Leaving Titan for 7 months.. advice.. - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2013, 01:31 AM   #11 (permalink)
Knighted Member

i think it is awesome that these folks will take in your dog for 7 months. trust your judgement, you wouldn't have asked them to care for titan if you didn't think they were up to the task. sounds like your are planning correctly. good luck and stay safe.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 01:39 AM   #12 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenzachsmom View Post
When I watch someone else's dog, I want to know what is normal for the dog? How many times a day does he poop and when. What is the normal consistency of the poop for this dog. Is the dog prone to upset stomachs and if so is anything given - medicine or special diet? I want all the veterinarians' contact information. I want to know if the dog is allowed any human food, or treats other than the dogfood provided. I want to know exact amounts of food given to the dog.

I have to change the routine to fit my own routine - example: Visiting dog eats the same time my dog eats. Gets play time with my dog and individual playtime. I like to know what commands the dog knows and what words or signals are used. I like to know where the dog prefers to sleep, if he needs a crate, or can be trusted alone in the house.

You cannot give too much information. Definitely try to visit ahead of time, so Titan is comfortable and knows you are coming back. Have your directions typed up ahead of time, so if the sitters have questions, they can ask, before you leave.

Titan will be fine. Dogs are very adaptable. He will be ecstatic to see you, after the 7 months, but he will settle in fine, while you are gone.

Stay safe. Take good care of you. Trust the people who are taking care of Titan. If they are dog people, they will do fine. If training gets rusty, you can fix it when you get back.
Thank you for that.. makes me feel a little better. They are definitely dog people as far as the love goes. Since I have known them, almost a year now, they have been talking about getting a dog but waiting for the right time. They just moved into a new place and have essentially told me Titan will be their trial, lol. I know that they will love him and take care of him, She is already asking me if she can spoil him in this way or that so I'm not worried too much about that. However, I know my dog, and I know that for people that aren't used to 1: GSDs and 2: high energy dogs, Titan tends to take a lot out of people. I absolutely plan on giving them typed instructions on everything and would like them to have him for a couple nights before I leave so that I know he settled in well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycobraracr View Post
My only response is this:

We are very good friends and I live with your best friend. You know we train every day and that we would have loved to have Titan come stay with us. You still chose to have someone else do it? Huh! Now I know where we stand

P.S. Don't try and blame it on the fact we live on the oposite sides of the country.
And hush you! Believe me.... if there was a way without paying so dang much I would have GLADLY had you guys watch him without a worry in my mind... HOWEVER I do believe you have enough on your hands right now with your 2 dominant females am I right??? I know... I'm right...

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 01:40 AM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
i think it is awesome that these folks will take in your dog for 7 months. trust your judgement, you wouldn't have asked them to care for titan if you didn't think they were up to the task. sounds like your are planning correctly. good luck and stay safe.
This is true.. I guess it's just getting closer to the time and I'm starting to do the Mom panic thing... l do really trust them.. I know they will take good care of him but I have never left him with someone for that long before so I'm just making sure I've got all my ducks in a row you know?

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 09:25 AM   #14 (permalink)

I currently have someone's Belgian Malinois for 2 months. This person has a military commitment and their life circumstances changed (divorce) just prior to the scheduled time to report. This girl has been with me since just after the New Year and seems to me to be settled nicely. I am POSITIVE she will be over the moon when her Dad shows up to collect her but in the mean time she is busily worming her way in my heart and home.

I have been brushing up some training things that her Dad and I discussed before he left and enforcing with my family that she does not get table food. My parents love to spoil dogs with food so that has been and HARD no exceptions rule.

I am able to text her Dad about once a week with an update and try to include a snapshot from my phone. All the best to you and wish you a fast and safe return.

Cain von Hena-C, VPG A, TT 10/19/2003 - 12/17/2009
Gone but not forgotten.

Dazzle von Linienbach, 02/07/2009
Learning the ropes.
CainGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.