I've been part of a scrapbooking message board for 10 yrs and the same thing happens there. People come and go, they get involved in other things, family demands change with the seasons

Kenai - 10 yr old Samoyed Koda - 8 yr old Samoyed
Max - 4 yr old rescue Persian Nita - 01/26/2012 GSD
gmcwife1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 05:28 PM   #28 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think anyone who has been a member of this particular forum for any long period of time can understand why one might choose to take a break.

I was really addicted to this forum when I signed up, read it several times a day, started threads, etc. that was when I had a million questions and problems that I needed help with. Now life with my dogs has really settled in and I don't have any behavioral issues I can't handle, and Knock wood no health issues will arise. So the only reason I post now is if a chat thread catches my attention or if I see a topic where I think I might have some useful input (doesn't happen often lol).

Plus I just got four Angry Birds games and a new iPad.
Good_Karma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 06:38 PM   #29 (permalink)
Rua
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi's Mom View Post
Also, I think it would be nice if we could have a "Like" button as there is on Facebook. There are times when I see a post that I really agree with, but there are several pages of posts following. If I take the time to respond to that post, chances are the person may not even see my response.
I LIKE THIS!!! *insert Facebook thumbs up sign here*

I would love to see a like button on this forum....and I think that everytime I see a post that I like. Such as this one.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:50 PM   #30 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I think it helps to remember that this forum isn't only about asking for and giving advice. One doesn't need to be an expert to reply. There a several areas, like this chat room, but also the new members introductions, the pictures, stories, braggs, and the death of a pet, where the reply is a comforting or encouraging word. Here is reply on Skywalkers Mom 's thread, Still wondering if this site is worth the time
"evenzachsmom;2832202]As others have said....This forum has a wealth of information. I have done many searches to find answers. I currently have a non-GSD pup and still come here for information. I have made many friends and I love coming here. I am often on and off and don't always respond. If I have a very specific question, I go directly to PM. I know who I want to ask about rescue, or training, or behavior issues.

There is also that little saying about "being a friend." When I see a thread with zero responses, I click on. If I have no advice, I bump the thread. I try to welcome new members. I PM people, when I think they are having a hard time and need a shoulder, or when I think they have given especially good advice.

It works for me and I'm staying - me and my little dog too. Heh, Heh, Heh![/QUOTE]
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.