Recovering from this surgery is a pain.. - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2013, 09:54 AM   #21 (permalink)
Crowned Member

First, call the doctor first thing tomorrow if you are in that much pain. You may have dry socket. That is the worse pain I've ever felt. And I've had two children, broken bones, appendix out, gallbladder out...and it's still the worse pain I've ever felt. If it's dry socket, he will pack it with a gauze soaked in some medicine and it is instant relief.

Can you put ice on your face? That might help reduce the swelling. And I would want a better description of what he did to your jaw. Are you sure your jaw isn't cracked? My mother's was broken when her wisdom teeth were taken out.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 10:06 AM   #22 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdlover91 View Post
in my butt.

Not going as easily as I thought... having your jaw shaved along with impacted wisdom teeth removed is not funny business!! My whole bottom jaw is swollen and feels like jello, it's been 3 days and I am still on the pudding/yogurt/soup diet..The pain is terrible, I actually ran out of pain meds and needed a refill, seems the pain isnt letting up at all. I still am barely making it four hours without needing to take more pain meds. My mouth is so sore, and swollen, and I cant even open it up all the way. Hope it starts to get better soon...

Anyone else have this much trouble after a wisdom teeth extraction surgery??

On a different note, my main man Berlin has been such a good boy while i've been dying over here. TONS of kisses (and sniffs). He can smell my ouchies. lol. He is such a compassionate boy! He's been snuggling in my bed with me and being such a lover!
had mine in the navy, got one night off and back to work . it was sore, but not too bad.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 10:34 AM   #23 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'd try calling the dentist today ... he may have an emergency answering service and be able to call in better pain meds until he can see you.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #24 (permalink)

I agree with above, and hope you get some relief soon!

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 01:48 PM   #25 (permalink)
Elite Member

I feel your pain. All of mine were growing in sideways and the ones on the bottom required removal of small portions of the jaw bone. I was laid up for a good week and a half with a puffy face. I don't remember being in a lot of pain, but then again, my mother was feeding me Vicodin like it was candy.

I hope you feel better soon! Like everyone said, I'd call and see if the doc has an after-hours number to make sure you don't have dry socket.

Finnian The Irish Lad WGSD: SAR
Abeni the Little Warrior: Pomeranian rescue.

"Res nos operor ut alius algo"
"Go mairidís beo"
Shaolin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 03:19 PM   #26 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
I feel your pain. All of mine were growing in sideways and the ones on the bottom required removal of small portions of the jaw bone. I was laid up for a good week and a half with a puffy face. I don't remember being in a lot of pain, but then again, my mother was feeding me Vicodin like it was candy.

I hope you feel better soon! Like everyone said, I'd call and see if the doc has an after-hours number to make sure you don't have dry socket.
Sounds like you had something similar done, so I don't feel as bad for feeling this way 4 days after. If i stay on top of the pain meds (take em like every four hours) I wont be in pain...but if I forget, then oh geez, its bad. Just in case I am going to call the surgeon to make sure there is no dry socket Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
I agree with above, and hope you get some relief soon!
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
First, call the doctor first thing tomorrow if you are in that much pain. You may have dry socket. That is the worse pain I've ever felt. And I've had two children, broken bones, appendix out, gallbladder out...and it's still the worse pain I've ever felt. If it's dry socket, he will pack it with a gauze soaked in some medicine and it is instant relief.

Can you put ice on your face? That might help reduce the swelling. And I would want a better description of what he did to your jaw. Are you sure your jaw isn't cracked? My mother's was broken when her wisdom teeth were taken out.
Ive been putting an ice pack on my face, it does help. I'm pretty sure my jaw isnt cracked/broken at least i'd HOPE its not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivagirl View Post
All top teeth removed, gums shaved down, stitches. Just local. I died. This is the Phoenix talking. Okay, so I exaggerate somewhat. It hurt, and when pain meds ran out, I was sucking down 800 mg of ibuprofen whenever my time was up. My face was swollen for about 10 days.

