how many of you try to buy locally? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 11:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default how many of you try to buy locally?

I wanted to buy a new vacuum, specifically a Miele Kona, to me the holy grail of vacuums. I have wanted this vacuum for a long time (actually its predecessor the Callisto, the Kona is the new model for the Callisto). The local vacuum store carried it for full retail price ($899) plus sales tax ($45) for a total price of $944. I could order it from a vacuum shop in Chicago where I have previously purchased a vacuum seven years ago with free shipping and no tax, plus they had a 10% off sale, so the total would be $810. The local store manager refused to even discount it enough so it would be effectively tax-free. The price difference was nothing to sneeze at. Long story short, I bought it from a shop in Chicago and had it sent to me, so the local store again didn't get my business, they didn't even try to compete. On one hand I feel bad because it's a nice store and the manager lady is quite helpful, but on the other hand I'm a little annoyed they wont ever budge on price.

What do you think?
Ares
asja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 11:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

That vacuum brand Miele is one that I detest! I use a few different models and not one of them is worth what they charge. I hope you like yours. Too heavy, IMO and the handle has had issues(the progressive power glitches)Repair prices are outrageous as well.
I would put my money into a Riccar instead of the Miele.
Buying local, IMO is purchasing a product that is made local(in my case USA or in state)or supporting a small local owned business.

I buy local as often a possible. I will ask the local mom&pop stores to order for me instead of ordering online if they can access certain products. At Christmas, I gave a local vineyards wine to my clients.
We have the Bissell vac company in my area, and I have bought their products repeatedly.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Well my husband is German so to us it's still local.
Ares
asja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 11:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

I shop at the original Meijer store (and call it "Meijers" if that makes sense to anyone else here), does that count? For pet supplies, I buy everything at my local Chow Hound branch unless it's a product they don't carry. They know all my dogs by name (and what they eat). When we go out to eat we are trying to use local places, though we are going out a lot less. My husband also gets most of our groceries from the market at the end of our street.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

My son and I go through phases where we try to buy our food from local farmers. We are talking about starting it again this spring/summer. It is kind of difficult because we have to go to multiple places each week to get our food - farmer's market, fruit/veg stands, local bakery. But usually after a few months of it we go back to just going to the grocery store.
LaneyB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 11:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I try to always buy local when I can. I will NEVER shop at Wal-Mart. It would have to be the LAST place available for me. Same with other big box stores. I prefer little local hardware stores, etc. I do order online stuff though too, just for selection I can't get here. I have my local pet food store order Rocket's food though even though I could myself, because I really like them and I want to support them.

This hits home to me because in my work season, I can't tell you how many times people come in with (or without) a sample of a plant or an issue, I show them their options for treatment, etc, spend 20 minutes explaining how it got there/what's going on and how to use the chemical/fertilizer/whatever and then they put it back on the shelf and say "I can get that cheaper at WM or Home Depot" and leave.

$%&#$ THEN GO ASK THEM HOW TO USE IT. And suffer the consequences.

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 11:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I definately try to buy local but I check prices. I've found for the most part some small shops try to at least match online prices. I get my heartworm, flea & tick stuff from my vet. A local feed & grain store will match online prices so I've brought stuff there. I've picked up things at the local pet store. Amex promotes local business Saturday so I went to the hardware store and stilll can't believe I spent $24 for basic trash cans.
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 11:40 AM   #8 (permalink)

I should say, I try to shop local but don't really care about the products. For example, if I need a furnace filter I'll go to the hardware store at the end of my street (not a chain, just a one-off shop) but I don't really care what brand he carries or whether it was made in the USA. Same for the local market, I know most of his brands are the same stuff I can get at a large commercial grocery chain but I'd rather give the local guy the markup.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 11:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I buy local when the local dealer works with me. I do not expect them to match internet prices because they are smaller and have overhead but also expect a realistic price. Local is not necessarily more convenient though.

One challenge I have faced is customer service seems better online than locally. I spend about $120 a month plus on dog food and the local retailer (small) can get my food from the distributor they use, and orders enough from that distributor to add my food. I offered to prepay. I offered to buy a pallet load. All they are interested in is selling me the food they push so forget it! CUSTOMER SERVICE. I buy online.

On the taxes. My state requires me to pay sales tax on out of state purchases when I file my income tax and I do. I would never expect a local business to "eat" the sales tax.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 11:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I seldom buy locally. I usually buy on-line whenever I can. UPS know my house well and even leaves cookies for Molly. One of the regular route driver owns a GSD.

I look for free shipping and search for online businesses that won't charge sales tax. In CA between our state, county and city taxes, we are almost 9%. So even if the price is the same as a local store, I save time and gas money, plus get a 9% discount.

Many local stores do not keep good inventory, so many times I've wanted something that was out of stock and the store will offer to order it on-line for me - no thanks.

My region is not business friendly, parking is difficult in the downtown areas and expensive, and there are many undesirable people that make walking around unpleasant. If I want a decent shopping experience I either must drive 30 minutes north to Los Gatos or 45 minutes south to Monterey or Carmel.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.