Coming into apartment when I'm not home - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2013, 02:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
DTS
Master Member

Default Coming into apartment when I'm not home

If you do live or have lived in an apartment how do/did you feel about the managers/maintance coming in when you aren't home. We have had a real issue with out bathroom lately and the walls are going to be riped out and replaced along with our closet carpet.
Many times they have wanted to come in without us being there but I told them no because our dog is loose.
The guy came by today and had to check the apartment above for leaks and the tenants weren't home and he entered. I'm not sure if he called or not to see if the had any pets.
My fear is this.. They have said they will come in if we crate her but I'm not sure I want that either. How will she react with strangers in the home without me present. In this case is a dog supposed to know these guys aren't a threat even though I'm not present?
My dog has weak nerves and I don't think it's a good idea to have them come in even if she is crated because I think it will do mental damage and scare her more.
I have signs up on the front window next to the door and back sliding door saying we have a gsd. I'm afraid even though I've told them not to, they will forget and enter anyway.
What are your thoughts?
If we crate her and they come in can it be mentally damaging to a weak nerved dog?
I refused to have them come in when I'm gone, would you do the same?
DTS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 02:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I just had a major leak in my bathroom from the bath tub upstairs. The guy upstairs fixes the stuff in the building and he wanted to come in without us being home(my dogs like him when I'm around). I refused, not only because of my dogs(they are a real good excuse)..I don't trust anyone in my home if I'm not there. I was lucky because my landlord feels the same way and always gives me notice if he needs to come in and that has been once in three years. He would not allow the man upstairs to come in unless I was home. Needless to say it took about a month or so to get everything fixed, but I lived through it without any complaints. I don't blame you..you just don't know if things will be okay or not. There is no use setting any dog back. Can't they come in on weekends when you are home?
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 02:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Most states have laws about landlords giving proper notice before entry, in cases other than an emergency. In California it's 24 hours, but I see that in Florida it's only 12 hours: Chart: Notice Requirements to Enter Rental Property, by State | Nolo.com

There's a lot of good information about Tenants' rights to privacy on the Nolo Press site: When may a landlord enter rental property? Is advance notice required? - Nolo.com

With notice, you should be able to crate your dog in a closed room away from any work they will be doing. If you're really concerned, you could board her for the day, or arrange to take time off work to be there while someone is in your apartment. If your landlord "forgets" to tell you someone will be coming in, make sure they know that YOU know your rights to privacy, and that advance notice is required by Florida state law.

Quote:
In most states, without advance notice, a landlord or manager may enter rented premises while a tenant is living there only in an emergency -- such as a fire or serious water leak -- or when the tenant gives permission.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 02:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Crate the dog or board for a day.When my husband and I rented,our landlord always gave us notice. There were a couple of times that we had to have something fixed,but weren't able to be home. I just crated the dogs and everything was fine. I guess it just depends on where you live,but I was never worried about trusting any repairmen in my home while weren't there.
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 03:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Coming into apartment when I'm not home

I personally would never allow anyone into my rental if I was not home. And I expect them to respect that.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Jmm4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 03:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

I never allowed anyone in my home unless I was there. When I submitted my maintenance request online I always made sure to put a note on there to not enter if we don't answer because I have dogs. I am sure Chief would attack anyone that comes into our home without us there.

Chief-GSD
frillint1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
DTS
Master Member

basically they will need to be in the kitchen, bathroom and closet. My apartment is 600 sq ft. the kitchen is apart of the lving room, and the bathroom and closet connect into my bedroom so I don't have any extra rooms. I thought about just crating and making sure the crate was secure enough she couldn't get out, but then I told them i would just rather have them work around my schedule. He didn't want to start it today because he will need another person and they are only on call on weekends but he said for this because it has been going on for sometime they will work on the weekends. Im hoping tommorrow since I have off from clinic they can get most of it done and then my boyfriend gets home at 2 tomorrow afternoon and they can hopefully finish then.
i dont have any extra money for board and shes never been so i have no idea how she would react. I work in a hospital for an internship 10 hrs a day and its an hr drive 1 way so im gone daily from 6:45 to 7 but my BF isnt gone as much so hopefully tues afternoon and thursday afternoon they can get this done.
Everytime i take a bath water that is supposed to drain out drains all over the floor and into my closet. Everytime the upstsirs neighbors use the water i get water in my bathroom on the floor and in my closet. the walls are wapred in the bathroom and the closet as well as the wood under our bathroom sink cabinet and mols is starting to form. I have no idea the extend of the damage, how long this has been going on atleast since we moved in (June) but hopefully they will only need a day and a half or 2
DTS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 05:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Can a friend or family member watch her?

When I was in my apartment I was more worried about them letting my cats out then my cocker spaniel, he didn't react to people. When I moved to a house with a roommate the landlord respected that we had pets and only came while we were there, thankfully we worked opposite shifts normally so we were able to work it out pretty easily.

Now we own our house so we don't have to worry about it anymore

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 06:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

I agree with everyone that says board your dog for a day but even better is stay home. I would not let anyone roam around my house when i was gone, you know they are going to go thru personal belongings, like they always do when no one is watching them.

Mark.o
marksteven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 07:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

We always made sure to mark the nifty little box that says "No permission to enter without resident present". Our dogs were loose and Zena had NO problems going after an intruder. Our landlord loved her to death but wasnt dumb enough to send anyone in when we were not home. Here they're required to give 24 hours notice minimum before they need to enter the property. Base housing is also required to give 24 hour notice so it's not been an issue. Riley is...mentally unstable at this point and theres no telling what he would do with a stranger coming into the house without us home. He doesn't realize yet that he can bust out of his crate if he wanted to but he's sure given it a half hearted attempt. Shasta likely wouldn't care.

I also dont allow anyone into my home without me present. Just a bad idea.
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus CA 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
KZoppa is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.