[Houston ppl Help!]Aptments make no exceptions for police officers... - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

"Many types of bribes exist: tip, gift, sop, perk, skim, favor, discount, waived fee/ticket, free food, free ad, free trip, free tickets, sweetheart deal,"

Although these are considered "bribes" they are not illegal. If your logic is correct, anyone who has ever left a tip, received a gift or a discount, or had a fee waived is guilty of bribery.
x0emiroxy0x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 12:26 PM   #22 (permalink)
Banned

He has to be on call 2 nights a week on his days off. From 5pm until 8am. He will certainly have people knocking on his door for help, and I am sure they will have no problem with his having a discount since he is protecting the community.

I don't understand everyone getting so excited over this...it is not a secret and everyone is completely open about it here. Before I even had an officer as a boyfriend, I knew it.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:28 PM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
A police officer doesn't clock out at the end of his shift.
Neither do medics. If my husband sees someone with a medical emergency he can suffer legal consequences if he does nothing.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #24 (permalink)
Banned

x0, perhaps you need to check out what his department allows - although this is old it's probably still accurate -
Law Enforcement Rental Discounts

Quote:
Federal government employees are alllowed to receive dsicounts "as long as the discount is available to a large category of people" or words to that effect. For example, I am permitted to receive "police discounts" or "government discounts."
Quote:
...The rental discounts can be a good deal, but also a potential "minefield". Locally, many apartment complexes give Officers a discount on rent, but expect them to be available for lockouts, disturbances,including domestics,and the list goes on. Not too conducive to a life outside of work. The agency from which I'm retired,(Alabama Department of Public Safety) did not./does not permit Officers to recieve the discounts we've been discussing. So, that varies from agency to agency.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:35 PM   #25 (permalink)
Banned

Msvette2u

Perhaps you should mind your own business? You seem keen to try to prove my boyfriend is doing something unethical and illegal when you have never met him? That is quite rude and a huge assumption on your part....as a random person on a dog forum who lives very far from me, has no formal education regarding law, and does not know the laws of my state, and does not know me. You have overstepped....

Did you not read my post? He is working for them two nights a week. His discount is how they pay him.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:35 PM   #26 (permalink)

I didn't see the OP saying he was asking for a *discount* because he's an officer, just mentioning that it happens. And yes, my landlords always knew my occupation since I had to put it on my application, sometimes show them a pay stub, and they ran credit checks on us. So I don't think it's a big deal if he mentions it when applying. Unless it's some really crappy housing that doesn't check on the applicants, it's going to come out anyway.

I'm sure the patrol car being around is a positive thing. Even someone like me who has nothing to hide and has never done anything shady or out of line in my life will stiffen up a bit when I walk past a patrol car. There are three officers that live in my parents-in-law's neighborhood and when I'm walking my dogs past those houses/patrol cars I'm always subconsciously making sure my dogs are on their best behavior. It's a visual deterrent, just like a GSD. I think my previous landlords liked that we always had at least one GSD. No one ever tried to break in or trespass despite the neighborhood being a bit iffy and their being an arsonist on the loose continuously burning homes within a 1 mile radius around ours (and he was caught living 1/4 mile away).
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #27 (permalink)
Banned

Now that I am done defending myself from someone who has no concept of the law....

Does anyone know of any good home rental locators in the Houston/ Sugarland area?

If the two apartments we spoke with call back and allow Shepherds, we will stay there. Otherwise, it looks like we will be renting a house
Old 01-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #28 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post

Whereas this might seem like a great deal to those of us who aren't in law enforcement and perhaps unfair, the officer can (and will) have folks knock on his/her door 24/7 expecting him/her to put on their super hero cape and jump into duty.
I have had many police officers as neighbors and as friends and I never involved them in anything if they weren't actually "on duty"...yes I understand that they are always on duty, but I also understand they have a life and 911 can respond just as quick as me running next door and waking up my neighbor.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC
Brennan- Golden Retriever

"A dog is the only thing on this earth that loves you
more than he loves himself."
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #29 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
has no formal education regarding law
Well, that goes to show what happens when you assume.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:58 PM   #30 (permalink)
Elite Member

I lived in the Lodge at Spring Shadows with an ex. He had a GSD and I fostered them. They allow them. It's a very nice complex.

The Lodge at Spring Shadows
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.