Recovering from this surgery is a pain.. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2013, 08:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Recovering from this surgery is a pain..

in my butt.

Not going as easily as I thought... having your jaw shaved along with impacted wisdom teeth removed is not funny business!! My whole bottom jaw is swollen and feels like jello, it's been 3 days and I am still on the pudding/yogurt/soup diet..The pain is terrible, I actually ran out of pain meds and needed a refill, seems the pain isnt letting up at all. I still am barely making it four hours without needing to take more pain meds. My mouth is so sore, and swollen, and I cant even open it up all the way. Hope it starts to get better soon...

Anyone else have this much trouble after a wisdom teeth extraction surgery??

On a different note, my main man Berlin has been such a good boy while i've been dying over here. TONS of kisses (and sniffs). He can smell my ouchies. lol. He is such a compassionate boy! He's been snuggling in my bed with me and being such a lover!
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 09:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

If it makes you feel any better, I had mine extracted by my dentist, not a surgeon, while conscious (local block, no gas), and walked home afterward. No prescriptions. Couldn't afford an oral surgeon. One he did not suture, so it was a nasty open clot for days, I had to be so careful. The wound from the impacted one was thankfully sutured, so it healed much faster. He said it was one of the most impacted teeth he'd ever removed (and he retired about a month later, in his 70s).

Hope you start feeling better soon. Eat lots of ice cream and milk shakes (without a straw)!
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 09:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

well no two compacted wisdom teeth are alike, some are more complicated than others. wishing you a speedy recovery and a refill of pain meds, lol
lorihd@comcast.net is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 09:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

How strange that an operation on your teeth would cause a pain in your butt.... (I could not resist...)

To further irritate the OP, I had one wisdom tooth. It came out very slickly. I felt so good I felt I had to go back to work afterward.
middleofnowhere is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 09:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Did they check for dry socket? That would cause more pain.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I had all four removed by my dentist(just numbed, no sedation) drove myself to the pharmacy for meds, and drooled all over while requesting the Rx. I can't believe they didn't let me fill it before the procedure! I took only one pain pill and the next day I went back to work. I had the procedure done in my 40's. The dentist had to use his foot on the chair as leverage to pull them out. The noise was as bad as everything else, hearing them being pulled out!

What does having your 'jaw shaved' mean? Wishing you a smooth recovery, starting now!

Last edited by onyx'girl; 01-19-2013 at 09:45 PM.
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 09:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glinny View Post
Did they check for dry socket? That would cause more pain.
The office is closed until monday, if the pain does not subside by then, I will be making a visit there to check for that..

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleofnowhere View Post
How strange that an operation on your teeth would cause a pain in your butt.... (I could not resist...)

To further irritate the OP, I had one wisdom tooth. It came out very slickly. I felt so good I felt I had to go back to work afterward.
haha, very strange isnt it....? Lucky you that you felt so great to go to work afterward!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorihd@comcast.net View Post
well no two compacted wisdom teeth are alike, some are more complicated than others. wishing you a speedy recovery and a refill of pain meds, lol
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
If it makes you feel any better, I had mine extracted by my dentist, not a surgeon, while conscious (local block, no gas), and walked home afterward. No prescriptions. Couldn't afford an oral surgeon. One he did not suture, so it was a nasty open clot for days, I had to be so careful. The wound from the impacted one was thankfully sutured, so it healed much faster. He said it was one of the most impacted teeth he'd ever removed (and he retired about a month later, in his 70s).

Hope you start feeling better soon. Eat lots of ice cream and milk shakes (without a straw)!
Yikes! Couldnt ever do that! But hey, I dont blame ya, these oral surgeons cost a pretty penny, and dental insurance sucks so bad. But they had to come out, and since my jaw needed to be shaved and whatever else, I had no choice but to see an oral surgeon.. I cant even imagine not having pain meds, or sutures in! Thanks though, I hope I do too. I have been eating a lot of all that good stuff (no straw!) but I am slightly tired of non solid foods...I just want a big juicy filet mignon at this point..
Old 01-19-2013, 09:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Hope you get well soon.
Loneforce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 09:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
I had all four removed by my dentist(just numbed, no sedation) drove myself to the pharmacy for meds, and drooled all over while requesting the Rx. I can't believe they didn't let me fill it before the procedure! I took only one pain pill and the next day I went back to work. I had the procedure done in my 40's. The dentist had to use his foot on the chair as leverage to pull them out. The noise was as bad as everything else, hearing them being pulled out!

What does having your 'jaw shaved' mean?
I can't believe they didnt let you fill it before either! I cant imagine hearing them being pulled out, omg, dental stuff just makes me wanna pass out lol.

And as for having my jaw shaved, the two in my lower jaw were embedded sideways in the actual jaw bone, so he had to break them to get them out, and then shave down the jaw bone to completely get them out/smooth the hole out? I actually am not too sure, didn't ask about it too much, I just know it hurts really bad, and I'm glad I wasnt awake to hear him grinding it down. My top jaw where the other two got removed actually doesn't hurt too bad at all. Those two came out in one piece, and apparently easily. Anywho, I have TMJ really bad on one side of my jaw, so I dont know if that is contributing to the pain also.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Wow, you must be suffering! Your procedure was way, way more than just extracting. I'd want to be in a twilight state for a few days after that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.