I feel for you. How are you today? Have you called the surgeon? Maybe you do have dry socket.
I am in the same amount of pain as i've been since I got it done, it literally has not let up at all..

Quote:
Originally Posted by wink-_-wink View Post
Wisdom teeth are the worst! My favorite art tho is seeing people right after it! They are a little loopy their faces are al swollen its really funny until the pain meds wear off... then it is **** ON EARTH!! I am doing everything in my power to keep mine... They say I may have to have them removed if I want to deploy again... Hmmm no surgery and no afghanistan.... tough choice... now if it threatens my career, absolutely they can take all the teeth they want lol. Anyway dont mean to laugh it was just funny to me cuz my friend just got hers out the other day and she made a "david after dentist" style video and I was in tears!! Hope you feel better, it is normal for those things to hurt for days! pray you dont have a dry socket but if you dont smoke or drink through a straw you should be ok. take your pills and relax!! i will never say enjoy a beer with those pills but if you accidentally do you won't feel a THING hahah ;0)
I havent been drinking through a straw and I dont smoke, and I have been careful to not spit, so if I do have dry socket, I am just really unlucky lol. Thanks though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksotto333 View Post
Well, glad your explained the jaw shaving, I was picturing the bearded woman from the circus. It sounds like your procedure was very invasive. Sorry your recovery is slow..hope your better soon..
Haha! glad i cleared that up, thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriesue View Post
I am like literally cringing and shuddering reading all these stories, lol! I am glad I'm younger and didn't have to experience the way things "used" to be done, I wouldn't have survived it.

I have TMJ problems too, I can relate! It gives me migraine bad headaches if I start clenching, I am so bad about remembering to wear my mouth guard.

I know it sucks but I hope you feel better soon! Hey at least you don't have to go in every three months like me for a deep cleaning... The part I dread most about that is the numbing shots, oh they HURT... I have to get gassed before they give me those shots, yes I am that BIG of a wuss.
TMJ sucks! I hate those headaches that radiate down your neck too. The pain I am having currently is really bad on my TMJ side, I wonder if the surgery cause d an arthritic flare up? (I was diagnosed with arthritis in my jaw - at 22 years old - sad right?) I hate dental cleanings, and those shots! I do have to get them though for a regular cleaning because I have a few nerves exposed due to grinding from the TMJ, they literally cannot clean those teeth without them being numbed. Im a big wuss too, dont feel bad !

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelE View Post
I had mine out while in the Air Force. They too were impacted sideways butted up against the last molar.

The oral surgeon cracked them in peices and extracted each one. I was concious, but don't remember much.

I was not in nearly the pain you are suffering and was back to the nukes in two days.

I hope you get to feeling better.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaia_bear View Post
I was out of commission for about a week when I had mine out. It was more annoying and uncomfortable than painful but my stepmother did a wonderful job of keeping me well medicated. One thing that worked for me on top of the pain meds was muscle relaxers so my jaw didn't tense up, I also have mild TMJ and the oral surgeon suggested I add those into my fun little cocktail. I'm envious that you're eating, I couldn't/didn't want to eat for the first couple of days after.
You know, I didnt even think about that. My jaw is tensed up, so those would probably help that.

Thanks again everyone, I am going to call the surgeon today, this pain is really becoming annoying
Old 01-20-2013, 04:45 PM   #27 (permalink)

I had four impacted wisdom teeth taken out close to 40 years ago. The only thing I remember when I woke up was the worst sore throat in my life.
m1953 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 02:07 PM   #28 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Recovering from this surgery is a pain..

Going to the surgeon in a few minutes. Hoping for some relief of this pain! Also adding to my wonderful recovery is some weird sickness (hope not the flu). I've been in bed for two days straight. Ugh nightmare. Just wanna eat without being in pain and now being nauseated.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.