Coming into apartment when I'm not home - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2013, 08:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Oh, nobody comes into my apartment without me home.

I have a beware of dog sign taped to my door and management in my building knows Hunter is trained in protection sports and I tell them "he won't let you in" - even though I've never tested that theory. Either way, I don't want them in and they're afraid of dogs so they won't come in without me there.

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 09:00 PM   #12 (permalink)

We own our home now, but I never, ever let anyone come in my apartment without me there when I did live in apts.

When we were remodeling our kitchen and bathroom and putting in a sun porch, though, we had so many guys in and out! I kept the pets with me in an area they weren't working most of the time, and I was always there. Even my shy, nervous dog was okay with it if I was there.

The funny thing in that situation is that your pets get used to all the guys who come in day after day and certain pets develop a liking for certain guys! My oldest dog LOVED the owner of the company who built my porch. And we had a cat who adored the tile guy and would sit next to him politely and pat each tile as he set it into place! He never got in the way or disturbed anything, just carefully "helped" set the tile.
Muneraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 09:02 PM   #13 (permalink)

I also don't allow people in my home when I'm not there, for safety reasons for my animals, so I don't think you're being unreasonable.

However, if you choose that, you may also have some obligations in terms of accommodating the workers' schedules so they can get in there in a timely manner, particularly for an issue like this that is causing property damage. Read your lease and your local laws in that regard. Of course hopefully it's a moot point and they'll be able to get it done over the weekend, but just in case future issues crop up.
Bandit-8 y/o ACD
Wooby-14 y/o ACD
Abutiu "Abi"-ACD puppy and hopeful future SAR dog!
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 09:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I live in the same building as Wild Wolf.

Even though management has known Stark since he was 10 weeks old, they are still afraid of him and will not enter my apartment without me present. They always ask if it's okay for them to come in after knocking on my door.

Both of my dogs know to platz at the marked (invisible mark made by me.. lol) threshold until I give them the release command to greet our visitors.

Because of the fear my landlords have of my dogs, I usually just crate them until they are finished doing what they need too.

I don't feel comfortable allowing people into my apartment without me present so I always ask for them to come when I am home.

If there is an emergency, I have a cell phone and can usually be home within 10 minutes and my dogs are usually with me anyways. Or, if anything were to happen and then needed immediate access to my apartment, Wild Wolf would be able to come down and let them in and take care of the dogs for me. Auntie Wild Wolf will lay down the law if Mommy isn't there so the dogs respect her and trust her.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:41 PM   #15 (permalink)
Elite Member

We originally allowed our landlord to come into our house when we weren't home. Finn was in his kennel in the living room and our old dog would only lick you to death. He brought his young grand-daughter with him without asking once and she terrorized the old girl and threw non-edible items (crayons, a pen, and a handfull of cat food amongst other things) into Finn's kennel.

Thankfully, the property changed hands and I have a new landlord. Needless to say, he knows he cannot come into the home without our permission and without someone being here, no exceptions.

Finnian The Irish Lad WGSD: SAR
Abeni the Little Warrior: Pomeranian rescue.

"Res nos operor ut alius algo"
"Go mairidís beo"
Shaolin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 11:42 PM   #16 (permalink)
Elite Member

For the most part I am not comfortable with this either. And landlords do have to give notice. HOWEVER, in the case of an emergency, they are allowed access. You live on the third floor and your toilet is leaking into the floors below, they NEED to get in and fix that! It just comes with the territory of living in an apartment.

For that reason alone, when I move into an apartment in the next couple months, my dog will ALWAYS be kenneled, no matter how well behaved he is. Because it's not worth it when there's an emergency and my dog attacks the maintenance man and I now have one very dead dog.

BTW, it does seem a little innapropriate to expect maintenance to work around your schedule on a major repair simply because you have a dog.

Berlin vom Spartanville 1/13/13
Zeke 5/25/07
Luther 2008 - 7/23/12

"Take this trouble from me: Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." Max Von Stephanitz
Anubis_Star is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 11:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
Elite Member

That's just my opinion, I didn't mean for that to come off as rude

Berlin vom Spartanville 1/13/13
Zeke 5/25/07
Luther 2008 - 7/23/12

"Take this trouble from me: Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." Max Von Stephanitz
Anubis_Star is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 12:20 AM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

if you crate your dog in another room with the door
closed will that work?
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 12:57 AM   #19 (permalink)
Elite Member

*removed by moderator*

Im in a house and they will do it sometime this year, when I was in an apartment all inspections were 24 hour notice. Well I went to my car and forgot something and went back up and there was the government inspector, alongside a maintainance worker who didnt speak english who let him in. He was doing his reinspection with zero permission? he had to check that they installed the smoke detectors in each bedroom. I wish I had a gsd then...

Last edited by Cassidy's Mom; 01-26-2013 at 03:17 AM. Reason: No politics allowed!
volcano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.