Recovering from this surgery is a pain.. - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2013, 09:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member

I feel for you, Oral pain is horrible. I had all my wisdom teeth pulled while on active duty. suprisingly, the Army dentist did a top notch job, however back then the highest level of pain meds given was Tylenol with codine. when i had both of my knee surgeries, i had my prescription for Vicodin prefilled for me.

Mark.o
marksteven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 09:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Wow, you must be suffering! Your procedure was way, way more than just extracting. I'd want to be in a twilight state for a few days after that.
Yeah, the after math isnt going as smoothly as I thought. Everyone who had theirs out said it was easy peasy, you are only out for like a day. Psshhhh not over here..but I guess I did have a little more than just a simple extraction done.

BUT, this swelling can go down now! My cheeks are swollen, and so my teeth keep rubbing against them, so now I have sores there, along with wounds/stitches on my gums, a swollen lower jaw..ugh

I was sleepy the day I got it done, and slept most of the day...but today and yesterday I have been bored out of my skull! I want to go out and do things, but I think I have been making it worse by not resting.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksteven View Post
I feel for you, Oral pain is horrible. I had all my wisdom teeth pulled while on active duty. suprisingly, the Army dentist did a top notch job, however back then the highest level of pain meds given was Tylenol with codine. when i had both of my knee surgeries, i had my prescription for Vicodin prefilled for me.
I hate anything that has to do with teeth and jaws etc. Unfortunately, in my 22 years of life, I have had many problems in regards to my teeth/jaw. Atleast they gave you some good stuff for your knee surgeries! I wouldnt want to feel THAT kind of pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneforce View Post
Hope you get well soon.
Thanks
Old 01-19-2013, 10:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master Member

I was out of commission for about a week when I had mine out. It was more annoying and uncomfortable than painful but my stepmother did a wonderful job of keeping me well medicated. One thing that worked for me on top of the pain meds was muscle relaxers so my jaw didn't tense up, I also have mild TMJ and the oral surgeon suggested I add those into my fun little cocktail. I'm envious that you're eating, I couldn't/didn't want to eat for the first couple of days after.

Courtney M.
Gaia-GSD 03/09/2012
Cuervo vom Kiebitzende 07/01/2013
gaia_bear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 10:55 PM   #15 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I had mine out while in the Air Force. They too were impacted sideways butted up against the last molar.

The oral surgeon cracked them in peices and extracted each one. I was concious, but don't remember much.

I was not in nearly the pain you are suffering and was back to the nukes in two days.

I hope you get to feeling better.

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 06:33 AM   #16 (permalink)
Elite Member

I am like literally cringing and shuddering reading all these stories, lol! I am glad I'm younger and didn't have to experience the way things "used" to be done, I wouldn't have survived it.

I have TMJ problems too, I can relate! It gives me migraine bad headaches if I start clenching, I am so bad about remembering to wear my mouth guard.

I know it sucks but I hope you feel better soon! Hey at least you don't have to go in every three months like me for a deep cleaning... The part I dread most about that is the numbing shots, oh they HURT... I have to get gassed before they give me those shots, yes I am that BIG of a wuss.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:43 AM   #17 (permalink)
Elite Member

Well, glad your explained the jaw shaving, I was picturing the bearded woman from the circus. It sounds like your procedure was very invasive. Sorry your recovery is slow..hope your better soon..
ksotto333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 07:22 AM   #18 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I did not have my jaw shaved so I cannot imagine. Mine were cut up with a chisel and I was awake in the chair - two trips, one for top one for bottom. I was out for a day or two.

I have had a leg bone pinned but I would guess there are so many more sensory nerves in the face. I would ask for more medicine. You could call the emergency number and see if you can up the dose of what you already have (if they gave you enough - I know with things like lortab they often only give you a few pills between visits = like 15, yet they have higher doses........you con't really want to overdo the lortabs though because of the tylenol.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 07:36 AM   #19 (permalink)

Wisdom teeth are the worst! My favorite art tho is seeing people right after it! They are a little loopy their faces are al swollen its really funny until the pain meds wear off... then it is **** ON EARTH!! I am doing everything in my power to keep mine... They say I may have to have them removed if I want to deploy again... Hmmm no surgery and no afghanistan.... tough choice... now if it threatens my career, absolutely they can take all the teeth they want lol. Anyway dont mean to laugh it was just funny to me cuz my friend just got hers out the other day and she made a "david after dentist" style video and I was in tears!! Hope you feel better, it is normal for those things to hurt for days! pray you dont have a dry socket but if you dont smoke or drink through a straw you should be ok. take your pills and relax!! i will never say enjoy a beer with those pills but if you accidentally do you won't feel a THING hahah ;0)
Old 01-20-2013, 07:53 AM   #20 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to zivagirl

All top teeth removed, gums shaved down, stitches. Just local. I died. This is the Phoenix talking. Okay, so I exaggerate somewhat. It hurt, and when pain meds ran out, I was sucking down 800 mg of ibuprofen whenever my time was up. My face was swollen for about 10 days.

I feel for you. How are you today? Have you called the surgeon? Maybe you do have dry socket.
zivagirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.