I am incredibly disgusted by this.. - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013, 02:01 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dainerra View Post
Rowdy - it's legal everywhere to shoot a dog that is killing livestock. Here, I know where most of the roaming dogs come from - the trailer park across the street. So with a bit of watching, I can narrow it down to a couple homes and I have a deputy come over and inform them that their dog is harassing livestock. Once a complaint has been made, in AR it is legal to shoot the dog the second it enters your property (one of the few states where it IS legal to do that). The longest time a dog was ever kept chained after the deputy visit was 2 days. The shortest time was that the dog was roaming 4 houses down before the deputy even left the driveway. That dog was actually shot that same afternoon by another neighbor. The dog was body-slamming their sliding glass door trying to get to their indoor cats.
Where I was living at the time, it's legal to shoot the dog just for being on your property too, and you don't even have to make a complaint first. I never saw just a visit from the police make someone change their ways either, but the local sheriff's department was really good about fining them for it too, which could be $500-1,000 in a very economically depressed area. That usually made them shape up for awhile at least. It wasn't illegal just to let your dog roam, but it was illegal to let them do it if they were a nuisance and harassing wildlife or livestock.

I was friends with one of the sheriff's deputies and apparently I was actually known as a bit of a PITA for harassing the cops to do something rather than just shooting the dog. I was like, hey, I pay taxes, I don't want to have to shoot dogs! It usually wasn't too hard to figure out who the dog belonged to, but that one dog we just couldn't figure out. I did eventually learn who owned him purely by accident months later, even, but of course by then it was too late to do much.

I think that people who haven't seen just how vicious and destructive domestic dogs can be when loose and unsupervised just don't get it. And it is sad, because they're just being dogs and it's their owners' fault that they're in that position. I don't want to derail further though, I just brought it up because I wanted to illustrate that even in areas where there isn't heavy traffic, it's stupid and dangerous to let your dog roam.
Bandit-8 y/o ACD
Wooby-14 y/o ACD
Abutiu "Abi"-ACD puppy and hopeful future SAR dog!

Last edited by RowdyDogs; 01-27-2013 at 02:04 PM.
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 07:42 PM   #22 (permalink)

Default I am incredibly disgusted by this..

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksteven View Post
Exactly! People in my area let their dogs loose in front of the house all the time. I have had several neighbors dogs charge at me and ramsey while on walks. now i have a dog that is on guard and aggressive towards other dogs thanks to this.
I have the same problem only one of the houses doesn't even have a fence. I always have to drive somewhere to walk Avery or else I'm afraid the other dogs will get to close and start a fight.

My biggest peeve here in Germany is when I see dogs who are off leash in town on the streets with cars. Granted usually these dogs are in a heel or would be walking in a loose leash position, doesn't change the fact that one distraction on the other side of the street could cause an accident.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Mamma to Mellie (Black Cat) and Avery (GSD)
jourdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 01:06 AM   #23 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I've found that a lot of people out in the country think that walking their dogs mean opening the door and letting the dogs walk themselves.I'm in a neighborhood now,but it's still considered rural. Whenever I'm out walking early in the morning (sometimes 3 or 4),I always see some of the neighborhood dogs roaming. It does everyone good to keep your dogs in your yard,even if they are friendly.
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.